Model Cars Magazine Forum

Story of the week AMT

In 1958, AMT received the Edsel contract from Ford to produced miniature Edsel models. However, after the model year and due to poor sales, the Edsel was dropped from the model line by AMT.

Bzzzt! Wrong - thanks for playing. There's no shortage of AMT '59 and '60 Edsel kits and promos out there. (Unless the author meant to say "...after the 1960 model year...")

It is nice to see what the early Tenite promos looked like before they started warping and shrinking. If only Cycolac could have been used earlier...

Edited by ChrisBcritter

In many situations that is called a sweat shop. if you need employees to work a 12 hour day for anything more than the very occasional emergency, you need to hire more employees and run three shifts.

jb

Edited by jbwelda

• 4 weeks later...

Interesting article, with some nice photos. But way too stort. I wanted to learn more.

There are some great books out there by Thomas Graham, who wrote one book each dealing with the history Aurora, Monogram, and Revell model kits. And also one on Aurora slot cars. I wish Mr. Graham would do similar books on AMT, MPC, and JoHan

As for the car being worked on in the photo with the article and shown above. Jesse maybe right. But I don't think so. The roof looks more like a Falcon to me. The front almost look like the Squarebird Thunderbird. But, 2/3 down the body is a line that makes my think it's a Merury. I'm thinking this mold is maybe too early into its tooling stage to really tell what it's going to be yet. Ford product? Most likely. Valiant? Doubtful to me. Did AMT ever do a Valiant model? I know JoHan, Revell, and possibly MPC. But AMT? I don't remember.

Scott Aho

Interesting article, with some nice photos. But way too stort. I wanted to learn more.

There are some great books out there by Thomas Graham, who wrote one book each dealing with the history Aurora, Monogram, and Revell model kits. And also one on Aurora slot cars. I wish Mr. Graham would do similar books on AMT, MPC, and JoHan

Scott Aho

I agree with you Scott. I have the Graham history books and one on the history of Airfix and one on the Matchbox era in plastic models. I also find their kit lists useful on a regular basis. I wish someone would do the three big model car makers that you've mentioned and I'd also love to see histories of Lindberg, Hawk etc.

rob

I agree with you Scott. I have the Graham history books and one on the history of Airfix and one on the Matchbox era in plastic models. I also find their kit lists useful on a regular basis. I wish someone would do the three big model car makers that you've mentioned and I'd also love to see histories of Lindberg, Hawk etc.

rob

Rob, does Thomas Graham's Airfix book cover the some of the models like the Aurora 2001 Space Clipper or the MPC Space 1999 Eagle kits they shared? And does his Matchbox book cover the era when they controlled AMT? If so, these two books maybe worth adding to my collection. And yes, I too would like to see the histories Lindberg and Hawk. Plus IMC and Renwall too. And even the "Three Ps" of the model world. Pyro, Palmer, and Premier.

Scott Aho

Scott said..."Valiant? Doubtful to me. Did AMT ever do a Valiant model? I know JoHan, Revell, and possibly MPC. But AMT? I don't remember".

Yes, AMT did 1960(?), '61 (?) and '62 Valiants - the '62's were "Styline" kits - and some (or all) may have been under the sister "SMP" label

AMT then the '63-'66 Valiants as promos and at least some of those years also as urbside-type "Craftsman Series" kits. I have the '62 and a couple '63's in my stash.

I don't recall JoHan or MPC doing any Valiant kits (by '71, the year of the first MPC Duster, the 1/1 was no longer called a "Valiant Duster" by Plymouth as it was during the 1970 model year). TB

Edited by tim boyd

Thanks for clearing that up Tim. Your right of course. My mistake.

Speaking of books dealing with the history of model car companies. I'd like to see more of your writing Mr. Boyd. Between Art Anderson and you, one or the other should be able a write phenomenal book on the history of different model companies. One or both of you need to be thinking about it.

Scott

Edited by unclescott58

Oh yea. Speaking of the history of model companies and books on those companies, we forgot to mention SMP. The history of this company and it's ties to AMT have always confused me. Were they really seperate or something else?

Scott

Edited by unclescott58

Scott, Scale Model products was indeed a separate company . Aluminum Model Toys had better distribution . That s why you saw similar box art and similar logos . The two companies finally merged in the summer of 1961................

Scott said..."Valiant? Doubtful to me. Did AMT ever do a Valiant model? I know JoHan, Revell, and possibly MPC. But AMT? I don't remember".

Yes, AMT did 1960(?), '61 (?) and '62 Valiants - the '62's were "Styline" kits - and some (or all) may have been under the sister "SMP" label

AMT then the '63-'66 Valiants as promos and at least some of those years also as urbside-type "Craftsman Series" kits. I have the '62 and a couple '63's in my stash.

I don't recall JoHan or MPC doing any Valiant kits (by '71, the year of the first MPC Duster, the 1/1 was no longer called a "Valiant Duster" by Plymouth as it was during the 1970 model year). TB

The '60, '61, and '62 Valiant kits were SMP. '62 Valiant Styline kits can be found in SMP and AMT boxes. From what I've heard, neither is "rare" compared to the other. The acquisition of SMP by AMT apparently took place during 1961. Besides the Valiant, a handful of '62 Imperial convertibles were sold in SMP boxes, and the chrome plated "1962" license plates in the Chevy Impala kits have "SMP" engraved on them. There are "design differences" between AMT and SMP kits...the latter seem to have bodies that are thinner in many cases.

Valiant snap kits were offered for '63, '64, and '65. The '66 promotional model is a super low production piece, and a snap kit was not offered that year. Jo-Han never did a Valiant. The only other one in 1/25 scale was the Revell '62 kit...the only one with an engine.

The '66 promotional model is a super low production piece, and a snap kit was not offered that year.

I've been watching this one for years and have a theory. I believe the '66 promo was produced in the same number / manner as the other year promos. What happened was that the model is wrong. Chrysler changed the rear roof line on the '66 but the promo still has a 1965 roof on it. There is also a problem with the rear edge of the trunk lid that isn't right. I believe that Chrysler rejected the run and ordered them destroyed, and the few that are out there were copies that were at Chrysler. The reason I believe they did a full run was that there are several different colors on this promo. I noted over the years that many of the cars offered for sale were sold as 'from a Chrysler employee's collection". So AMT wouldn't follow that up with a kit.

So what happened to the tool? Remember back when the FIreball 500 was reissue announced? A lot of guys thought that since this body existed, that it must've been the last hurrah of the 1965-66 Barracuda tool. Note that the kit has the Barracuda annual chassis and drive train, so the theory worked at the time. Then AMT announced that they were releasing the Hemi Under Glass reissue... and people were scratching their heads that this body still existed. My theory? The Fireball 500 was tooled from the rejected 1966 Valiant promo tool. The Valiant essentially had the same body as the Barris car, so it's an obvious choice.

Chrysler never followed up with a 1967 Valiant promo. The Signet hardtop was discontinued for '67, as Chrysler wanted to push the Barracuda coupe for those same sales, essentially the same car. So there is a '67 Barracuda fastback promo. Funny thing is that there was a '67 Valiant 2 door hardtop still sold in Mexico! But in the US the Valiant only came as a 2 door sedan in 1967.

635-vi.jpg

66 Signet in red (Tom Carter photo)

P1008822vi-vi.jpg

Burgundy, this is much darker than the red car above.

66valiant-vi.jpg

Light Blue (Dean Milano photo)

my_66_1-vi.jpg

light blue gray. I own this car.

6751b04d7bafc802b7bdf841654092-vi.jpg

Here's one in yellow. Note the incorrect Barracuda grill emblem. This is the only one I've seen like that.

Edited by Tom Geiger