Model Cars Magazine Forum

Question on IHC S-Series trucks

Hallo guys

As my Mack is ready for the paint and I have to wait until the parts dry well I picked up an old project that I started some years ago. I stared to collect the parts and more information on that thing. All my information are not 100%. I have only two shots of such a truck. I now that it should be an International S-Serie F-2657 build around 1986. The engine is called Cummins 300.

Now my questions up to you, perhaps you know more about this truck and can answer my questions.

Well here we go:

What means Cummins 300? Is this a Cummins NTC?

What type of rear axel does this truck have? Leaf springs or air? For a mid 80es truck would be an air rear suspension normal or?

Do you know same more companies which used such trucks (single axel truck)?

This is the truck I am talking about.

test2.jpg

Thanks for your efforts.

So long

Arnd

Edited by Arnd

Hey Gordon

Thanks for the fast answer. That with the ABF lot in your neighborhood sound grate. If it is not too much work and time and not a too big effort for you it would be grate if you could take some detail shots of that truck. The rear suspension and the engine are my big problems. Thanks a lot for your help and efforts.

The idea with doubles is grate, but in the picture I have, the truck is hooked up to a trailer with three axels. I suppose that it must be a high powered tractor for high weight.

So long

Arnd

Cummins 300...well the 300 only tells it's a 300 hp engine, most likely NTC.
An adjucated guess would be that the rear suspension is leaf springs

If the tractor is a single drive with no tag axle it's not a heavy weight hauler as there are limits on how much weight you can have per axle or axle combinations on the roads...and for a single drive axle without a tag axle it's not that much, maybe somewhere around 20 000 pounds, 10 US tonnes or slightly over 9 metric tonnes, so they are more of a lighter duty truck.

So as Aaron says, most of the single drive tractors with no tag axle hauls double or triple short one axle trailers (commonly called "pups")...or lighter single trailers...and the 3 axle trailer in your picture could as well have been empty...otherwise it can't have much weight over the kingpin due to the weight limitations for the truck tractor wich is somewhere around 30 000 pounds gross, (15 us tonnes or 23.6 metric tonnes) in this configuration.

I did a google picture search just now and most of the pictures I found of ABF single drive trucks hauls double or triple pups.

Edited by Force

Hakan I think yo.u are right with the rear suspention, I hoped to build somethig a bit different with the air ride but it is like it is.

By the way what do you thik is trhe wheelbase of this truck? Is it something about 134 or smaller?

And what is normaly for a single axel truck, the distance between the back of the cab and the middle of the fifth whell?

Edited by Arnd