Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell Mickey Thompson Challenger 1 LSR Model

Roger U

I was at a local Hot Rod shop and there was an unbuilt 1/24 model of Mickey Thompsons Challenger 1 in a display case (I believe it was a Monogram or maybe Revell?). I asked the guy working there if it was for sale, he said the owner didn't want to sell it but there should be some at a nearby hobby shop. I went to the hobby shop and the owner said none available now but they may be coming out again.

I thought I'd better ask you guys as I feel you'd have a much better idea if they are going to be re-issued or not. Thanks in advance for any info you can provide.

According to a couple "reliable" sources, Revell is supposed to release two new funny car kits, supposedly with all new tooling. One can only hope! Time will tell.

According to "me", grilled cheese sandwiches with hamburger dills inside are awesome, but he didn't ask about that, either.

As far as I know, the Challenger LSR is not scheduled for reissue, but like Dave said, check eBay and post a "Wanted" ad here.

I can't imagine the people at the hot rod shop have any idea about the modeling industry. That kit hasn't been reissued for some time. The dude just didn't realize how there is limited time frame on the availability of kits. Too bad he wouldn't sell:(

I'd love to see the Challenger brought back out, but when's the Attempt I going to be re-released? THAT'S something I'd like to have. Even though I already have a couple of them stashed. I've got a thing for four-cylinder race cars and rods, especially when they're as oddball as a Poncho Slant-4 with a supercharger!

That would be cool if they brought out the Attempt I. What I would most like to see is the Summers brothers Goldenrod. I've been away from model building for a long time so I don't know if a Goldenrod model was ever offered but I would really appreciate it if somebody released/re-released it. While they're at it I would also like to see a model available of the 50s through 60s belly tank Laksters ....please :lol: .

• 3 years later...

It's back, this time with a Mickey Thompson figure:

cha3.jpg

cha1.jpg

The previous reissue, as part of the Selected Subjects Program (SSP):

4367de2a-878d-4b49-9357-97a0190647f6.jpg

chall1.jpg

The "Monster Machines" combo kit under the HOT ROD label, from 1987 or so?:

monstermachines.jpg

Original issue:

Chal1.jpg

T2eC16dHJGE9nm3rI5SBRQtdmUbQ60_57.jpg

T2eC16dHJHgE9n0yHCmlBRQtdkIc60_57.jpg

T2eC16FHJG8E9nyfmFwBRQtdnrGw60_57.jpg

Chal2.jpg

Can anyone confirm the SSP reissue did not contain any chrome plated parts? Looking at an eBay listing, it appears the sprue which was chrome plated in the Monster Machines reissue is not plated in the SSP reissue.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've got a half built one I dip back into now & then. It's not a quick build and wiring 4 engines was fun.

Re. chrome, a bit of research shows that there wasn't much that was shiny on the 1:1. I guess Mickey felt polishing was a waste of time as it didn't add mph.

• 4 weeks later...

I have a older version of this kit (I believe it to be from the 1990's) The kit is opened but sealed inside. The instruction sheet calls for some of the parts to be plated but all the parts are molded in blue (no plating) The parts that are marked as chrome on the instructions are present in the sealed bag but they are not plated. Does any one know anything about this issue?

I can understand the rise in price from the time I bought the first one I owned, ($2.00) we all know what inflation is & what the cost of crude oil has done to anything that has to do with it. But,,, the one I picked up at the local Hobby Shop with a sticker over $30 is just to much for me, I don't need to relive that part of my youth that bad, there are newer kits coming out that I feel are a far better deal.

• 4 months later...