Model Cars Magazine Forum

1978 Pontiac Firebird Formula

Nick Winter

Nick, I have one suggestion for you: stop brush painting the chrome trim and start using BMF.

It'll take a little practice, but believe me... you will get way better results with BMF than with brush painting the trim.

Nick, I have one suggestion for you: stop brush painting the chrome trim and start using BMF.

It'll take a little practice, but believe me... you will get way better results with BMF than with brush painting the trim.

I think Mark's going to cover it in his tutorial if so I'll start using it.

I too have never used bmf. hard to find at my hobbie stores.

Same here, I think I'll have to order it from model express, Like I need another order from Dennis, that means I'll have to pair it with a kit, oh well if that's what it takes :(

Do you follow me around to kick me in the nuts or something it really seems that way, thanks for insulting me I really Enjoy that, Poor workminship,.........................I'm not starting this again.

There you go with that attitude again kid, get over yourself, following you around? I thought you wanted constructive criticism, but I guess what you write and what you mean are different. You’re being hypocritical just like in your “trucks†thread.

Read what you posted, then read and COMPREHEND what I posted. I responded to your comment.

If you post on an open forum, expect to get comments that are honest fact based opinions occasionally. Other people called you on your workmanship and you unload on me when I do the same, even with suggestions on how to do better?

I guess your apology was just BS after seeing your response. Just as I figured, you’d rather get false praise than the truth, but as I’ve said, shooting the messenger is not going to improve your skills.

“I'm not starting this againâ€

Uhhhhhhmm, I think you crave the attention, and that is why you are doing exactly the opposite of that statement by posting your comment.

Nick, Maybe Dennis can just mail it in a big legal size envelope?

I must say, your skills are improving nicely ,, attitude also. B)

Have you checked out Bill Gery's tutorial he did a couple months ago when he built the '49 Mercury? He also did about the same thing Mark's doing. Definitly worth a look.

Steve I actually talked to Dennis about this he said it would be cheaper for the 2 of us if I pear it with a kit.

Thanks Steve.

Yes recently I revisited it and read it more carefully.

nick, i've been keeping track of your progress and IMHO you're doing fine so far. that kit is somewhat notorious for fit issues, but you seem to have them whupped. keep on. thumbs up!

Well as they said Third times the charm, after building the First 2 AMT/MPC Firebird/Trans am's I pretty well knew what needed addressed and what could be left be.

Ok, without all the B.S drama that seems to go on; what others here have tried to help point out to you (paint, body, and taking your time) are very valid points. While I may not comment in any of your posts, I do look at them. You are getting better, but you could definately improve. 7 days to finish a model........I have that just into basic assembly of my engines (and I am NOT good). Now, before you jump on me for busting your balls, I would like to point out some things to you. Your chrome trim is rough, even for brush. Might I suggest some good brushes for starters....good tools make all the difference in a case like this. Also, time spent on prep work will pay off in the finished product. Take a little extra time to get everything right before you go rush-finishing something. You do pick interesting subjects to model, but sometimes your execution of the model looks haggard and rushed. Research will help a lot too; better knowledge of your subject will lead to a more 'right' looking end product.

I was stationed in a Navy barracks for quite some time, and due to 'Health and Comfort' inspections could not have a lot of the basic equipment and detail stuff others had (and the base hobby shop quite often didn't carry them). What does this have to do with your builds you ask? Simple........I learned to better my skills with just what I had and made no excuses for the way my models turned out. I was 23-24 at the time (I don't know how old you are and am too lazy to look it up for just one post) and felt my work sucked..........others disagreed. Now, to back up my (and others) points; this is my Plymouth Duster (I don't care if you like Mopar or not, this is to prove a point) that was (and still is) being constructed without BMF and heavy loads of aftermarket detail parts. Just some cans of spray paint, a few bottles of brush paint, and some GOOD brushes......

189.jpg

Look closely at the engine........almost everything there was brush painted (besides the block); all nuts, bolts, carbs, fittings, lines are brushed. See the difference in mine to yours.......I took my time and used good prep work.

187.jpg

The hood was cut, filed, and fit for the hoodscoop. It doesn't look hacked and pieced together. Why? Prep work......believe me when I say even Flat black will show imperfections RIGHT NOW.

195.jpg

The chassis was cut and fit to match the body here, and again most of the detail is brush painted. Lots of work went into making it look 'right'

198.jpg, 197.jpg

Again, prep and paint work to make it look 'right'.

Now that I can have all my good equipment, this kit will still be finished like I started it...with just the basics. Chrome trim, side lights, the Mopar Bronze Pentastar on the passanger fender only; they will be done with brush and I will TAKE MY TIME. Yes, this is not the best looking build and I can see sink marks, ejector pin marks, and some assembly flaws in my own work, and that is also the reason for me picking this very build. As I said, I was 23 or 24 years old when I started this and am now 35 years old. Experience and others wisdom are great teachers. Others offered great advice here and in others of your threads.........please take it as you have talent, just needing to be refined.

Edited by whale392

I'm 14, 15 in the fall, there I saved you some work, This Firebird you must have build time confused on, this car was started in Febuary, and was finished last week. Funny enough when it comes to Cars Mopars and Pontiacs are my favorites, "See the difference in mine to yours" Yes yours is a Prostreet engine mines a Street engine with a Fancy aircleaner, if you look at my engine, there's really only 4 colors that were used, silver for the wing nut on the aircleaner and exuast manifolds, white for the aircleaner element, Black for the hoses, pulleys and aircleaner top, and Pontiac Engine blue for the engine block and heads. But I do see were your going with this, Prep work I had quite a bit of into this build.

Pro-street or stock, the building skills needed are the same. You are getting better, and that is a good thing. At 15, I was building (but don't ask me where any of them are now). As you get older, you will get better.

I am not busting your balls, just giving some advice that you can use. Trust me; been there, did that, got the T-Shirt, and the models suffered a horrible ride accident! :lol:

Pro-street or stock, the building skills needed are the same. You are getting better, and that is a good thing. At 15, I was building (but don't ask me where any of them are now). As you get older, you will get better.

I am not busting your balls, just giving some advice that you can use. Trust me; been there, did that, got the T-Shirt, and the models suffered a horrible ride accident! :lol:

I knew you weren't, I was also just saying that there a fair diffrence in your engine and mine, not just cubic inches either.

I knew you weren't, I was also just saying that there a fair diffrence in your engine and mine, not just cubic inches either.

Trying to be constructive here Nick, like Whale. I think you missed or avoided the point he was making, quite well by my reading of it too.

Detail cleanly what is provided by the kit. You say " there's really only 4 colors that were used". But in the real world, there are many more that should be used, even if you only see four at first glance.

The physical difference between a stock Pontiac motor and a Pro Street Mopar motor is irrelevant in this point. The fair difference is the technique and attention to detail, that is the focus. That Mopar engine is a very good example of clean building. Also known as THE BASICS.

You seem to have to defend every helpful tip and offer of guidance as if it will make what you posted any better. You are showing improvement, but you are also missing out on lot of points that could be of benefit. Improve the basics, and everything will improve.

Just look at it Nick as advice, there are no criticism being made IMO.

I know my Lancer Evo X is not a masterpiece as some of the models on here,

but I took advice from another forum from my previous builds to get it to

the point where I amazed myself and the looks of it.

Just trying to help you...

Nick,

You have a good eye for detail my man. Hey build it like you want, but you can do better. This isn't a race. SLOW down, take your time, and bring all those details to life!

Nobody's busting your chops bro, we see the talent in you we just want to see it developed.

The points made were very appropriate. Take a breath, and read the replies again. "Listen" to what's being said.

And keep 'em coming :lol:

Tonight, it's time for a reckoning of sorts.....

I get to bitch, you get to post after it......

That's the GREAT thing about what it is I am about to do.....

Dukefan, I love ya.... But I have not see ONE IOTA of progress in your modeling. Not one!!!!!

You post the same lame ass ###### over and over again...... When are you going to invest in a sharp knife and some BMF??? Take a chance man!

The weakest paint jobs sidled by the lamest subjects is beginning to get my GOAT!

I post... Beautiful cars... Highly [usually] detailed subjects, yet, I get less views than this ShappaHead!!!!!!

I am FLOORED beyond it all...

http://www.modelcars...=1&#entry278149

This is a car CLEARLY above what is generally posted here... The post count is so low I thought it really didn't get noticed.

Before you think this is a cry for attention.... let me say this. I appreciate the time OTHERS put in to patronize other posters. But where's the help?

Saying, their POS is worthy of our reverence? I know it deserves HEALTHY criticism, but we are not helping Nick telling him we are on board with his less than avarage builds time after time.

Time to MAN UP Nick. Build something righteous DUDE. I have had it.

I Am not being PC here and I could care less. Truth is..... The more of us that get on the less than motivated, the better this hobby will be.

I know this seems unseemly coming from me, but I have had it with just OK. I want better than OK.......

Dukesfan...... buy a friggin knife and some BMF......

Bob Frias OUT....

Tonight, it's time for a reckoning of sorts.....

I get to bitch, you get to post after it......

That's the GREAT thing about what it is I am about to do.....

Dukefan, I love ya.... But I have not see ONE IOTA of progress in your modeling. Not one!!!!!

You post the same lame ass ###### over and over again...... When are you going to invest in a sharp knife and some BMF??? Take a chance man!

The weakest paint jobs sidled by the lamest subjects is beginning to get my GOAT!

I post... Beautiful cars... Highly [usually] detailed subjects, yet, I get less views than this ShappaHead!!!!!!

I am FLOORED beyond it all...

http://www.modelcars...=1&#entry278149

This is a car CLEARLY above what is generally posted here... The post count is so low I thought it really didn't get noticed.

Before you think this is a cry for attention.... let me say this. I appreciate the time OTHERS put in to patronize other posters. But where's the help?

Saying, their POS is worthy of our reverence? I know it deserves HEALTHY criticism, but we are not helping Nick telling him we are on board with his less than avarage builds time after time.

Time to MAN UP Nick. Build something righteous DUDE. I have had it.

I Am not being PC here and I could care less. Truth is..... The more of us that get on the less than motivated, the better this hobby will be.

I know this seems unseemly coming from me, but I have had it with just OK. I want better than OK.......

Dukesfan...... buy a friggin knife and some BMF......

Bob Frias OUT....

I don't think a new exacto and a sheet of foil is going to help much here...Nick needs to follow along with Mark's tutorial to try and get a better understanding of the essential basics.....The foil stuff can come later.

Body prep and paint work development is what Nick should really be focusing on...

I think U guys have it all got it wrong. The boy is 14 coming 15 and for his age I say he is doing a great job. yeah everybody needs to learn but give him a chance and stop busting his balls. This model has inspired me to go hunting for a firebird kit. So dukfan it's a THUMBS UP FROM ME.

Edited by cazxr2

As stated earlier Craig, we are not busting his balls. We are trying to help him understand his problem areas and get better/stronger in those areas. At 15, I was in a model club with guys twice my age at the youngest. They sat me down, pointed out my bad areas, and helped me understand and get better. By 19, I was able to make wheels removable, detail engine bays convincingly, and lay down good paint jobs and work with BMF. At 19, I chopped a Sedan into a 'vert (the new-at-the-time Lindberg Dodge 330 Super Stocker) and made it look like the kit was done that way.

I am glad that Nick inspired you to build one of the Firebirds....Davezinn is working that very magic on me right now (no matter how hard I try to resist). Nick has the potential to be real good, if he would just take the time to finish his prep work and lay down some smooth paint. THAT is what we are trying to get him to understand. No ball-busting, just reality. You can die with 1,000 rough built models or die with 100 very nice models. Either way you are dead, but what will be remembered or represented...........that you cared about the finer details of life or you half-attepmted it? Personally, I would rather have cared about the finer points (that is just me from an older perspective).

I get it that everybody is helping with what they say. What I mean is that somtimes it looks like ur being too hard. He pointed out at the start of this post that " the paint isn't 100%" so he knows it ain't perfect. I've only just started building models this year and I'm 30 and to be honest if I could produce anything like ad good ad this. I would be happy, remember not everybody is as good as the next man. And for some people it's just a bit off fun model building( like me) and yes we all want to become as good as we can. But we don't need everyone saying what's wrong. I personaly think that if nick himself is happy .then his job is done. We all build fir different reasons. And ps the car above is also amazing. :0)

Edited by cazxr2

Much as described by Mr. Taylor I see a reactive, defensive side to the help offered. And wonder why Nick is so resistant and indecorous to the efforts of so many here to help him improve. As if Nick thinks is already one of the better builders, but his work clearly does not back up the attitude and his parroted “historical knowledgeâ€, which when corrected is met with equally annoying responses (excuses).

He may be the best young builder in Whitby, but not here by a long shot. There are many seasoned and accomplished builders here that are trying to help him improve his building. It is very rude for him to complain to the qualified builders who are trying to help and are honest about what everyone can see by justifying what he built as if it is to the level of quality he seems to think it is in his mind.

Nick, maybe you should do some homework and find out who some of the guys who are trying to help are, what their credentials are before you dismiss them as “about as good as you†and further insult them. You obviously know how to collect info from the internet. Or are you already knowledgeable of these guys and is it a personality trait you are displaying?

If you are content building to the level you are, fine. But don’t whine when you don’t get the responses you want. I know you say you are 14, but you also claimed to be a very mature 14, act like it and grow up. Part of that is accepting the constructive criticism you have asked for. Or continue doing what you do and get the responses you get, it is attention after all, I suspect that is what it is really all about for you… Otherwise why would you continue this way?

Very well stated Mark and Mark, and quite to the point. I too get that from Nick, which is why I seldom post replies in his builds.

He may build 'Just for the fun of it' and enjoy his current level of mass-production. But when he asks for help/constructive critisism and then whines about getting it; that throws a wrench into most peoples thinking (like Mark stated). Then others come along with the 'Just leave him alone; his builds look amazing for a 15 year old.' junk, it further degrades what we are trying to say and help him with. True, everyone is at a different level skill-wise, and some want to progress. I want to get better, and take the advice of others when asked for and given freely. And to go along with Marks' (Scale-Master) comment on knowing who you are talking to (or down to), I will tell you now that I am an absolute nobody in the model car world. However, a lot who try to help you ARE NOT nobodies.

cazxr2; welcome to the hobby. Just because you are 30 and fresh to the hobby doesn't mean you will be horrid. I have a fair idea you will learn many things here and amaze yourself with what you can do. Keep an open mind, try new things, and never fear to ask questions or read old posts. We are here for the same reasons, to enjoy slinging glue and whacking plastic. Sometimes you might not like the answers you will get, but they are meant in good heart. And thank you for the compliment on the Duster, but I have to say it serves a better example of a learning curve than it does a finished model!!

Bob; talk about tough love! I too commend you for brutal honesty, though I believe it will be wasted except for those who already know and believe your points. I can hear the 'Leave Nick alone' crowd spooling up now. By the way, your rail job looks wonderful.....I would be proud to call it mine.

Edited by whale392

Nick, I got love for your Firebird.

From one inexperienced builder to another: you don't have to put into practice what others say (especially me!), but at least hear them out since many of them have been building longer than your or I have been alive. :lol:

In personal experience, following what these guys post in regards to basic prep work has shown substantial results in my last build. Keeping an open mind to suggestions, constructive criticism and self-improvement will make our future projects more satisfying in the long run. One bad building habit I have been trying to break is rushing. When I slowed down and took my time, the build turned out so much better. Hopefully the next one will be even better.

Nathan