Model Cars Magazine Forum

dirt track water truck

Rick,

You might want to try New Ray tankers. Although they are 1/32 scale, they come in both round and elliptical shapes. The ends can be removed and the tank length shortened. They are reasonably priced, and you can get two tanks out of one. They also make pup tanks in case you don't want to cut, etc. Look forward to seeing what you come up with. Here is one of my projects "In Progress"

David

post-9161-0-34834100-1390447623_thumb.jp

PVC pipe works for a round tank, but you would have to come up with end caps, either sheet plastic of possible a smaller diameter PVC cap that fits inside instead of over the ends.

I have heard you can put PVC pipe into boiling water which will soften it enough to squash into an elliptical tank shape, but have not tried that myself.

Another option for the tank is the Revell 1/32 Mack and tanker trailer. Not only do you get a decent tank, but the tractor trailer wheels will work for a 1/25 scale dually.

Edited by Aaronw

plastic bottle, or some kinda household thing was what i was hoping to come up with. is all new ray tankers stuff 1/32

As far as I know, all of New Ray's trucks are 1/32,.................BUUUUUUUUUUUT...............I have found that many of their trailers are horribly out of scale! This pic shows two New Ray Freightliner Classic XLs and shows just how badly scaled the trailers (especially any box shape) are. The dirty maroon in the foreground is pulling one of AMT's old 70s era 1/32 scale Trailmobile reefers and the shiny red one in the back has a bullrack that originally came with a Kenworth W900.

HPIM2987.jpg

HPIM2988.jpg

Even at this angle, you can see how much taller the New Ray trailer is, and these next couple pics show that trailer next to AMT's 1/25 scale Wilson Livestock Trailer.

HPIM2984.jpg

HPIM2985.jpg

HPIM2983.jpg

The New Ray livestock trailer is almost big enough to pass for 1/25 scale!

I'm not going to say for sure if the tanks are as out of scale as the box trailers are (the livestock trailer isn't the only one!), but if I happen to see one of the tanks soon next time I'm in a truckstop that has them, I'll be sure to check it out.

By the way, some of the lowboys with equipment also appear to be badly scaled, and not just the lowboy, but the equipment too! They too could almost pass for 1/25 scale, just something to keep in the deep memory banks. I've seen some with excavators and I think even a military version with a tank!

I believe PVC pipe will be the way to go with this, also.....Best way to do it without sacrificing a tanker kit, but those kits aren't that great as a tanker model, anyway....You can get 2 tanks for trucks out of it and use the chassis for an acid tanker or belly dump or something....So you really wouldn't lose any money on it....There's always something you can do with spare parts.....You could, even, trade them off.....

You ca also make a cheap tanker by using some balsa or light wood to fashion the oval shape for the front and back and maybe a support in the middle. Get a styrene "for sale" sign from the hardware store for the body and wrap it. Front and back can be covered with same material ready for details to be made.

Matt- The "Cattle Pots" of today overcast the old Wilson trailers. The Wilsons are pretty small compared to the newer ones.

• 2 weeks later...

Matt- The "Cattle Pots" of today overcast the old Wilson trailers. The Wilsons are pretty small compared to the newer ones.

Yep, I know Sean, and maybe a nice new modern 53' bullrack can be another to the truck modelers growing wish list that maybe Moebius will listen and give us! :D

Around here, most of the dirt tracks would build their own water trucks. Nothing fancy. The tanks were almost always round, and the one truck I'm the most familiar with (an early '60s GMC), had flat ends on the tank. One like that would be very easy to replicate in scale. The sprinkler on the back was fairly simple as well, a length of pipe with holes drilled in, and a small pump that IIRC, was run off a PTO.

Rick,

You might want to try New Ray tankers. Although they are 1/32 scale, they come in both round and elliptical shapes. The ends can be removed and the tank length shortened. They are reasonably priced, and you can get two tanks out of one. They also make pup tanks in case you don't want to cut, etc. Look forward to seeing what you come up with. Here is one of my projects "In Progress"

David

When you gona finish this one?

When you gona finish this one?

Adam,

As usual, I've been juggling several projects. Trying to get my 30 year old brush truck completed before the truck is retired. : ) Trying to do something creative with the pump panel on the tanker. Plan to do it so no one will say "Oh, that is from the ___ kit"... Unlike Sheldon from Big Bang Theory, my Mom never had me tested...

Adam,

As usual, I've been juggling several projects. Trying to get my 30 year old brush truck completed before the truck is retired. : ) Trying to do something creative with the pump panel on the tanker. Plan to do it so no one will say "Oh, that is from the ___ kit"... Unlike Sheldon from Big Bang Theory, my Mom never had me tested...

HAHAHA understand and now throw a lonestar in the mix

Hersheys Cocoa cans are a combination of oval and square, kind of a fuel truck shape, working on a tanker made by joining two together. Its a win, win....I get the containers and my wife gets cocoa to make me cookies!!!!! I'll see if I can post pictures in the next couple of days