Model Cars Magazine Forum

Custom LoneStar Day Cab- Update 9/13

Yep, starting on another one! This one might take a bit longer, though, as it'll require quite a few modifications to the base Moebius kit. Here goes...

1-vi.jpg
Since I'm using a Models by Dave daycab, here's some of what I'll NOT be using.

2-vi.jpg
I WILL be using these, however, not without a little bit of modification.

3-vi.jpg
Here are my Models by Dave pieces, the custom Harley-edition based grille, and of course the day cab. I don't remember if I bought the parts just as an excuse to buy another Lonestar, or if I bought the Lonestar just as an excuse to buy the parts, but I think it was the first reason. :D Should be fun no matter what.

4-vi.jpg
Here's the surgery so far. I assembled the three parts of the dash for test fitting, and cut down the floor and side panels to fit in the new cab. I basically just trimmed, then test fit, trimmed, then test fit, until the reworked interior fit into the cab the way I wanted. I'm pleased to report the Moebius "glass" fits nicely into the resin cab. The grille also fits the opening in the hood very well- you can't always expect resin parts to fit right the first time, every time, but these gave me no fits.

The idea here is to make a customized rig, something that could be taken to shows, but still be used as a practical tractor. I'll be cutting the frame down for a shorter wheelbase. As much as I like the look of custom rigs with long wheelbases, the stock 280" kit wheelbase just looks ridiculous with a daycab on this truck, at least to my eye.

Edited by Chuck Most

Did some work on the front fenders.

5-vi.jpg

I filled in the openings for the stock headlight lenses, in anticipation of adding small, round headlights (like the kind on the Harley edition). But truth be told, I'm beginning to like the look of the front end without the headlights, so I may leave them off entirely, and move the headlights down into the fog light openings after enlarging them to fit a standard 7" sealed beam style light.

Should be a nice project. I haven't bought one of these yet because I didn't care for the real one, but I'm liking it more & more as a day cab! Will watch this build.

I like the way the Lonestar looks, but I do think it looks a LOT better as a day cab. With the sleeper, all the aero stuff on the roof makes the truck look like it is wearing a giant codpiece. :lol: That doesn't just go for the Lonestar- pretty much any modern truck with a sleeper has the same effect on me.

A German friend of mine build his own day cab. He's building a wrecker out of this kit with lots of CNC milled parts. If you want to take a look, everything is in German except the pics :D :D

http://www.die-leitp...wrecker-m-1-25/

Hessel

I did check that out- that thing is a jaw-dropper! I'm not even going to try to add a fraction of the detail he added to that one. That truck is in a whole 'nother realm. B)

Latest update- frame now sports a 222" wheelbase. this was done by cutting 58 scale inches out of each framerail. First cut was made about 3/8" behind the fender mounts, and the second, well, 58 scale inches to the rear of that cut. :D I wanted the seam to be in an inconspicous place, so that any reinforements I might need to add wouldn't be visible. I used a couple of strips of Plastruct 2mm square rod to strengthen the joint.

6-vi.jpg

And here's a quickie mockup with the cab in its rough position. I also shaved the door handles and LoneStar scripts from the doors.

7-vi.jpg

Kicking around an idea for the color- Cat yellow with flat or semigloss black fenders and chassis. I know Cat yellow might seem a bit odd on an International, but after all the Maxxforce is a Cat design, and Cat yellow just plain looks cool!

• 2 months later...

I know this one's been stalled for a while, but a couple of days back I managed to get the majority of the frame done, and painted.

WHORENET011-vi.jpg

I used semigloss black, but it came out quite splotchy in a few places- guess the humidity was a bit worse than I'd assumed. It's been raining the last two days now, so I'm hoping by the time it's over it will be dry enough to try again... or build an ark, whichever seems more important at that time.

Non photodocumented progress- engine halves are together, and I'm cleaning up some mold lines on the turbo piping and some of the exhaust parts in preparation for paint. I'm also toying with ditching the aero rocker cladding and going with exposed tanks. We'll see aboot that, I guess.

It might go on a few more short breaks before it's finished, but I've pretty much committed to finishing this one before I start much work on my custom Transtar model, so I'm hoping it won't take forever. Between that and getting supplies for it, I'd like to realistically have it done by fall. Guess we'll see how that turns out.

Lookin' good Chuck! When you go on the official Lonestar site,(http://www.internati...fgtr/index.html) (don't forget to move your mouse over the truck pictures to choose the model...) you can configure your own paint scheme and colors. There are over 200 color shades so you might just find the Cat yellow to be not so out of place after all.

Edited by BigBad

looking good Chuck, When I paint black I now use flat black and clear with either gloss or satin, the humidity doesn't bother so much this way.

I'll have to try that once I get a new airbrush. I used acrylic clear this time hoping humidity wouldn't effect it as much. And I was right, to an extent, but it still blushed in spots. :rolleyes:

Lookin' good Chuck! When you go on the official Lonestar site,(http://www.internati...fgtr/index.html) (don't forget to move your mouse over the truck pictures to choose the model...) you can configure your own paint scheme and colors. There are over 200 color shades so you might just find the Cat yellow to be not so out of place after all.

Last time I was on International's site I didn't see the configurator- thanks for the link! Seems like there are actually a couple shades of yellow to pick from for the 1:1 LoneStar.

Slight deviation from original plan- I decided to go with DupliColor School Bus Yellow instead of CAT Yellow, it is brigher and just 'pops' a bit more than Cat Yellow. This is the third vehicle I've painted with this color, and they're all Internationals. And not a single one of them is a bus.

Anyway- engine is in, as are the turbo and all that underhood plumbing. Still need to detail paint a few things here and there, but so far so good. I've found that if you install the engine, then the radiator, THEN install the turbo and intake plumbing (as opposed to installing it all at once as a unit per the instructions) things go in a bit easier.

e5ac4813-vi.jpg

One more update...

Decided to tone down the bumper- I saw an International brochure image of a LoneStar, and I liked the way the pavement reflected off the bumper. The LoneStar in that picture was a dark gray, graphite color, so it looked like the bottom of the bumper was painted to match the truck, while the top was left plated. So, I stripped the bottom 2/3 or so of the bumper, and went over it with a few mist coats of black primer, then one thin coat of Tamiya semi gloss black. I was going for a sprayed-on-bedliner look/texture.

73436f27-vi.jpg

Edited by Michigan Madman