Model Cars Magazine Forum

1932 Ford Chassis?

Ok , if my memory serves me right : A suicide Frame : is mounting the Front axle with a Non - Factory spring perch in front of the radiator . At the vertical part of the front thus making the frame the support rather than the the cross member . That is instead of the original cross member placed there behind this front rail to support Front Axle / Core . Neatly and appropriately named .

A zeed Frame is : looking at a Ford Frame , the cross section is like the letter "C" or a side ways turned U . To beef these up in the day , one welded a section of (not sure of the thickness , matched original) (1/4"?) Flat Stock Bar from an outside edge to the fold on the opposite side where the form changes from Horizontal / Vertical . The cross section profile now resembled a Z , ignoring the extra original Vertical portion . Neatly and appropriately named . A boxed frame is the same procedure welding another section of Flat Stock , boxing up the C or sideways U . making a Box shape . Neatly and appropriately named . Thanx ..

> A zeed Frame is : looking at a Ford Frame , the cross section is like the letter "C" or a side ways turned U . To beef these up in the day ,

>one welded a section of (not sure of the thickness , matched original) (1/4"?) Flat Stock Bar from an outside edge to the fold on the

>opposite side where the form changes from Horizontal / Vertical . The cross section profile now resembled a Z

well maybe i am way out of my league here but thats not what i have ever thought of as a Zed frame. what i think the term means is to raise the rear (or front but more typically the rear) axle and thereby lower the vehicle by taking a section of the rear frame and moving it up in relation to the rest of the frame and then connecting it with some steel or even just welding it on top of where it was cut, making the frame resemble a "Z" when viewed from the side.

perhaps i have been mislead all my life?

• 1 month later...

IIRC ; I was told this by a Car Fabricator way back in the Past . Could be I have this confused with something else . The procedure described after my post seems logical to drop the car as low . I must retract my description of a Zed Frame ; "How Low can you go" was the mantra in the day . I retract this method .

I will stick to the Boxed Frame method . Thanx ..