Model Cars Magazine Forum

STACY DAVID/REVELL MODEL KITS CHAMPIONSHIPS

Dr. Cranky

Folks need to slow down for a moment and re-read the rules and understand what this contest is based on. This contest is designed to try and spark added interest in the hobby of building models, especially for those that don't already build. Secondly, it's designed to add profit margin to Revell's bottomline. The available kit list is based on current released models that fit into the categories that they have created. They are not excluding anyone by not providing a more exciting list (if that is your complaint). They are not going to include older released kits because they are not readily accessible on mass market shelves.

As well, according to the rules, you cannot go to your "stash" and pull out a model for entry. It is designed for the entrant to go out and purchase a model that is listed, during the time period notated. That way it keeps the competition on a somewhat level playing field and eliminates the builder that would simply photograph a model that they have already built (not that anyone here would do that). It also creates a marketing opportunity to increase profitability, as I already mentioned above. And I fit into the slightly frustrated category as I saw the list and decided that I could build the Viper ACR kit that I just picked up last week. But to do so honestly I have to go out and purchase it again, during the timetable listed.

So, people can voice their displeasure over the listed models all they want. This is most likely why the list is what it is. And as many folks that are not happy with it there are probably just as many that are happy with it.

Very well said, these contest are not aimed at builders that live on internet model forums, so that is why they did not come on here and ask all of you what kits they should include for the upcoming contests. This idea is to get new people into the hobby. Kind of like how new customers get the better deals then the long term customers, its all about growth and the bottom line.

I just skimmed the rules, do you have to show proof of purchase for the kit?

Edited by martinfan5

Short answer: Yes. Ooo

Long answer: Yes.

:rolleyes:

Revell was asked directly last year and said buying a kit during the contest (while in the rules) was not a requirement.

If they are going to enforce it this year, then like he pointed out, Wayne's out of luck since the contest doesn't officially start until February 1st making his ACR "illegal" to enter.

That's ridiculous regardless of Revell's desire to move some kits this Winter. I own every kit on the list (except the Roth truck, but I own a different issue of the same kit) so I should be penalized for financially supporting Revell when the kits were issued? None of the kits are new, I think the Shelby GT500 and reissue of the Silverado are the freshest things on that list at over 6 months old.

Edited by niteowl7710

I didn't see anything about requiring proof of purchase on Revell's site. Can you point me to the line in the rules regarding that, Dan?

From the Contest Rules:

"To Enter:

Entrants must log on to www.revell.com to enter online. Buy one (1) new Revell or Monogram brand model within the Contest Period (February 1, 2013 – May 15, 2013). The list of eligible model kits can be found at www.revell.com or at your local Revell retailer. Complete the online entry form and submit it electronically along with up to five (5) photos of your model (up to 2 MB per image)."

The rules require that an entrant submit an online entry, which may only be submitted if the following is "checked:"

By clicking the checkbox, I verify that I personally built the Revell or Monogram plastic model submitted for consideration using one of the eligible Hot Rod models. I understand that I am also accepting all terms and conditions of the Contest. For a complete list of terms and conditions, see the Contest Rules.

Requiring proof of purchase? Maybe not directly required upon initial entry. I don't know if they follow up on the purchase requirement.

Sure, anyone could cheat. But, I'd be willing to bet that anyone selected to win any prize will be asked for that proof of purchase.

If not, that person might win a prize by cheating. Congratulations to them. They might as well have a "professional" builder construct their entry, too.

As has been mentioned by others, the major impetus for Revell to go to all this trouble is to promote sales. They even refer to it as a "promotion." No secrets there. It's their promotion/contest. And they are entitled to set their own rules for their own promotion/contest.

If entrants bypass the rule requiring purchase (i.e., cheat) and if entrants who did not purchase their kits during the contest period (i.e., cheat) are selected to win prizes, then Revell is also entitled to decide the promotion was not worth the trouble, especially if sales aren't sufficiently increased.

Even if proof of purchase is not required to be delivered at time of entry, it is a requirement of the rules.

Besides jeopardizing the whole thing*, following the rules is all about ethics, integrity, and character of the entrants. Those are attributes determined by conduct and behavior whether there is a 'hall monitor' checking receipts at the door.

*Disclaimer for this aspect of my statement: Realistically, I know ~ or at least I hope ~ that cheating by bypassing the purchase requirement rule is not likely to be widespread enough to persuade Revell to discontinue the whole thing. But it is possible.

B)

It says you need to buy the kit - as posted by Dan above. However, I looked at the entry form and didn't see any place to enter receipt information. Might be required for winners - an after-the-fact verification.

Really, why bother trying to cheat the rules? If you don't want to enter the contest, build the model you have already bought and put it on your shelf. If you want to join - buy one of the kits they are offering during the time slot allowed, build it, and enter. It's really simple.

Again, as stated in my first post on the topic and repeated numerous times in other posts - this is a marketing effort from Revell. THE WHOLE POINT of this process is to increase sales. Do they want you to show off your skills? Sure, to a point. But, sad to say, they don't care that much. They want to sell models - to new builders, seasoned builders, to whoever might have $20. So, why beat a dead horse about "we need this kit in there" or "why do I have to buy another kit", look at from Revell's point - produce model kit, sell model kit, make money. In the long haul, the more money Revell makes on this endeavor, the more new tool kits we get from them. It's a win-win. Join another contest if you want to build any kit you want in your stash.

Requiring proof of purchase? Maybe not directly required upon initial entry. I don't know if they follow up on the purchase requirement.

It says you need to buy the kit - as posted by Dan above. However, I looked at the entry form and didn't see any place to enter receipt information. Might be required for winners - an after-the-fact verification.

Thanks. That's what I was seeing, as well. We do have some past winners on the forum; maybe one of them can chime in if they were asked to show proof of purchase?

Well Danno you can bold and add as many colorful fonts as you want, but that's still not going to negate the fact that Revell was asked, and answered in full view if everyone who possesses access to Facebook and the reading level of a 6 year old that actually purchasing a kit was NOT required.

This isn't a model contest as much as it is a photography contest. Prove a kid built their entry, prove the model wasn't built last year. Prove I've built less than 10 models in the last xyz # of years. All I'm showing with a receipt is that for that moment in time I had purchased something, then 15 seconds later returned it.

I don't think for a second Revell REALLY cares if the rules are necessarily follow the rules to the letter. They get a lot of publicity, marketing and cash flow for what is really next to no investment. They want to attract interest in the hobby (hence picking kits that are on "alternative retailer" shelves), and get the "drop outs" back into the fray. People who used to build, but got real cars, real girls, jobs & a family. Basically ya know...EVERYONE who's older than 25 here, we all left for awhile before coming back with larger amounts of disposable income. People who see this thing on GEARZ and think "Huh...they still make models? I used to do that..."

While it might generate honestly NEW interest, that's not the goal. Would you really want to be stuck as the judge in a contest of first time builders. Think back to your first completed model, then think about hundreds of them...put the rusty spork down.

Folks need to slow down for a moment and re-read the rules and understand what this contest is based on. This contest is designed to try and spark added interest in the hobby of building models, especially for those that don't already build. Secondly, it's designed to add profit margin to Revell's bottomline. The available kit list is based on current released models that fit into the categories that they have created. They are not excluding anyone by not providing a more exciting list (if that is your complaint). They are not going to include older released kits because they are not readily accessible on mass market shelves.

As well, according to the rules, you cannot go to your "stash" and pull out a model for entry. It is designed for the entrant to go out and purchase a model that is listed, during the time period notated. That way it keeps the competition on a somewhat level playing field and eliminates the builder that would simply photograph a model that they have already built (not that anyone here would do that). It also creates a marketing opportunity to increase profitability, as I already mentioned above. And I fit into the slightly frustrated category as I saw the list and decided that I could build the Viper ACR kit that I just picked up last week. But to do so honestly I have to go out and purchase it again, during the timetable listed.

So, people can voice their displeasure over the listed models all they want. This is most likely why the list is what it is. And as many folks that are not happy with it there are probably just as many that are happy with it.

They just re released the Lightning.....I will prob do it again but just would had like to seen in in the mix....

Well Danno you can bold and add as many colorful fonts as you want, but that's still not going to negate the fact that Revell was asked, and answered in full view if everyone who possesses access to Facebook and the reading level of a 6 year old that actually purchasing a kit was NOT required.

This isn't a model contest as much as it is a photography contest. Prove a kid built their entry, prove the model wasn't built last year. Prove I've built less than 10 models in the last xyz # of years. All I'm showing with a receipt is that for that moment in time I had purchased something, then 15 seconds later returned it.

I don't think for a second Revell REALLY cares if the rules are necessarily follow the rules to the letter. They get a lot of publicity, marketing and cash flow for what is really next to no investment. They want to attract interest in the hobby (hence picking kits that are on "alternative retailer" shelves), and get the "drop outs" back into the fray. People who used to build, but got real cars, real girls, jobs & a family. Basically ya know...EVERYONE who's older than 25 here, we all left for awhile before coming back with larger amounts of disposable income. People who see this thing on GEARZ and think "Huh...they still make models? I used to do that..."

While it might generate honestly NEW interest, that's not the goal. Would you really want to be stuck as the judge in a contest of first time builders. Think back to your first completed model, then think about hundreds of them...put the rusty spork down.

Chill, James.

I'm not responsible for whether Revell's left hand and Revell's right hand have ever met. It's their (Revell's) official website for their (Revell's) contest that I quoted in response to someone else's question.

I'm not ~ and wasn't ~ challenging your reading level or ability.

Your post is interesting in that you are not arguing the rule exists, you are just putting forth rationalizations and justifications for ignoring the rule or theorizing as to one means of circumventing it.

I do not disagree with you that the rule (1) can be ignored if that's what someone wants to do (2) there are methods of 'beating' the rule if that's what someone wants to do, or even (3) maybe Revell doesn't care ~ but that's the rule they published, and they didn't share with me the revelation that they don't care if their own rules are ignored or circumvented.

Did Revell tell you they made the rule but wouldn't expect entrants to abide by it?

And, by the way, I don't get the 'rusty spork' reference. The only sporks I've ever seen were plastic. You have my permission to call me stupid or something if it makes you feel better. I'm not here to argue, especially over this.

PS: I intentionally did not 'bold' or increase any of my text. Peace?

The EA you see is only the letters E and A used in the word "GEARZ". The stylized G, then two gears with the letters E and A, then the stylized R and Z. the letters have in no way anything to do with the video game company. It is not EA's trademark. Dang, do some research first before you assume. Did the research for you. Google is my friend.

http://staceydavid.com/black-book

I certainly did. Read this last post I made. The E & A have NOTHING to do with the gaming company.

Danno, based on your use of alternate fonts, you're obviously a Revell insider with an agenda. I'm gonna refuse to buy a kit and enter the contest just to spite you.

SNAP !

:lol::lol:

Good one, Alyn!

I'm so nefarious, I even tricked myself. But I didn't fool you!

Can't fool a Jayhawker!

B)

So from what I'm reading and understand from this, you have to buy a kit from the revell website to enter this contest?

no. you can buy it from any retail store like hobbylobby or your local hobby shop. i don't know about ebay or other online shops. just make sure you get a receipt for your kit and save it .

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAA Revel wants me to buy a model and build it!!!!! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA i like to buy models and build them!!!! WAAAAAAAAAAA Revel wont let me enter their contest without buying a revel model kit!!!!!!! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA nobody consulted me about what kits to use in the contest!!!! WAAAAAAAAAA Revel is a business that is trying to make a profit!!!!!! WAAAAAAAAAAA Revel is trying to spark my interest in new things!!!!!! WAAAAAAAAAAA WAAAAAAAAAA WAAAAAAAAAA Stop crying buy a kit build it take pictures of it and enter it. jesus christ its like everyone here just wants to complain about every little thing WAAAAAAAAAAA this guy used too many capital a's in his post