Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT M&H Racemaster Dragster Slicks & Parts Pack Tires

Gregg

Two things about these that are so great:

1) The pad-printing is incredibly fine and crisp, which allows types of lettering and approaches to design that have been largely unavailable.

2) They have a nice texture to the "rubber" - these tires look great left slightly shiny or dullcoated, and the tread area takes very well to scuffing,

The only negative is really just a temporary one (I hope!). They're very stylized and, until Round2 comes out with additional styles, they will really jump out on people's builds and be very noticeable for what they are. So I wish them great success with this initial release and that they will be encouraged to create more.

what does everyone think about the exclusive ones with the red stripe right in the middle of the white sidewall? was there a real life prototype for that design? if not, how acceptable is it to use them (note: i myself would use them just because they look kinda kool...would have been kooler with blue stripe maybe, but i am asking more for the sake of contest table nit-pickers (used in the very nicest way)) on say a mid 60s rod?

i like the idea of bringing back parts packs (what a surprise and here i thought they were an extinct species), and i wish they would now bring out some matching skinny front tires ideally with some halibrand kidney bean wheels!

what does everyone think about the exclusive ones with the red stripe right in the middle of the white sidewall? was there a real life prototype for that design? if not, how acceptable is it to use them (note: i myself would use them just because they look kinda kool...would have been kooler with blue stripe maybe, but i am asking more for the sake of contest table nit-pickers (used in the very nicest way)) on say a mid 60s rod?

i like the idea of bringing back parts packs (what a surprise and here i thought they were an extinct species), and i wish they would now bring out some matching skinny front tires ideally with some halibrand kidney bean wheels!

I've been told (and its been mentioned) that the markings on the existing M&H slicks aren't correct (M&H never had white letters) but a lot of guys liked to paint the letters by hand with whitewall paint. I've seen redline pie crust slicks in 1:1, not sure if they were M&H or not.

check out the movie munsters go home grandpaw`s dragula has the white wall with red line on it - youll see it really good when herman gets a flat lol - ive seen them on youtub too in vintage drag vido`s on old gassers mostly but a few 63 and older s/s cars too.

http://www.munsterkoach.com/dragula1l.htm

Scroll to the bottom pic, it shows the sidewall with both stripes the best. Strangely enough, there's an earlier scene where Herman and Grandpa are building the car that shows it with wider blackwalls and different wheels, more like what the car had on the show.

Well, at least now I know what I'm putting mine on! Just need to get another Drag-U-La when the single kits come out.

RE: "I've been told (and its been mentioned) that the markings on the existing M&H slicks aren't correct (M&H never had white letters) but a lot of guys liked to paint the letters by hand with whitewall paint. I've seen redline pie crust slicks in 1:1, not sure if they were M&H or not."

According to the pictures in the recent articale in the first issue of "Elapsed Times" from Car Craft they look like dead ringers to the pictures in all of their adds. This is a 12 page article about M&H Racemaster drag slicks.

Edited by Greg Myers

http://www.munsterko...m/dragula1l.htm

Scroll to the bottom pic, it shows the sidewall with both stripes the best. Strangely enough, there's an earlier scene where Herman and Grandpa are building the car that shows it with wider blackwalls and different wheels, more like what the car had on the show.

Well, at least now I know what I'm putting mine on! Just need to get another Drag-U-La when the single kits come out.

Oh cool! I love the Munsters and so does my Dad! It's his favorite show ever.

I'm definitely planning on building a Dragula for him one of these days and these will come in handy!

Actually, "Hot Rod Herman" was my favorite episode. Remember when Herman pulls the shifter out of the car and it has all kinds of tranny guts dangling from it? LOL

I laughed so hard at the beginning, when Grandpa was sitting and reading the newspaper- "It's says this year, the Yankees are out for blood. I'll tell ya, that sure is a whole lot funner than playing baseball..." :lol: :lol:

Edited by Wayne Buck

• 8 months later...

I just got an email from Model Roundup saying that orders are now availible on AMT newest parts pack, two sets of Firestone Delux Champion Whitewalls. They are priced at $12.90 at Model Roundup.

Here's what's on MR's Site:

Firestone Deluxe Champion Tire Pack (1/25) (fs)

The second serving of AMT's classic Tire-Pack reissues is here...the classic Firestone "Deluxe Champion" stock tire set. This venerable tire has been retooled a couple of times over the years, as it's used in so many kits. The earliest 1/25 replica of this tire became dubbed the "Trophy Series" tire, as it was generic without any sidewall lettering. Later retools saw Firestone lettering added and changes in the style and accuracy of the tread pattern. AMT's new incarnation of the tire has improved detail, featuring an accurate tread pattern, engraved Firestone lettering as well as the "F" crest and associated "Gum Dipped" lettering.

Features

• 1 set of four Firestone Deluxe Champion Thin Whitewall tires
  • 1 set of four Firestone Deluxe Champion Wide Whitewall tires

clear1x1.gifDBox_Border_Left_Bottom.gifclear1x1.gifDBox_Border_Right_Bottom.gif
clear1x1.gif
Go AMT!

amt2.jpg

Pictures? Anyone? Pictures?

When my plastic pusher approached me about a pre-order, I got the impression it was a 2-pr set of slicks. I thought the price a little high, considering the previous release of slicks in multiple pairs. Guess I missed the boat. :huh:

Pictures?

B)