Model Cars Magazine Forum

Estonian Drag Racing

Yep, it's not from Estonia, it's from Alastaro, Finland. B)

That's from last season's Final Event where my dad drove our Chevelle. That's a really nice video, as all of his other videos, too.

This year I'm driving the car. Just last weekend there was the first race of the season at Motopark Raceway. I ran new record four times and beat another fellow on the first Elimination round. Currently I'm on the 3rd place on Finnish Championship points.

Here is a video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4srIP030LI4

Edit: On the first video in this thread... Some interesting cars:

On the first pair: Arto Sulopuisto with Pontiac Firebird running in B/S. He built the car himself and it is very fast, and it runs almost always more than one second under NHRA Index. Timo Eronen's Barracuda is a SS/AH car with a Hemi. It runs 8,8 ETs at the best. He also has a '70 Challenger with a Hemi running in Stock Eliminator and he is currently building a Hemi Dart for SS/AH, too.

On the second pair there's Tarmo Mikkola with a Super Stock Camaro. He finished 2nd on European Drag Racing Series last year. Tarja Gynther's Stock Eliminator Camaro got a new refreshed engine for season 2014 and it ran over half a second faster last weekend than it does on the video.

On the third pair there's Hannu Palasmaa with his '71 Chevelle. It's powered by 454 and Manual, but he is having some traction problems. He's a two time Finnish Champion and one time Nordic Champion in Stock & Super Stock. He has built the engine for our car, too. Sami Toppari's AMC AMX is one of the original SS AMX Factory Race Cars. It does huge wheelies and the engine runs on high RPMs. It sounds really good and goes fast.

On the fourth pair there was my dad Mika with our Chevelle running against Noora Laine in a '72 Skylark that runs also in K/SA. The cameraman must have missed that pass.

On the last pair Harri Hassinen drove his SS/GT Camaro, but he broke a camshaft on that pass. On the other lane was Jarmo Markkanen with a Pontiac Firebird he bought from Jim Waldo.

Edited by W-409