Model Cars Magazine Forum

Shock Top Special...barstool racing on the salt flats

At a recent model car club meeting a discussion started on the upcoming NNL West in January of next year. The Special Theme for the show is "Land Speed Record Cars" and someone mentioned they race anything and everything at venues like Bonneville, etc., so I responded "Barstools"?

Guess what, there is a class for barstools at Bonneville. They must be powered by a 12 volt electric motor and use only one battery.

The current speed record at Bonneville for an electric barstool is over 53 mph!

Here's a photo of a barstool racer on course:

photo3-vi.jpg

Inspiration and design came from the world speed record holding barstool racer shown below:

photo4-vi.jpg

I decided to build one for the NNL West.

It would be 1/12th scale and need a "bar" theme, hence the Shock Top Special - to honor one of my favorite adult beverages. Additional sponsorship would come from "Johnny's Bar and Grill", a local watering hole in Hollister, CA.

photo-vi.jpg

photo2-vi.jpg

photo13-vi.jpg

photo3-vi.jpg

photo9-vi.jpg

photo12-vi.jpg

photo6-vi.jpg

​thanx for looking'...

Edited by curt raitz

Curt.... This is one awesome and killer build. I love it. So creative. I had no clue Land Speed record cars was the theme for next year NNL West. I recently picked up a pretty cool 1:43rd scale Land Speed car that I am wonder if I could get done by them along with my Army Vega Funny car....lol time running out. I am looking forward to seeing this killer bar stool racer in person. Again Nice Job.

Thanx for all the great comments B)

​Nothing wrong with "stepping' outside the box" now and then.

I had a lot of fun building this model...I can't imagine going dang near 55 mph on it though! :o

Hardest part was keeping my 3 year old nephew from taking it home with him this past Saturday! :huh:

Edited by curt raitz

• 6 months later...

I have been saying for years that there could(not necessarily should)be an oval track venue for racing these bar stools.Could be called "Nasbar",no problem with fermented adult beverage manufacturing sponsorship and best of all......it would give a whole new meaning to the term drafting !