Model Cars Magazine Forum

The GLUE BOMB Invitational.

DiscoSpud

Strangely, I actually had some Nash wheel covers in my parts boz! They're a little on the crude side, and I have no idea what they came from, but I've had them for three or four years,and what the heck else was I gonna use 'em on?

NASH003-vi.jpg

And finished up the plumbing on the turbo.

NASH004-vi.jpg

Edited by Chuck Most

Here's an update on my 63 Chevy.

Curiously, I couldn't find any copyright or trademark info on the body or chassis, so I don't know who made the kit, but here it is any way.

63Chevy06m.jpg

Disassembly was not too difficult. Young or inexperienced builders tend to paint parts then glue them together. This makes the parts easy to seperate.

312931_278925085462923_230847474_n.jpg
After a trip to the purple pond, I put a shot of primer on the body to see what kind of prep work I needed to do.

299033_278925152129583_1805220574_n.jpg
Mostly just the standard mold lines and sink marks...

300935_278924822129616_585207686_n.jpg

I did have to add a strip of styrene to one side of the hood so it would look better between the fenders.

Thanks for looking!

David G.

Edited by David G.

Yep, sure is the AMT kit. Look, no firewall. :angry: I have an original 63 with the screws in the bottom and it has the firewall. All of the re-issues didn't have this for some reason. I have a re-issued one and it has no firewall. I did make a resin copy of the one in the original kit and will use it when I build the newer one. Plus, the original had separate tail lights that are red. I will make copies of these and drill out the ones on the back of the re-issued one. :) Dan

That's right, there's no firewall and the engine has only a moderate level of detail, Therefore, I plan on gluing the hood shut and dressing up the bottom of the engine a bit and filling the axle holes in the oil pan. I'll also add styrene stubs to mount the front wheels.

Thanks for all the feedback.

David G.

I wonder why AMT didn't re-issue it with the original parts, and why they cheapened the engine detail. I did restore mine and I also filled in the engine block and used stubby axles. I also had to make the top part of the radiator.

David, if you want a firewall, I did make a resin one that you can have. Just PM me your address and I'll send it to you. You will have to do some finishing touches to it though. Dan

I think that kit came with an 'engine delete plate'- maybe AMT just hoped people would glue the hood shut and use it instead of the engine? I do know the '62 Bel Air firewall will fit with a bit of trimming, and looks a lot better than the everything-molded-on firewall the '64 kit has.

I wonder why AMT didn't re-issue it with the original parts, and why they cheapened the engine detail. I did restore mine and I also filled in the engine block and used stubby axles. I also had to make the top part of the radiator.

David, if you want a firewall, I did make a resin one that you can have. Just PM me your address and I'll send it to you. You will have to do some finishing touches to it though. Dan

Thanks Dan, but given the marginal quality of the engine, I think I would prefer to glue the hood down. My intent is to keep this one as simple as possible. If I get a firewall, then I'll have to find a nicer engine, which I'll have to wire and plumb then detail... etc, etc. I don't think that this kit is worth all that.

Thanks for the offer, though.

David G.

I think that kit came with an 'engine delete plate'- maybe AMT just hoped people would glue the hood shut and use it instead of the engine? I do know the '62 Bel Air firewall will fit with a bit of trimming, and looks a lot better than the everything-molded-on firewall the '64 kit has.

What's an "engine delete plate"? Is it just a piece with the bottom bits of the engine that snaps over the crossmember?

David G.

What's an "engine delete plate"? Is it just a piece with the bottom bits of the engine that snaps over the crossmember?

David G.

Exactly. You've probably seen them- it's just a plate with a rudimentary oil pan and trans molded to it that glues in place of the engine. The Model King '71 Thunderbird and the AMT '64 Ford Galaxie came with one.

Thanks Dan, but given the marginal quality of the engine, I think I would prefer to glue the hood down. My intent is to keep this one as simple as possible. If I get a firewall, then I'll have to find a nicer engine, which I'll have to wire and plumb then detail... etc, etc. I don't think that this kit is worth all that.

Thanks for the offer, though.

David G.

Yer welcome David. I do have that plate if ya want that. Let me know. Dan

• 2 weeks later...

Here's an update on my '63 Chevy Glue Bomb project...

302599_284907088198056_1945122643_n.jpg

I got a little bit of work done on the interior. These feel like 1963 colors to me. You can also see the lack of engine detail. The carburetor is just a plastic cone that supports the air cleaner.

305764_284907151531383_472349578_n.jpg
I got the engine painted and added some exhaust pipes to the chassis to (more or less) connect the manifolds to the exhaust system.

310339_284907054864726_1981895672_n.jpg

The view from the bottom. I used a #77 (.018") drill bit and some wire between the pipes and the chassis to help them stay put.

That's all for now.

Thanks for taking the time to look. Comments are always welcome.

David G.

Edited by David G.

Here's another update on the 63 Chevy.

In the home stretch. Test fitting to see how it'll all fit together. Still need to clean up the glass and foil the trim.

316834_287334104622021_1242616113_n.jpg
Need to paint the final details on the tail lights and foil and paint the rear emblem to match the front.

308364_287334034622028_1777743521_n.jpg
Again, Thanks for taking the time to look.

David G.

Edited by David G.

• 4 weeks later...

I finally managed to get back into my workroom for a few hours this evening and do something on my '65 Corvair. The body is finished and chromed, the glass is in, the interior is ready to go in (complete with the usual additions like a dome light, turn signal stalk, dimmer switch, carpet flocking, etc). I dug up some original '65 Corvair wheel covers still on the tree (!), so I got them paint detailed and fitted to the whitewalls that came on the bastardized model I started off with. Once the paint on the rear suspension is dry, I'll be able to put that in and do the final assembly. I've only been planning to build this model for about 31 years since it's a replica of my first Corvair - Now it's almost on my shelf! :D

She's lookin perty good David for a glue bomb. The one glue bomb that I did was an original from 63 and the detail is much better than the re-issues are. I also have two of the re-issues to put together and I will use one of the firewalls that I made and also get a better engine for the car. I do like the color that you chose for yours. I like Blue Chevy's as much as Red ones. :D Looking forward to seeing this one finished. Dan

Thanks Dan. I actually got the foil work done on Thanksgiving Day. I've been working since then and haven't had the chance to shoot any snaps to post. Hopefully tomorrow.

BTW, where is Lewis Center? I remember hearing the name, but can't quite place it. I'm from the Youngstown area; a small town called Hubbard.

David G