Model Cars Magazine Forum

Jimmy Flintstone

I have a few Flintstone resin bodies that I have bought off of Ebay and they're pretty darned nice. His '60 Chevy sedan delivery and the '60 Impala wagon are not perfectly accurate but the quality is still good as far as appearance and outright quality goes. The sadan delivery has El Camino doors that whoever made the master never bothered to correct and the back end of the Nomad needs some imagination. I'm going to order a '60 Nomad from Tom Coolidge at Promolite given that he has fixed the booboo's and his a clone of the original Craftsman Nomad. I may try one of Jimmy's complete kits - maybe the '58 Chevy sedan delivery. I am never worried when I buy one of his products and i already have a sedan delivery body of his but I want one with the proper interior rather than one that I have to make from scratch. Just my opinion.

The one and only thing I bought of his I was very disappointed in. The body was under scale and when I contacted them about it I pretty much got the brush off, I will think long and hard before I buy anything from them again.

Underscale? I'm curious what body you bought.....

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...

Jimmy is one of the few after market guys who knows how to do so as a real business with volume. His bodies are low priced, and as such do need more clean up work than say a Modelhaus kit. But it's all in the pricing. As far as ordering from him, I'm sure you will be treated right!

BTW, Jimmy Flintstone is a vendor at NNL East on April 20th! See him there.

I have this A-10 Van and a few more . I've never been disappointed with anything Jimmy does .. I did buy recently a Flintstone from Ebay ; Model Empire . I received the Gremlin within two days . As far as quailty , it is good . Not injection quality as is demanded these days . The Gremlin Body needs the windows and some other flash removed . As far as thick ? I don't think so . As I know it won't warp sitting on a shelf as a finished build . I recommend anything he makes . Thanx ..

thanks guts i'll have to get one then he seems to be the only one with an A100 van just got to have it building a real one but first i'll do the model as a concept because i can't draw

I bought one on eBay from seller "stiffkitty" and the door gap lines were not very straight and it was twice as thick as a typical kit styrene body. The surface is not smooth and polished as you'd find in a kit or one of Motor City Resin Caster's bodies, and while some may not mind the non-smooth texture, I think it makes a big difference.

I suspect the seller I bought from sells JF's lesser quality castings, as I have seen other A-100s here on the forum and in person at swap meets and Model Empire, and the panel lines were far straighter than the one I purchased.

Some of JF's slammer models with cast in place windows are very thick, such as the Screechasaurus Chevy Astro van and the custom Frankenstude(?)but they're supposed to be that way. I've also had JF's Leadstone Cadzilla knockoff in hand and the body was definitely thicker than a styrene kit body, maybe 150% thicker? You do need to do some clean up as the window openings are rough cut and you'll need to do some thinning and lots of dry fitting so that there are no surprises come final assembly time.

Four I have were disappointments. A '56 Ford sedan delivery is swaybacked, extremely thick, and the tooling on the rear door is not straight or even close to symmetrical.

I also have a radically chopped '34 Ford 3-window that's really a good looking model, but again, it's extremely thick and the rear wheel wells are wobbly shaped and just wrong, not round.

One more I can't recommend is a restyled, chopped, sectioned and slammed '50s Buick. It looks cool at first glance, but the restyle leaves no room for actual tires under the rear bodywork, and the symmetry is nonexistent (if that sort of thing bothers you...some people don't care).

The ('50?) '51 Studebaker is a good starting point for something radical, but it appears to be underscale in width. I haven't checked the 1:1 measurements to verify this, but it looks awfully narrow.

On the plus side, the only other one I have is the chopped '49 Ford coupe. It has VERY nice lines and can be the basis for an outstanding model. Actually, all the ones I have were reasonably priced as a starting point to go off in a custom direction, but expect to do some serious work on the ones I mentioned.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

I have 2 JF bodies. a 1970 RT/SE - it's really nice and thickness is pretty close to a stryene kit. Roof and back glass are pretty close to OE. So that one I will definitly use and would recomend

I also have a JF 1964 Plymouth Belvedere sedan body, that one I am kinda bumed on the quality of the moulding above the tail light / aka back edge of the decklid. Theres no way it's usuable as is . combinded with the thickness of the body itself in key areas , I'm not sure if this one will get used or I may just make my own .

Both are still sitting in boxes waiting for there time on the bench

Edited by gtx6970

Here's the thing about Jimmy. I have been hanging around the edges of the model car aftermarket since it began and Jimmy is definitely one of the most honest and

straight-shooting guys in the biz. Take that to the bank.

Yes you can, he's been a friend for years and is a straight forword guy. He's not like most of the people are becoming today. Great guy and a great bussiness man!!!!!

I have quite a number of JF bodies mostly purchased at my LHS.This way I can examine bodies before purchase. Like some here,I have differing opinions on different bodies . I think it totally depends on who did the master .Some are outstanding (the Hornets,Courier SD etc.), some are very usable with a little work(55-57 Suburban), and a few are way too thick and only suitable for shelf models or curbsides. One or two are too much work to make anything realistic out of.

Considering his reasonable pricing and the overall desirability of the subjects, I would recommend almost all of his stuff. I also know from friends who have purchased directly from Jimmy that he is fast ,honest and easy to deal with.

That said it's always good to see what you're buying first hand, if you can, like almost anything in life !

Edited by doggie427

I have quite a number of JF bodies mostly purchased at my LHS.This way I can examine bodies before purchase. Like some here,I have differing opinions on different bodies . I think it totally depends on who did the master .Some are outstanding (the Hornets,Courier SD etc.), some are very usable with a little work(55-57 Suburban), and a few are way too thick and only suitable for shelf models or curbsides. One or two are too much work to make anything realistic out of.

Considering his reasonable pricing and the overall desirability of the subjects, I would recommend almost all of his stuff. I also know from friends who have purchased directly from Jimmy that he is fast ,honest and easy to deal with.

That said it's always good to see what you're buying first hand, if you can, like almost anything in life !

You hit it, it all depends on who ever did the master depends on how the resin copy turns out. If a person does not finish the master in a way that it can be copied. Jimmy takes modeling clay to finish off the inside to make it smooth on the inside so that it will release.

You hit it, it all depends on who ever did the master depends on how the resin copy turns out. If a person does not finish the master in a way that it can be copied. Jimmy takes modeling clay to finish off the inside to make it smooth on the inside so that it will release.

You mean like this?

P3051470_zps33c5ce7a.jpg

Jimmy IS a REALLY nice likeable guy. I talk with him EVERY time I see him at our Bi Annual Toy show. He was ALWAYS 10 bucks for a simple body, but at this last one, his prices went up to 15. Not bad if yo DON'T mind doin a bit of grinding an thinning of the bodies. All in all, he does give a decent buy for the money, plus as I said, he IS a really niceguy.

I've bought two of his items, the Porsche 550 and the Dodge van body for the Little Red Wagon wheel stander kit. Both are very nicely done, but the Porsche kit requires considerable work to represent the vast majority of actual 550's made. His is apparently a very specific car.

I've also had a couple of the items that Testors sold that he mastered, and they were also pretty well done IMHO.