Model Cars Magazine Forum

The Hollywood Garage

Hollywood Jim

Geez, Jim, this is PURE EYECANDY. Loving it. I think this is going to come together beautiful and with the right lighting you'll be able to create lots of interesting pictures with the background. Great way to show off new builds.

Thanks Cranks..........

You gave me an urge Virg..........

Background ?! I never thought of that. This was going to be a diorama with everything glued in place.

But if I don't glue down the car and a few other items on the floor, I guess I could use it for a background for other cars.

Hummmmmm. Food for thought.

Thanks Cranks..........

You gave me an urge Virg..........

Background ?! I never thought of that. This was going to be a diorama with everything glued in place.

But if I don't glue down the car and a few other items on the floor, I guess I could use it for a background for other cars.

Hummmmmm. Food for thought.

Yeah, that's what I thought you were doing. If you don't glue down everything, you will be able to use it over and over again and always end up with different possibilities, that's what I did with the CRANKY INDUSTRIAL PHOTO-OP BASE.

baby food jar screw storage.

Ding Ding Ding !!! The man wins a cigar.

That's exactly what it is. My dad used to do this all the time. He even used larger jars.

He would nail the lids to a piece of wood and hang the jars full of all sorts of stuff.

Edited by Hollywood Jim

That's exactly what it is. My dad used to do this all the time. He even used larger jars.

He would nail the lids to a piece of wood and hang the jars full of all sorts of stuff.

I think that was one of those big workshop ideas in Popular Mechanics Magazine in the 1950s. Everyone did it! I still have baby food jars full of nails and screws from my grandfather's basement. Who knows how old those jars are, my father probably ate the baby food!

I painted the outside. It will be rarely seen, unless the viewer is curious enough to look.

Then you should do something odd here like have the back wall all graffiti'd up. It won't effect the interior of the dio in the least, but when they do get around to the outside, they don't get what they expect.

OK, so far this diorama has been fairly easy. Now comes the hard part. At least for me.

I’m down to the point where I have to decide how to paint the walls and floor and all of the items in the diorama. Working in black and white, (or only two colors) is quite difficult. When you look at the three dimensional diorama, unlike a one dimension photograph, it can look different depending on the lighting and the angle at which you view it.

Remember everything needs to be like a black and white photograph except the car, which will be in red.

I started with doing some simple shading.

BEFORE

dr-vi.jpg

AFTER

ds-vi.jpg

dt-vi.jpg

Then I started adding some details on the back wall. At this point I consulted Ken Hamilton, the diorama Guru. I was worried about the details disappearing into the wall color. He told me that it would be best if the details did get lost to some extend because they are not the focus of the diorama. He was correct. He also said that I should not be afraid to use different shades of the dark color on my added details.

du-vi.jpg

Because the walls were so washed out, this meant that the details would also need to be pretty much washed out. I was not sure I wanted a washed out look for the whole background and the details. I then consulted Narayan Khandekar. Narayan knows all about art and paintings. If I call him an art expert he would probably disagree, but don’t believe it, he is one ! He pointed out that black and white photographs have dynamic range; from almost black shadows to almost white highlights. And he suggested I study up on “dynamic range”. Sure enough after some study I discovered that he was exactly correct. Looking at the photo again I realized that it had very dark areas to very light areas.

Bwidea1-vi.jpg

So I dove in with both feet and I began to add some very dark shadows to my diorama. This was a scary moment for me !!!

dw-vi.jpg

dx-vi.jpg

At this point I realized that I still did not have enough dark color. Not enough dynamic range. So I went even darker.

So here is what I have today. These pictures are taken with different camera exposures and with a red car. Important note; I have discovered I can make the diorama look very different depending on background light, my camera settings and my camera flash.

dy-vi.jpg

e-vi.jpg

dz-vi.jpg

The end result is that now I have dynamic range as Narayan suggested. And I think it looks pretty good. Now when I add the detail items I can darken them up and add shades of my dark color like Ken suggested. Ken and Narayan really pointed me in the right direction.

Thank you guys !!