Model Cars Magazine Forum

how can i start building models like you guys

jay8allday

hi guys im new to the site just started back trying to build models again and looking at your cars i am amazed at how realistic they are and how most of the cars are scratch built. I want to build three drag cars for me and my dad for what i plan on building in real life in the future for us. So I just wanted some help and tips on how you guys do so much custome work I built him a stock 63 impala which was nothing compared to what im seeing on here. So please give me some tips on how to build the custom roll cages ,etc. Im currently building a 55 chevy top sportsman kit from revell so ill try to post some pics of that as i progress and the few pictures i took of the 63 impala build.

Welcome Jerry. Best advice I can give is lay in a starting stock of Plastruct and or Evergreen plastic rod and tubing in a variety of diameters, then start cutting and bending anything to get the feel of how it works. Any number of glues from Model Master to Tenax. When it comes to shape and proportions, do searches for the 1:1 chassis' and rollcages.

Finally, there's a terriffic "How To" section here as well. Trial and error coupled with practice and patience are the best learning tools.

Jay, I don't think you have a good idea of the bulk of our little group here. Most us are just like you, we snip the part off, clean it up, paint it and glue it in place. Yes, we have some terrific builders here capable, willing and twisted enough to build a car from scratch. But they are the minority that are here to inspire us to continue to improve our building skills or just drive us crazy.

I'm a big believer in what I call the "First Rule of Modeling". That is learn to build cleanly. No mold lines, no scratches, sink marks or seams. No excess glue or CA glue haze. A good paint finish. These are the basics and I'm still working on them myself. Master this and the rest will come in time.

Come to one of the shows and talk with people and see if there is a local club in your area. I know it is aways off, but you need to go to the NNL east, you should not be far away from that, not until April 2012. Some modelers from the Philly area where at NNL in Toledo, I think they were from a club so maybe one of them can get you hooked up with where they meet.

Come to one of the shows and talk with people and see if there is a local club in your area. I know it is aways off, but you need to go to the NNL east, you should not be far away from that, not until April 2012. Some modelers from the Philly area where at NNL in Toledo, I think they were from a club so maybe one of them can get you hooked up with where they meet.

Clubs are good to a point for comroddery (sp) and getting to know others in the Hobby... don't get me wrong. But they don't really help you strengthen your skills. Everything I have learned has been from Forums and asking and others on forums and Thousands and Thousands of Reference Pictures... As the old addage goes, "A Picture is worth a Thousand Words!"

The shows are cool to go to, to see other pieces of work and buying kits and parts.. .but don't think you have to be apart of a Club or go to shows to boost your skills.

It is really about the desire to want to do better, and the willingness to accept "Feedback" be it Good/Bad/ or Indifferent! Then willing to make those necessary tweaks to improve your building skills.

But as the other member stated, you have to start somewhere. Start out small and work your way up to the details, it is great to see your own progression in a Hobby you like. You just need the desire and it looks like you have that! Just know your limits and have fun with the hobby, because these small details can push your limitations pretty quick.

Oh and most of all, you need to have the tools and basic knowledge of shapes and how things either function or go together and this will help you achieve your goal... Young Grasshopper!

Patience, and learn something on every step. Preparation is key, and the more you mock up and play with the unpainted styrene, the better you familiarize yourself with the model. And, of course, stick around this forum.

And look up Donn Yost.......from the other side of the state.....he does DVDs and road trips.....see his stuff at a show!

Well, you've started the right way, by asking questions, but to give the right answers we need to know the right questions (not as confusing as it sounds lol). As in what type of cars you want to build ,eg camaro super stocker, pro mod corvette, econo/altered etc. There's a huge amount of knowledge here, and we're all willing to share, so start building, start asking and soon you too will be running what you brung :rolleyes: .

Bart I tend do disagree on your clubs view a little, it depends on the club. I'm a bit younger than most in my club, and theres a few drag builders there. Several who could place very well in any international comps, took the time to teach me several (including basic ) things that seen a huge leap in my skill set. It's just a matter of finding the right one.

and Jerry, follow Robs (Jantrix ) advice, master the basics clean up the mold lines sink marks etc, You'll have a much better base with which to start these killer builds.

Well, you've started the right way, by asking questions, but to give the right answers we need to know the right questions (not as confusing as it sounds lol). As in what type of cars you want to build ,eg camaro super stocker, pro mod corvette, econo/altered etc. There's a huge amount of knowledge here, and we're all willing to share, so start building, start asking and soon you too will be running what you brung :rolleyes: .

Bart I tend do disagree on your clubs view a little, it depends on the club. I'm a bit younger than most in my club, and theres a few drag builders there. Several who could place very well in any international comps, took the time to teach me several (including basic ) things that seen a huge leap in my skill set. It's just a matter of finding the right one.

and Jerry, follow Robs (Jantrix ) advice, master the basics clean up the mold lines sink marks etc, You'll have a much better base with which to start these killer builds.

Brett that is great that you have been able to find a club that has been able to provide you insight and help with your skill set. I would love to find a club with more involvement in custom work. I am just saying that it isn't necessary to seek out a Club for information, with the new age of Computers and the internet. You have great talent from all over the world at your finger tips, you just can't be bashful. Because if you don't ask you don't get great knowledge from so many people.

I like you, find myself to be one of the younger ones when going to Clubs, but at the same time I find myself being the only one that does as much custom fabricating from scratch styrene. So the things that I seek out to learn better ways of doing things, I have better luck on the Net on different forums or site specific websites.

o i wanted to build a small block n/a 57 chevy that would run in 275 drag radial/8.5 outlaw, my pops car would be like the mr.409 62 impala we seen at super chevy one year I also wanted to build a big block nos drag radial 62 impala wagon all having hood scoops and chutes except for my dads car

Jerry, I've been in model car clubs since '75 and it is a lot of fun and you get to see a lot of other people builds and you can learn from them also. The MOST important thing about any model club whether it be cars, planes, ships, military, is Show N' Tell where members display their builds and tell you about them and field your questions about their builds.

While I don't consider myself a terrific builder, I do like my builds and enjoy bringing them to club meetings as well as NNL's and an occasional contest also. I have learned a lot from other builders and by going to a lot of model car shows. This forum is a great place to see what others are building and also to ask questions as most or everybody is willing to help.

o i wanted to build a small block n/a 57 chevy that would run in 275 drag radial/8.5 outlaw, my pops car would be like the mr.409 62 impala we seen at super chevy one year I also wanted to build a big block nos drag radial 62 impala wagon all having hood scoops and chutes except for my dads car

Ok thats pretty simple then. Pretty sure the AMT pro street nova fits under 57 chevs with little hassle providing wheeltubs 4 link and a basic cage to add to or replace. The AMT 62 impala has been released as the Mr 409 (so just find one of the super stock releases), and with a little wheelebase stretching the Revell top sportsman chassis will fit nicely under a 62 impala, the problem here being finding a wagon. As I said before ask specific questions, and some one here will be able to help you out ;) . Theres a couple of members on the board who were or are doing drag radials, check out the resin section for Ma's resins or Shucky.

Edited by brett

• 1 month later...

All of the above advise is spot on and I would like to add one more; keep building. Each build of mine has increased my skill set, pushed my limitations and challenged me to be better. As I've become more familiar with the tools available, reference pictures/articles and by reading the forums, I've challenged myself to strive for better, cleaner and more accurate builds. Practice, practice and more practice. Each build will get better.

So now where's those pictures?