Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT's Ford F350 pickups

mk11

Speaking of- I've been toying with doing one of these as an Australian truck. I was doing a lot of online image search for these trucks when I was building the '75 and the '78, and I dug up quite a few Australian Dentsides, many of them had some really cool flatbed bodies and 'roo bars on them.

Ray- yes you DO need to finish that one. :D

Just ordered a '76/77 grille like that one from Bandit Resins- I figure I'm on a bit of a roll with this reissue, might as well do as many variations as I can.

Yeah I know Chuck & Mike, got to a point where the interior was a problem converting over to RHD, just had a brain fade and couldn't get it sorted so I 'shelved' it in 2011 :(

I un-shelved it and decided to paint it white and blue in 2012 and that's where I got to.... :rolleyes:

Hopefully she will be finished this year, BMF was a real PINTA.....lot's of it :lol: !

Speaking of- I've been toying with doing one of these as an Australian truck. I was doing a lot of online image search for these trucks when I was building the '75 and the '78, and I dug up quite a few Australian Dentsides, many of them had some really cool flatbed bodies and 'roo bars on them.

Yeah they still get around over here Chuck and lot's of them, there's a guy round the corner from my place who has one and you can hear the thing coming up the road, sounds really tough :D !

DSC00331-Copy.jpg

I remember this project! You gotta finish this thing up Ray! I'm getting ready to scratchbuild a similar type chassis for my '62 F-100.

Yeah they still get around over here Chuck and lot's of them, there's a guy round the corner from my place who has one and you can hear the thing coming up the road, sounds really tough :D !

I can imagine! Seems like a lot of them have big ol' smoke stacks on them.

1978fordaustralianflatbed_zps8290f14a.jp

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Looks like it...

$_57.JPG

...right from the first time they showed up in the boonie boss. Sure would have been nicer if they'd sourced wheels from the '79 bronco...

P7154246

...along with some of the other more accurate pieces from it. Too bad we didn't get this thread started sooner. We might have helped R2 make a better kit ^_^

mike

Edited by mk11

They should have put these from the '73 in it. At least they're eight lugs and no more outdated than the chrome spoke wheels.

003_zps564c1d05.jpg

Just looking at them, they look like a 16.5 inch wheel. I thought my '77 had them also. But, they only have the factory wheel covers. Something else that's odd is the '77 has two piece plastic tires while the '73 has hollow vinyl tires.

Regarding the reduced chrome in the '77, probably something to do with their plastic allocation; add new parts, take away some old parts. As the box topper was added to the '77 annual, I guess they thought the extra chrome pieces could be eliminated. The boonie boss was a similar situation. Even that doesn't explain why we've been gypped out of the extra pieces on the star truk chrome shot for the regular '75 and '76 annuals though...

mike

Edited by mk11

For those interested in doing their own surgery on the box, this link to Mr Ellifrit's how-to album might be a help...

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Repstock/library/Ford%20pickup%20standard%20wheelbase%20bed?sort=6&page=1

mike

In the last frame, he mentions doing the inner bed later. Was there a tutorial for that? I can't find any mention on the site you referenced.

They should have put these from the '73 in it. At least they're eight lugs and no more outdated than the chrome spoke wheels.

003_zps564c1d05.jpg

Just looking at them, they look like a 16.5 inch wheel. I thought my '77 had them also. But, they only have the factory wheel covers. Something else that's odd is the '77 has two piece plastic tires while the '73 has hollow vinyl tires.

Most 1976 and '77 AMT annual kits had two-piece tires made out a hard plastic that seems nearly impossible to glue. Only exception I can think of is the '77 Pacer wagon which came with Firestone Supremes.

Most 1976 and '77 AMT annual kits had two-piece tires made out a hard plastic that seems nearly impossible to glue. Only exception I can think of is the '77 Pacer wagon which came with Firestone Supremes.

You're right Don. I wonder why they made the switch? I remember hating them when I was a kid! You would get the model built and in no time, the tires would split apart! Revell had the same type of tires around that era.