Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hershel McGriff's 1950 Oldsmobile

2002p51

How about a photo of your display case, you must have hundreds of builts by now.

Well, okay you asked for it. You can't really use the term "display case" though as you can see.

modelroom01-vi.jpg

This is the main side of the combined model room/office that I share with my wife.

modelroom02-vi.jpg

And this is the opposite wall.

At present there are 323 built models on these shelves. Well, actually there are only 315 on the shelves and that's my current problem. I've run completely out of shelf space and I have 8 completed models sitting around on my workbench and stuck in a corner. My wife and I have been talking about where I might find room for more shelves and we have a couple of ideas but I still haven't decided what to do about this little problem. Or I may just have to stop building! :D

My wife and I have been talking about where I might find room for more shelves and we have a couple of ideas but I still haven't decided what to do about this little problem. Or I may just have to stop building! :D

Do what I did. Move into an old, circa-1903 farm house. When one room fills... just put up some shelves in one of the six or seven spare bedrooms you'll have!

I've used white latex house paint for painting whitewalls with good results. It is thick enough to cover well, a little wate can change the consistancy. As I recall it did not crack although I have painted the tires after installing on rims. The latex paint doesnt react with the vinyl like oil and laquer based paints can. Looks like you had fun with that Olds, what a unique addition to your collection.

modelroom02-vi.jpg

And this is the opposite wall.

My wife and I have been talking about where I might find room for more shelves and we have a couple of ideas but I still haven't decided what to do about this little problem. Or I may just have to stop building! :D

I'd say this; remove the posters above the shelves and build more shelves like whats in place already... Looks like you could build another four shelves in the space you have...

There's always room for more shelves! :)

Edited by Wagoneer81

I'd say this; remove the posters above the shelves and build more shelves like whats in place already... Looks like you could build another four shelves in the space you have...

There's always room for more shelves! :)

Already thought of that. They'd be too high, I'd never see the models way up there.

Edited by 2002p51

How do you keep dust off all those models? They're just sitting out in the open... do you actually dust them all?

I can't keep dust off of them, Harry. From time to time I'll dust a few of them and eventually they all get dusted. It's like those guys who paint the Golden Gate bridge. By the time they get done painting from one end to the other, it's time to go back to the beginning and start again! :lol:

This is a fine piece of workmanship.... thank you for sharing this..... A replica of this car exists in private hands in Portland (my home home town)....I know the owner and had the privilege of seeing (and sitting in) the actual car...... you have done a great job!!!!