Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hi All Paint Primer ??? And Pics Inside

wolfer

HEY ALL THANKS FOR ANSWERING ALL MY RECENT??? with that said i have paint and primer ???

1. i am going to be using mostly duplicolor , tamiya and hok spray can paint

2. i have not had much luck with dupli white . the grey is better. then i tried tamiya white and grey and gotta tell you i think this stuff is great . i bought a can of the new testors one coat lacquer at a LHS and was told that the tamiya can be used under all the above paints (whice is what mike mc ansered in a below post THANK YOU ) you can even use enamel primer under laquer paint. i know you cant use lacquer paint over emamel am i right on this?

3.i have also heard that there is 2 types of hok in cans. i have what is below .

so out of testors and tamiya primers can i use these with the three paints from above ? i have also heard to test on plastic spoons. but when i tried the exact paints on 2 spoons i had 2 diffent results???

4 the hok bottle below is lacquer correct???

THANKS ALL I PROMISE NOT TO HAVE ANOTHER THIS LONG THANKS ROB

May2007007.jpg

May2007006.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
HEY ALL THANKS FOR ANSWERING ALL MY RECENT??? with that said i have paint and primer ???

1. i am going to be using mostly duplicolor , tamiya and hok spray can paint

2. i have not had much luck with dupli white . the grey is better. then i tried tamiya white and grey and gotta tell you i think this stuff is great . i bought a can of the new testors one coat lacquer at a LHS and was told that the tamiya can be used under all the above paints (whice is what mike mc ansered in a below post THANK YOU ) you can even use enamel primer under laquer paint. i know you cant use lacquer paint over emamel am i right on this?

3.i have also heard that there is 2 types of hok in cans. i have what is below .

so out of testors and tamiya primers can i use these with the three paints from above ? i have also heard to test on plastic spoons. but when i tried the exact paints on 2 spoons i had 2 diffent results???

4 the hok bottle below is lacquer correct???

THANKS ALL I PROMISE NOT TO HAVE ANOTHER THIS LONG THANKS ROB

May2007007.jpg

May2007006.jpg

I've had lousy luck with Duplicolor white primer, just too thin for my liking. If you want a good white primer, try the Plastikote from Michael's Crafts. It withstands lacquers, it IS my white primer of choice right now.

The Tamiya primer should be good for almost anything, but try it on some scrap first. I do this quite often when I have doubts on something new.

I have never tried enamel primer under a lacquer paint, and certainly never lacquer over enamel in any shape or form, although some people get away with it, sometimes.

Don't confuse the Kustom Kolors paint with the real deal HOK (Black Gold) lacquers. Kustom Kolors is an enamel based product, if they have a primer in the rack that goes with the line of paint, use it. The HOK Black Gold line is lacquer based. I use Duplicolor primer (the big cans are a great value) under it and never have had a problem.

I'm a big advocate about getting people to switch to lacquers, which are almost all by now acrylic lacquers due to environmental regulations. It dries harder and faster than enamel, polishes out better (IMHO).

Bob