Model Cars Magazine Forum

'72 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme Hardtop from Missing Link

To make it a correct 1970, you would have to sand off the rocker moldings and the Oldsmobile script on the trunk. To do a 1971 all you would have to sand off is the script on the trunk.

I owned a '71 Cutlass Supreme, and there is no need to remove the "Oldsmobile" lettering from the trunk, as this is correct for '71 and '72, but not for the '70. The rocker molding must be removed for the '70 and '71, which had a chrome molding mounted a few inches higher (see photos). Note also the style of grille, as there were TWO different ones installed on the Cutlass Supreme in '71, with the one seen in the bottom photo most common on uplevel and SX-optioned Cutlass Supremes in '71. If you plan on doing a '70, the hood as seen in the Jo-Han '70 442 kit is not correct for the SX or Supreme, which had a single, large raised area as opposed to the two raised areas seen on the base-model 442.

1dscn0508qi3.jpg101_0008.jpg

I'm no expert, but I've owned over 10 cutlass/442 over the years. The molding on your car was an option on 70-71 supremes. I also had a 71 supreme and it did have the rocker molding , the same one used on the cutlass salon( fastback) model. My 71 didn't have the script on the trunk or any c/s emblems, so maybe it wasn't a supreme and just the notch back style cutlass. We are probably both correct in both ways. The hood stats you stated are correct, as the 70-71 supreme and Vista used a different hood from the 442 and salon.

• 3 weeks later...