Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell 1970 Plymouth 'Cuda - Lime Light - Finished Pics

RandyB.

I have been doing research for a review of the kit in our club's newsletter. The only color available for the elastomeric rear bumper on 1970 Cudas was rallye red. However, in 1971, there were 4 colors available for the rear Elastomeric bumper, -- B '71 Red 2962 391 FE5 - "rallye red"
-- B '71 Citron Yella 3464 883 GY3 - "curious yellow"
-- B '71 Plum Met. 3464 884 FC7 - "in-violet metallic"
-- B '71 Tor Red 3464 885 EV2 - "tor-red metallic".

It is possible that some late 1970 Cuda rear bumpers could have been in those colors too. Everything depended on the suppliers, and I am quite sure that some were retrofitted at the dealership level.

I have been doing research for a review of the kit in our club's newsletter. The only color available for the elastomeric rear bumper on 1970 Cudas was rallye red. However, in 1971, there were 4 colors available for the rear Elastomeric bumper, -- B '71 Red 2962 391 FE5 - "rallye red"

-- B '71 Citron Yella 3464 883 GY3 - "curious yellow"

-- B '71 Plum Met. 3464 884 FC7 - "in-violet metallic"

-- B '71 Tor Red 3464 885 EV2 - "tor-red metallic".

It is possible that some late 1970 Cuda rear bumpers could have been in those colors too. Everything depended on the suppliers, and I am quite sure that some were retrofitted at the dealership level.

Ron. January 5 1970 Plymouth introduced eight more colors to the rear elastomeric bumpers on 1970 'Cuda's. Check out the link below.

http://www.cuda-chal...ic=16748.5;wap2

Edited by RandyB.

Looks like the carbs might have started out ok but ended up "adjusted" taller for Shaker fitment as the kit was developed. Sectioning them would result in a decent looking AFB but ruin the scoop fit

With all the earlier Revell Mopar kits featuring alternator brackets its surprising not to see any on this kit

David..I have found information that body coloured elastomeric back bumpers were available in all nine colours effective Jan 5 1970 which includes Lime Light. Check out the link below.

http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=16748.5;wap2

Randy I looked at my Cuda-Challenger restoration book last night and it pretty much verifies this information. I have found the book inaccurate on a few accounts but since two sources say it well????? Btw the Red Book Mopar guide by Peter Sessler doesn't show anything but FE5 being available with both front and rear bumpers. The parts manual supports I think nine colors. Actually if you look at the restoration guide the FJ5 color came with either chrome front and rear or a front bumper in chrome with a painted rear bumper. I think this comes from the parts catalog of 1970-1971 and I believe that cannot be accurate. I do know there are cars out there in FJ5 with the A21 front bumper painted option. Really confusing.

Randy I looked at my Cuda-Challenger restoration book last night and it pretty much verifies this information. I have found the book inaccurate on a few accounts but since two sources say it well????? Btw the Red Book Mopar guide by Peter Sessler doesn't show anything but FE5 being available with both front and rear bumpers. The parts manual supports I think nine colors. Actually if you look at the restoration guide the FJ5 color came with either chrome front and rear or a front bumper in chrome with a painted rear bumper. I think this comes from the parts catalog of 1970-1971 and I believe that cannot be accurate. I do know there are cars out there in FJ5 with the A21 front bumper painted option. Really confusing.

Several trusted sources in writing confirm that all nine colors became available on elastomeric rear bumpers effective with production starting 1/5/70 (up until then, only Rallye Red was available on elastomeric rear bumpers.

This is not a well-known fact and occurred relatively later in the 1970 model production so it is not reflected in all the resources/references I checked (e.g. V2 of the Peter Sessler book). TIM

Looks like the carbs might have started out ok but ended up "adjusted" taller for Shaker fitment as the kit was developed. Sectioning them would result in a decent looking AFB but ruin the scoop fit

With all the earlier Revell Mopar kits featuring alternator brackets its surprising not to see any on this kit

In both the kits I built, the Shaker scoop was slightly too high when I lowered the hood onto the completed engine compartment/engine. I fixed that by shortening the tabs on the bottom of the Shaker hood but you could also "chop" the carbs for a similar result.

I can see what you mean David. The crease immediately above the wheel well on the left side rear deviates away from a straight line.

I didn't even notice this until you mentioned it.

Pictures1346_zps3eb8683b.jpg

The two kits I built all had this issue on the driver's side; the passenger side was much better. I chose to ignore it and the completed model looks good. I have advised Revell of this, by the way. TIM

Tim thanks again for your input. I did make note on my instructions I needed to make an adjustment for the shaker hood because of it being too high. I went through your notes on your quick build off of your sight. I believe I have sucessfully added moldings on each side of the grill for the red stripe. I will post the picture tonight when I get home. I am loving the kit. I should finish the engine this weekend after I get new spark plug wires in the mail.

Wow very nice build, I love Mopars. And yes when it came to colors Ma Mopar had tons of exceptions, I don't think anybody really can say for sure what color you could get with what car. Back then you could order almost whatever you wanted even if it was not on the order forms.

Ron. January 5 1970 Plymouth introduced eight more colors to the rear elastomeric bumpers on 1970 'Cuda's. Check out the link below.

http://www.cuda-chal...ic=16748.5;wap2

Nothing they did back in 1970 would surprise me. I found this info out after I made the reply. I am doing a lot of research to do my build. Your build is coming along nicely.

The two kits I built all had this issue on the driver's side; the passenger side was much better. I chose to ignore it and the completed model looks good. I have advised Revell of this, by the way. TIM

Any word from anyone if they're going to make some effort to correct this for future runs and/or offer replacement bodies to those desiring them?

After the Mustang, they really can't afford this; while this is nowhere near as egregious, this is still a fairly serious lapse in quality audit.

On the main subject- Randy, I have to agree with everyone else, that interior is killer. Great job on it.

Charlie Larkin