Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/9 Volkswagen Kübel 'Kubelrod'

Thanks guys!

i've not been posting so quickly new updates for a long time, I think I am back to building again after a long time of absence, finally recovery :)

The body work is I believe in it's final stage, I need to work on the ribs on the side and then it should be ready for primer. After that, fixing the doors and I can start working on the paintjob.

kubelrod043.jpg

kubelrod044.jpg

And some work got done on the engine, still basic work, but when I am happy, I can work on the detailling of the engine.

kubelrod045.jpg

kubelrod046.jpg

kubelrod047.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys,

I have been working on and off with the body, it is my main-focus and it is a lame job to do, but it has to be done. I got some templates coming in from the USA for the artwork (I am calling that, since it can not be called a paintjob when finished) and I am down to the last little details for finishing the body. When the body is finished, I need to do the doors and I can start with the artwork soon after.

This is how the body looks, shot in a good coat of primer:
kubelrod048.jpg

kubelrod049.jpg

kubelrod050.jpg

And after some investigation, I found a couple of problem area's, but was pleasantly suprised by the small amount of them.
kubelrod051.jpg

kubelrod052.jpg

I think that used to be a Type 181 or 'thing', build later in the seventies and eighties. To be honest; I can't say I like it, the body is too long, wide and low for a nice hotrod. But it is a unique idea :)

Thanks for sharing

i agree and yes it could be so much more but i thought about your build and .....:)

• 1 month later...

Ok, so yes, I am still alive, yes, I still am busy, yes, I still model some and yes, I can give you an update finally.

In the last couple of weeks, I've been working on the body, I think all the major bodywork is now done, all though I've seen a few areas that might need a little attention. But, since there is going to be a intricate paintjob, some flaws will be camouflaged and I can get away with it. Just don't tell anybody!

Since 2 weeks, I shifted from the body to the doors, they have to be custom made and made them from the original doors, it took me some time to get the right sizes and now I am working on the mechanical bits before I can work on getting it paint ready.

I want to use an actual doorcrank, that is operatable. I think I have a setup and now working on getting it to work properly. It is more complicated than I thought, but I find it interesting. It is a new part of modelling for me.

This evening, I worked on hinging the doors. I had in mind to hinge them the regular way, with wire. But thought it would look so out of place in this scale and went browsing through my parts. Finally found some small boathinges that look awesome and are perfect for this model.

The door taped in place and the hinges layed out for final placement

kubelrod053.jpg

The hinges placed onto the body and secured with screws for a hotrod look.

kubelrod054.jpg

Go suicide!

kubelrod055.jpg

kubelrod057.jpg

Some rough work on the door latch

kubelrod058.jpg

And in place with the door shut

kubelrod060.jpg

Thanks Richard, I am doubting, should I paint the hinges with the paintjob or leave them unfinished? I think they should go with the paintjob, just because it makes more sense since it is a showrod and not so much a ratrod.

Boy, do I make small tiny steps with this project. In the time I can build/finish a 1/24 engine, I can hardly make some modifications to the lock. I am seriously doubting whether I can even finish this project before the end of the year. I think I need a good month to finish up the doors and get it ready for paint.

In my quest to find a good way of making the doorhandles, I was browsing through the manual and found them: the original handles! But they were a bit too big and I shortened them a little bit. Using the kit handles, does require me to change the whole doorlock setup again, but I think it is worth it.

kubelrod061.jpg

I made some doorpanels, not yet finished though

kubelrod062.jpg

Added a bracket with adjustment holes for the spring, that will pull the handle back in position

kubelrod063.jpg

From a different angle:

kubelrod064.jpg

Thanks Richard and I agree, I will keep them attached while painting the car, so they will be painted in the right way.

Because I had glued some parts that needed serious drying time in order to put strain on them, I started with the paintjob on the floorpan.
Be aware; this is a sneakpeak! the paintjob on the body will be different, but hint on this. The paintjob on this project will be very comprehensive, it will not be limited to just the outside of the body, but will go way further than that. Since most area's are visible, the paintjob will continue throughout the whole car.

kubelrod065.jpg

kubelrod066.jpg

• 2 months later...

OK, so long time errr..... not a lot done,

But I bring you a new update, I have been able to do some work on the body and finally got it good enough for the paintjob, which will be a huge turnkey in this build.

First, I got the wheels done:
kubelrod067.jpg

And the body in it's second painting stage; after primer it is now Desert Sand Yellow
kubelrod068.jpg

For the contrast, in this picture it is shown how different the Kubelrod is from the Kübelwagen
kubelrod069.jpg

Step 3: Adding some brown skidmarks
kubelrod070.jpg

Step 4: Adding some green ones
kubelrod071.jpg

The sparewheel finished, I painted the letters blueish white, just like a brandnew tire
kubelrod072.jpg

Step 5: putting on some masking tape
kubelrod073.jpg

Step 6: Going back to black
kubelrod074.jpg

Step 7: Adding some skulls
kubelrod075.jpg

More steps to follow in upcoming days, I hope you enjoyed!

Edited by The Creative Explorer

Thanks Rich! Neither could I, it is always a suprise how somethings work out, it shouldn't be but it is to me haha.

Today was the make or break day, I had to take the last steps towards the paintjob and it involved the trueflames artwork, that is always tricky and I think it came out ok.

kubelrod076.jpg

kubelrod077.jpg

kubelrod078.jpg

kubelrod079.jpg

kubelrod080.jpg

kubelrod081.jpg

kubelrod082.jpg

This is the scariest moment; the tape comes of...Will I take paint with the tape, will the paint look ok, how did it work out?
I think it worked out ok, it does blend and it could've been better, but I like it for this build; nice and wild.

kubelrod083.jpg

kubelrod084.jpg

Thanks guys!
The body has now been clearcoated twice and needs to be polished. I hope to get that done next week, nice little job to do, glad it isn't huge body (<---Sarcasm)
I think it came out ok, it is not the finish I wanted, but I think it is not irrepairable and will be decent after polishing. In the meanhwile, I got most parts finished and painted, so I could start working on assembly a bit more.

I tried to create a cloth-like upholstery for the seats, instead of giving it brand new seats, I kept it with the original seats and with upholstery, rather than the stated rubbery-like material from the kit.
kubelrod085.jpg

kubelrod086.jpg

kubelrod087.jpg

The engine got some more parts, I wired the sparks and added the fanbelt. I need to Alclad a couple of parts, and then heading for a final assembly and wiring of the engine.
kubelrod088.jpg

kubelrod089.jpg