Model Cars Magazine Forum

The Sexiest and Most Valuable Car in the Galaxy Offered for Sale

And, as for as I'm concerned, spending $60 million bucks on a car is kind of vulgar, really. If I had that kind of dough burning a hole in my pocket I think I'd rather send a few thousand kids to college instead.

you could not give that car to me ,very nice car ,just not something I would want ,

I agree! No way on this Earth would I buy that car.

Hyperbole is the standard way of communicating in this modern day. Everything is "Extreme" and :Sexiest". Items and people in this world can no longer exist without some retched tag exclaiming their unique status or rarity and beauty.

Kim Kardashian is no more the worlds most beautiful woman than my ex-wife is. Both are built wonderfully, and both are completely vapid and have sub standard IQ's. Easy on the eyes, with little substance beneath it all.

There is a good argument for the 67 Scaglietti Charlie linked to. A Cobra and E-Type are also waaaaay high on my list. And that Gullwing? MaMa Mia!!!!! [Yeah, I know it's German]

In the end, they are all the finest forms of car sculpture ever to roll of the line. You couldn't go wrong with picking any one and enjoying it for a lifetime.

Bob

I'm not sure if I am the only one who is disturbed by the collector car scene in general these days?

When I see what cars --not necessarily the ultra-rare cars like the 250 GTO-- are going for if it is older than 25-30 years, has become so outrageous that it defies logic. Sure these buyers have the money for this stuff, and I know the saying goes, "the value is whatever someone is willing to pay for it"...yet it seems to be bordering on criminal now.

What I also cannot figure out, is how do people have the money to blow even on the vintage muscle cars? Watching any Mecum or Barrett-Jackson auction, you see car prices creeping upward continually. Is this even sustainable long-term?

But on the note of this 250 GTO, it's a beautiful car, but beautiful enough to justify north of $50 million USD, even with rarity factored in? No. There's far more valuable things in life than buying a vintage Ferrari [or insert any other car here] that's just going to sit in another private collection, and never driven.

I have long been a believer in form follows function. If something, no matter what it is, performs up to & beyond it's designed purpose, that it is an achievement. If it looks good doing it, then you have pure genius. Whatever anyone's thoughts are about this car (& those like it), it has achieved that status. It has to be appreciated for what it is. My hats off to those who have the means & desire to preserve these works of art for mere laymen such as myself to enjoy when they are displayed. There's nothing better to me than going to Road America & watching guys like Augie Pabst or George Stauffer blasting around the circuit at breakneck speeds in priceless race cars. After all, that's what they are for.

I'm not sure if I am the only one who is disturbed by the collector car scene in general these days?

What chaps my grumpy old fossil ass is the fact that most of these things have become elite objets d'art, and as such have become nothing more than a means to make really rich folks even richer when they get rid of them for some new toy.

This car will never again be used for what it was MADE for, which is going REALLY FAST.

It's also kinda sad to me that folks pay 10s of millions of dollars for paintings by guys like VanGogh, but the painter himself died penniless. Folks happily bid on and cash in on his talent, with little if any compassion for the obvious suffering of the man.

Nice that Nick Mason understands and drives his cars. http://www.ft.com/cms/s/2/7d43d73e-22f0-11e2-938d-00144feabdc0.html#slide0

no reserve....I may jump in.....if bidding starts at $100...... :D

it is what it is, I suspect your views would change on a lot of things if $60 mill was 'pocket change' to you.

besides, look what we pay for models, some folks would say we are crazy [...and you have to build it too?...], so it's all relative.

[your mileage may vary, this is only my opinion :) ]

it is what it is, I suspect your views would change on a lot of things if $60 mill was 'pocket change' to you.

besides, look what we pay for models, some folks would say we are crazy [...and you have to build it too?...], so it's all relative.

You are right. It's all relative as to where you stand in life. Doesn't matter if you were born rich or earned it yourself.

I collect a certain series of stamps that were produced between 1903-08. Every once in a while something pops up that I haven't seen before, so I must have it. It shouldn't be expensive, but I'll pop in a $100 bid on it, which is my way of saying 'buy at any price'. Most other collectors would think I'm insane, but $100 doesn't matter to me. I just want that item.

Collecting Ferarri's works the same way. A guy who has long lost count of how many billion his family has, wants that car. So it makes no matter to him that he's paid $60 million for it. Even that amount of money is meaningless to him. He just wanted the trinket.

Beyond that these cars get bought by investment groups to hold a few years and put back up to auction. They can get a pretty good return on that investment when the guy who missed out last time ups his ante.

Oh, and the $100 stamp that shouldn't have sold for more than a few dollars? This week someone paid $128 for it. Yea, bigger fools than me are out there.

If this car is going any place, it's going to a collection in Abu-Dabi or some were in that general area. Arab oil has very deep pockets, and loves old cars.

Wrong. They are all into one-off flashy hypercars, like Matt pink Lamborghinis.

These type of cars go to collections in either US or Europe. Very rarely to the middle east. And believe it or not, A LOT of them are not only driven the way they were meant, but in some occasions even trade paint.