Model Cars Magazine Forum

Danica's Go Daddy Nationwide Impala

martinfan5

I have no idea why I am building Danica's ride, but I guess since the days of Mark the kid Martin driving the GD car, I have come to like the paint schemes that the cars are painted in.

p3-41.jpg

So starting with an AMT COT kit, just like with the Kurt Busch Camry build I did, its a lot of putty work

p1-56.jpg

in this pic, I cut a little off the bottom part of the bumper, this will help me get the nose shape a little better this time around

p2-51.jpg

and the putty begins

p4-33.jpg

And work on the chassis, starting with the interior, and adding the missing roll bars, using evergreen .080 rod

p5-22.jpg

p6-15.jpg

I have no idea why I am building Danica's ride, but I guess since the days of Mark the kid Martin driving the GD car, I have come to like the paint schemes that the cars are painted in.

That's funny. Sort of like grunting, scratching and barking out baseball highlights after being caught getting misty eyed watching Terms of Endearment. I enjoy watching Danica Patrick race. It's okay to like her car outright.

Nice work on the roll bars. It sure makes a difference in appreciating the complexity of the safety cage.

Ok, possibly a stupid question from a guy who doesn't know much about today's NASCAR... but aren't all the COT bodies the same? I mean, what is it you're trying to accomplish with all the putty? Is there a difference between Danica's car and all the others?

Not a stupid question Harry, you are correct that all the COT bodys are the same other then nose, the bodys are different between the different series, the Sprint cup series bodys are different from the Nationwide series

As the say a picture is worth a thousand words,

here is the Nationwide Impala , this is what I am trying to do using the AMT COT Sprint cup kit

dp1.jpg

and here is what the cup Impala looks like

dp2.jpg

Edited by martinfan5

The Nationwide Impala looks more like an Impala than the Sprint Cup "Impala," which looks more like the Monte Carlo from which it was derived. <_<

Danica, on the other hand, looks a whole lot more like a gorgeous gazelle and would probably be a whole lot more fun. ;)

Anxiously awaiting the upcoming Nationwide Camaro and Sprint Cup SS. B)

Danica and Danno, sittin' in a tree...

K-I-S-S-I-N-G...

:lol:

Actually, years ago the Lovely and Gracious Mrs. B and I lived in NE Scottsdale ... we had a mailbox at the nearby UPS Store ... so did Danica ... who just breaking into Indy cars big time and before she got married. She lived nearby, but definitely on THE OTHER SIDE of the "tracks." I used to run into Danica at the mailbox ... until the L&GMB was with me one day ... for some reason, she made it a point to pick up the mail every day after that ~ and told me there was no need for me to go down there! :(

It was a whole lot more fun "running into" her than some of our other neighbors ... Fittipaldi, Rahal, Craig Jackson (lived 4 houses down the street), Craig Morton, Randy Johnson, Al Jardine, etc. ... although Jenna Jameson ~ well, that's another story. (Try as I might, I never did "run into" her!) ;)

B)

... until the L&GMB was with me one day ... for some reason, she made it a point to pick up the mail every day after that ~ and told me there was no need for me to go down there! :(

L&GMB... that's good stuff! :lol:

BTW... you're probably better off never having "run into" Jenna Jameson.

The L&GMB would no doubt have frowned on that... :lol:

Reworking the AMT COT kit into something a little nicer than box-stock? Check. A quick explaination of the subtle differences between the Chevrolet cup cars? Check. A reference or two to Jenna Jameson? Check.

This thread might just be as close to perfect as you can get. :D

Reworking the AMT COT kit into something a little nicer than box-stock? Check. A quick explaination of the subtle differences between the Chevrolet cup cars? Check. A reference or two to Jenna Jameson? Check.

This thread might just be as close to perfect as you can get. :D

I aim to please :lol: I think the only thing missing is some

beer.gif , I might have to add PG-13 to the thread tittle

Edited by martinfan5

I am getting closer to getting this one ready for paint, I will skip some of the putty pics, and show you a in primer with some more putty on it, but this might be the final time I need to do more putty work. I also lowered the rear quarter panel/fender and rear bumper to match the 1:1

And the chassis is done, I need not spend that much time on it, heck , the I brush painted the chassis, just light detail painting and that was it.

p4-36.jpg

p6-17.jpg

p7-13.jpg

p8-10.jpg

p1-60.jpg

p2-55.jpg

p3-44.jpg