Model Cars Magazine Forum

TWICE DA CHEESE!

Dr. Cranky

Here we go, finally getting back to these two builds which I had started last year and then put away . . . I've added some watch part details to the chassis and body of these two. Right now everything is soaking in soapy warm water and after it all dries, I am going to primer everything in rust color, and see if I can get these suckers to look ratty and glorious! :):P:P

IMG_0005-vi.jpg

The pieces you see on the sweep there are headlight bucket reflectors . . .

IMG_0006-vi.jpg

Here are the bodies with some stylistic touches . . .

IMG_0007-vi.jpg

IMG_0008-vi.jpg

I went back and added better welding to the chopped top . . .

IMG_0009-vi.jpg

IMG_0010-vi.jpg

Stay tuned in for more progress . . .

A rat rod with twin electric cooling fans? :P

Well... the "rat"-rod is a pretty loose term.... personally i'm one of those "don't call my heap a ratrod!! i did'nt f****** fake this rust a**hole!, now go to h*** j***off!!" -kinda people....

///

Looking DAMNED FINE on theese builds there Cranky!, Keep it up, i wanna see more!!

Edited by JAFFA

:rolleyes:;):lol: Harry, I am not worried, most of these parts came from the parts bin . . . so I am imagining someone who needs a radiator and comes up with a dual fan-cooled one! I'm not trying to be a purist either way here . . .

But I do have more progress . . .

I got all the parts in rust-colored primer . . . and I have my work cutout for me because as you can see from the pictures coming up below I have to paint some of the elements individually, like those finned break drums, etc . . .

But you know, it's part of how I like to build these, this way I cut out several sub-assemblies . . . but also create a very sturdy frame . . . most of which I also square up while I am gluing in with cement weld . . .

These two sucker really do look like naked rats! :lol::lol::lol:

IMG_0001-vi.jpg

IMG_0002-vi.jpg

This Plastikote rust primer is fabulous, just like its gray cousin it goes on smooth and thin!!!

:rolleyes:;):lol: Harry, I am not worried, most of these parts came from the parts bin . . . so I am imagining someone who needs a radiator and comes up with a dual fan-cooled one! I'm not trying to be a purist either way here . . .

Maybe he had an old Ferrari up on blocks that he's raiding for parts? :lol:

Cheese, nothing but a good rust foundation!!! ;):lol::lol:

We'll see what colors these two demand to be painted in . . . :lol::lol::D

IMG_0007-vi.jpg

I think one day the rat rod of the future will probably have lots of Ferrari parts . . . those are the kinds of cars which will be around forever . . . though I can imagine a NANO (TATA MOTORS) rusting happily a year after you buy it and it breaks down! :rolleyes:;)

Hello, folks, I am trying on some new painting (weathering really) techniques I picked up from a How-To a friend, Ryan Silva, has been perfecting. He uses sponges and rubbing alcohol . . . and it's quite a lot of fun do do . . . anyway, here are some of the results . . . I'm just working on the body for now, and later I will move on to the chassis . . .

IMG_6-vi.jpg

IMG_0001-vi.jpg

This technique really makes the paint look chipped, which is an effect I am definitely after with these two rat rods . . . or as I like to call them RAT ROTS! B)

Here are some pictures of the roadster body . . . with just a few coats of different browns and greens . . . I have not done the alcohol stage to it yet . . .

IMG_0002-vi.jpg

The body is drying, how could it not, that's the beauty of the alcohol it really dries everything fast . . .

IMG_0004-vi.jpg

The red coupe above is not the final color . . . this sucker is going to be yellow with all the previous colors showing through . . .

The coupe is at a stage now where I will seal it with dullcoat before going on to the final color . . .

IMG_0006-vi.jpg

Thanks, Gary . . .well, I think that's the idea . . . and again, I would say that part of what makes building these kinds of vehicles so much fun is the low stress . . .

I continue to make some progress . . .

This picture clearly shows the effect of the alcohol wash and hard brushing . . .

IMG_0002-vi.jpg

As the alcohol dries, you begin to see the natural chipping that occurs . . .

IMG_5-vi.jpg

This next picture really shows the end results . . .

IMG_0005-vi.jpg

This is the kind of technique that takes its toll on your brushes, so the best thing to do is use the cheapest, hard-bristled brushes you have in your arsenal!

A little more progress to show today . . . I added some decals just to make these two a bit more interesting . . .

IMG_0003-vi.jpg

I think the decals came from the ACES WILD Revell Chopper . . . I thought it fit because of the gold pinstriping . . .

I had to apply Future clear so that the decals would not silver underneath, which they would do I had left the surface flat. Now all I have to do is seal them with dullcoat . . .

IMG_3-vi.jpg]

I found this in one of my heavy truck decals boxes and I thought it said it all!

IMG_0005-vi.jpg

The side decals here came from a Warhammer 40K sheet . . .

IMG_5-vi.jpg

Hola amigo! Im working on my first weathered approach on models cars and i have to say it does make a subject really look good and yours is the ticket.. Keep on wit the keepin on!! Not to familair with these builds but is that skull part of the kit.O' their both awesome but the yellow looks down right mean.....

peace

ajulia

Hi, Ajulia--not that skull graphic comes fror a Warhammer 40K decal sheet. If you are working on a beater, I hope you will show it to us.

Hola Cranky' Im sorry our comm. lines were batched up i meant the skull on the grill of the yellow jallopy that is rugged lookin fer sure :lol: . My first try at weathering is on the death race build-off thats mainly why I joined plus yer dio w the skelton guy drivin hes "rat-rod' is the buisiness. It looks as if hes parked in the alleyway we have down the street from my house. All in all keep on wit the keepin on!!! O' almost fergot you used the mechanics of a time piece to enhance the bodies if so...... thanks fer the heads up im sure I have a broken watch around thanks again..

peace

ajulia

Edited by ajulia