Model Cars Magazine Forum

What we do for our hobby...

Yesterday I got the latest issue of Model Cars magazine, and read the cartoon. I don't want to spoil it for anyone who hasn't gotten the magazine yet, but it got me to thinking of some of the strange things we do, such as using pantyhose over the end of a vacuum cleaner hose to find a lost part.

I thought it might be fun to start a thread of all those goofy things we do for our hobby. I will start- today I went to the 99 cent store because a modelling friend told our club meeting that they had Spice Girl figures there, and that each figure has multiple poses and clothes. You should have seen the checker's face when a 58 year old man buys a bunch of spice girls!

OK, your turn.

One thing I have done is check out the dollhouse area at Hobby Lobby... I've bought some tiny brass hinges there. Not so bad to go to the checkout with them, but when you're standing there "browsing" the dollhouse items and one of the store employees gives you that look... :lol:

Well, I'm not going to leave Vince hanging here. I've visited the dept. store makeup counter many times purchasing different wild shades of nail polish to spray through my airbrush.

This has been one of my latest tricks too. They have some of the wildest colors available, way outside of the color range they offer in rattle cans or model bottles. I just shot some pearl essence on a car the other day and it looks fantastic..

And then comes that "sweet spot" in a mans' life and it doesn't matter what anybody else is thinking. (waiting) :)

I'm with you here. I get some pretty funny looks while im in JoAnns (a fabric and craft store) I walk every isle and look at everything. One day i bought a bunch of lace (layed it over a model and shot paint at it..Very cool) i don't care what people think or the looks i get, i'm just having a blast!

I go to Sally's beauty product store with my wife. Guys you shouldn't be to bothered what people think, they have a great selection of nail polishes in all colors of metallics and pearls. The lady in the store says alot of men buy the nail polishes for all kinds of hobbies, they even get taxidermists in there and buy them. My LHS doesn't have a selection of paints that large.

Boy, what a tough crowd!

The figures say on the package that they are 3 inches, which works out to be a bit tall, but we all know how hard it is to find female figures that aren't conversions from male figures, with very large hands and all of the wrong proportions. I appreciate those of you who were brave enough to give more examples.

I must admit that I had a good laugh at some of the comments, and I hope to hear more input from you guys. Hopefully some of you will even give me some ideas to steal.

This HAS been a fun thread, but a little different than I expected. Don't stop now!

Speaking of nail polish, when in that area check out the little fingernail sticky's, or nail tattoo's that are there. They make for interesting little pieces for jackets, and such. Check out the bed cover, on my HO scale 54 Ford. Also check out thye bead aisle, and sewing dept's. You'll find all sorts of useful stuff there. When I was doing 1/25th scale I would but 2-3 yards of white corduroy material for interior use.

P1010358.jpg

Edited by Mercman

One thing I have done is check out the dollhouse area at Hobby Lobby... I've bought some tiny brass hinges there. Not so bad to go to the checkout with them, but when you're standing there "browsing" the dollhouse items and one of the store employees gives you that look... :lol:

l have had some strange looks also in the doll house section buying a hanfull of items at hobby lobby. Also get that look at walgreens buying make up applicators for detail work. l am just glad l don't have to get anything in the Kotex isle....

I've never done it myself, but I imagine that going to the makeup aisle to buy a couple of bottles of nail polish can be a little awkward... :P

iv done it !!!! and wen your in that isle and your a 17 year old boy it throws up an eyebrow

l have had some strange looks also in the doll house section buying a hanfull of items at hobby lobby. Also get that look at walgreens buying make up applicators for detail work. l am just glad l don't have to get anything in the Kotex isle....

Y'all need to be more secure in your manhood :rolleyes: ......doesn't bother me one bit to wear a pink shirt* and go pick up Kotex for the Wife or daughter B)

*the back of he shirt says "Stop laughing,your GF left it on my floor" :lol:

Edited by Olskoolrodder