Model Cars Magazine Forum

Foose - Revell Partnership

I hope everyone is just as willing over the next three years to shell out the higher price for these kits as they are right now digesting this announcement. Unless Revell were to half-botch the kit full of compromises they way they did with the Rat Roaster, sincerely following Foose's designs on any of the 6 choices would limit the kit to being JUST that car...forever. MSRP on Revell kits are already creeping ever so close to $30 as it is, one-off kits that have no way to amortize tooling are going to blow straight through that ceiling unless Chip is footing the bill on some sort of revenue sharing agreement.

While none of his stuff particularly blows me away, for reasons stated here by others, I commend Revell for at least thinking outside the collapsible donut box and trying something new. Maybe Chip Foose is the next generation's Ed Roth/Tom Daniels...

Revell had better hope that Chip Foose is the next Ed Roth/Tom Daniels! As was pointed out, these two kits will be done from the ground up as customs, and will be a one shot deal for most modelers. They can be built one way, as one specific car. Most people won't even build another one in a different color, the way we do with stock models, or street machines. I'm sure Revell has done their research, and knows they can sell enough of these kits to cover their costs. The molds won't have a lot of life, and won't be in the perpetual rotating lineup. Once one of these has been done, there won't be a super stock version, a convertible version, a lowrider version or anything like that. Since most individual modelers will be buying a single kit, or at the most a second one to collect a sealed box, they will need to rely upon a larger customer base. This is where the popularity of Foose needs to translate into sales. It's an interesting move by Revell, especially in a market where the most common excuse for not doing a kit is, "We can't make enough versions of that kit to make it profitable."

I hope this pays off for Revell. I also hope they do well at engineering the kits. There is probably more documentation on some of these Foose customs than there is on some of the older production cars they have tooled lately. Any mistake in proportion or detail is going to be pretty obvious! I don't think we have had specific tools made for individual custom cars since the Boyd's Aluma Coupe and some of the Boyd cars by Testors. Before that, I think the last time Revell made a new tool of a custom car was probably either Matt and Debbie Hay's Thunderbird or the Dobbertin J-2000. The T-bird was just reissued this Spring, and the Pontiac has not been redone in 27 years. Revell needs to have great sales on the very first run of these kits, as most of these customs have a pretty limited shelf life before going out of style too. The Rat Roaster has shown them how much of a market there is for contemporary rods and customs, but the kit was somewhat of a modification of an existing kit. It was not a perfect Rat Roaster, and a lot of people bought it to build other variations of '32 roadsters. (I bought three, and I haven't built a Rat Roaster yet)

It's an interesting choice of subjects, and I will be really curious to see which of the cars get voted in.

Pretty stoked for these, glad Revell is taking the leap. Alot of modelers on this board and other have fussed at Revell for just sticking some wheels/tires and the name Foose on kits with out them resembling the box art or a Foose car per se. Well it looks like maybe some one heard you guys.

Sadly,I suspect the F100 will be the old one (like they did with the "Roth" 57 Chevy) I've wanted an update of the F100 since it was originally introduced. :(

I like the list of possible cars but I would LOVE it if those wwere done with stock bodies. Sometimes just wheels n tires n running grear changes would be enough for me. While I generally like Foose's designs, I'm not really that interested in building models of them. I'm still (a little) sad we didn't get a stock bodied 48ford coupe or a stock bodied Caprice wagon.

We'll see I guess...

Edited by mike 51

Revell had better hope that Chip Foose is the next Ed Roth/Tom Daniels!

One would certainly think that Revell would have done pretty extensive market research prior to announcing what seems like a pretty big and expensive deal with Foose.

They may not always have people on staff who know how to measure accurately, or what the parts of cars actually do, but I'm sure they have plenty of business degrees to do marketing studies. ;)

IF the ground-up kits are well designed, correctly proportioned and mechanically scale-accurate, they're more parts-box material I'll certainly buy multiples of, whether I ever intend to build them OOB or not.

Revell had better hope that Chip Foose is the next Ed Roth/Tom Daniels! As was pointed out, these two kits will be done from the ground up as customs, and will be a one shot deal for most modelers. They can be built one way, as one specific car. Most people won't even build another one in a different color, the way we do with stock models, or street machines. I'm sure Revell has done their research, and knows they can sell enough of these kits to cover their costs. The molds won't have a lot of life, and won't be in the perpetual rotating lineup. Once one of these has been done, there won't be a super stock version, a convertible version, a lowrider version or anything like that. Since most individual modelers will be buying a single kit, or at the most a second one to collect a sealed box, they will need to rely upon a larger customer base. This is where the popularity of Foose needs to translate into sales. It's an interesting move by Revell, especially in a market where the most common excuse for not doing a kit is, "We can't make enough versions of that kit to make it profitable."

I hope this pays off for Revell. I also hope they do well at engineering the kits. There is probably more documentation on some of these Foose customs than there is on some of the older production cars they have tooled lately. Any mistake in proportion or detail is going to be pretty obvious! I don't think we have had specific tools made for individual custom cars since the Boyd's Aluma Coupe and some of the Boyd cars by Testors. Before that, I think the last time Revell made a new tool of a custom car was probably either Matt and Debbie Hay's Thunderbird or the Dobbertin J-2000. The T-bird was just reissued this Spring, and the Pontiac has not been redone in 27 years. Revell needs to have great sales on the very first run of these kits, as most of these customs have a pretty limited shelf life before going out of style too. The Rat Roaster has shown them how much of a market there is for contemporary rods and customs, but the kit was somewhat of a modification of an existing kit. It was not a perfect Rat Roaster, and a lot of people bought it to build other variations of '32 roadsters. (I bought three, and I haven't built a Rat Roaster yet)

It's an interesting choice of subjects, and I will be really curious to see which of the cars get voted in.

Hemisfear and Impression for me please.

I hear your observations on limited best before date, few possible variations and so on. However - I cannot help but think it might just work. You see, these kits are not made for you and me. They are made to be bought by the kid who was dragged into Michael's by their craft-minded moms. And possibly also by the good boyfriend who walked in the door only because his sweetheart needed dry flowers and glitter for her project. I believe that Revell by now has seen the the Foose label is selling kits for them. That it is selling enough kits to justify the gamble of two brand new tools. They've tried it, and apparently it works. Otherwise they just wouldn't have signed this deal.

That is one end of it. The other thing that struck me is ; The Hemisfear look like a HotWheels toy. Do you have any idea how many color/graphic variations Mattel has been running of the more popular castings? And the buying public doesn't seem to mind. So the Hemisfear is green, but I can also imagine it could look equally good in blue or red or almost any other color you could think of.

It might just work.

-I have to say on "past" Foose designs the only one I didn't truly like is the danged wheels he used on the past 2 Mopars he done....... The Magnum 500's "enlarged" are OK, BUT the other ones WTH was he thinkin'?????? The ones I'm referring too are on I BELIVE the '67 Charger, I have 2 of those kits and I have one of the '67 Coronet.... I WILL have 2 of those as well! BUT, I'd love to see the Hemisfear done as a 1/25th kit.. I can see A LOT of potential for Mopar builders such as myself.....

Got to remember, sure Revell done there homework, BUT that too..... The cars have all sorts of various things changed on the real cars, WILL they become sold with a lot of "extra" parts? This is a sales ploy, by Revell to use as builders, (I look for models when I buy, with extra choices of details), Air cleaners, decals, valve covers, chrome parts, intake, carburetor, even extra complete motors! Thats all a sales ploy really, and a good one!

THEN keep in mind, how many models over the years that Revell made and may now own from the Monogram line that were "one-offs? HOW MANY millions of that one style "one-off" model are out there???? SEE? I think the "Foose" line from Revell is merely a single sales ploy and its working..... A LOT of one off parts you won't find in a stock kit thats sold these days.... Sadly will cost anyone of us $30 to get, but...... We're the consumer, so, if ya want it, you'll dole out the cash to get it.....

Wow!

What a good new!

Now it's time to get pressure on Revell to bring us accurate depictions of the real cars, like this Impala wich is a heavily modified 1965, not just the stock car with foose wheels!!

Let's hope, we'll have nice Foose models to add to our collections!

"-I have to say on "past" Foose designs the only one I didn't truly like is the danged wheels he used on the past 2 Mopars he done....... The Magnum 500's "enlarged" are OK, BUT the other ones WTH was he thinkin'?????? The ones I'm referring too are on I BELIVE the '67 Charger, I have 2 of those kits and I have one of the '67 Coronet.... I WILL have 2 of those as well! BUT, I'd love to see the Hemisfear done as a 1/25th kit.. I can see A LOT of potential for Mopar builders such as myself....."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Frankly, I'd love to get a couple of sets of those big Rallye wheels and tires that are included with the Foose Charger kit. I could use them on a Revell '09 Challenger, on one of the '06 Chargers that I have, on a "retro-resto-mod" '70 Challenger... If anyone has any that they don't want, I'll be happy to take them off your hands. Does the Foose kit include any other tire and wheel options, or the Hemi headers?

They would probably be better off just releasing a bunch of Foose wheel designs. Virtually all his deigns involve is lowering the car and putting on bigger wheels.

In fact they should just offer Foose transkits: crate motor, bigger wheels/tires, decals - done!

They could also do a Gas Monkey version: LS or Modern Hemi engine, bigger wheels/tires, can of clear paint.

Edited by afx