Model Cars Magazine Forum

Snake and Mongoose info needed

Ben

Hey guys, who makes the best, resin Cuda body in 1/25 to replicate the yellow Cuda Prudhomme ran. Also, would the recent release of the Navy Mongoose be accurate for the red Mongoose? And last, would I have to scratch build the chassis? I think that style chassis (I forget the name?) was only used in the Monogram 1/24 kits? Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Competition Resin's makes a pretty nice 'Cuda body & a Duster body that I think would work out better for the 'Goose's car as it has the little "hump" in the center of the grille area, the Navy Duster doesn't have the hump being as it's the same body Revell uses for the Revellution Dodge Demon,Slixx decals makes a decal sheet (under the Goodies area) that has a bunch of F/C grilles/taillights,it has a grille/tailights for a '70 'Cuda & Duster, as for the chassis to make a correct build you would more then likely have to scratch build. Too bad you want it in 1/25, I have 2 or 3 (can't remember) of the Snake & Mongoose Combo Kits, I know I have 2.

Competition Resin's makes a pretty nice 'Cuda body & a Duster body that I think would work out better for the 'Goose's car as it has the little "hump" in the center of the grille area, the Navy Duster doesn't have the hump being as it's the same body Revell uses for the Revellution Dodge Demon,Slixx decals makes a decal sheet (under the Goodies area) that has a bunch of F/C grilles/taillights,it has a grille/tailights for a '70 'Cuda & Duster, as for the chassis to make a correct build you would more then likely have to scratch build. Too bad you want it in 1/25, I have 2 or 3 (can't remember) of the Snake & Mongoose Combo Kits, I know I have 2.

LOL, that's why I want to do them in 1/25. I have six of those combo sets, two of each original kit, a couple built and all the Hotwheels Legends and Legends to life versions.

Just thought it would be cool to do them in a really detailed 1/25 version.

whats the Snake and Mongoose box look like?? just curious and was it a 1/16th scale kit?

I have to add that Competition Resins has some nice body's I have two of them and parts and very happy with the quality of them.

Hey Chris, the original red Mongoose and yellow Snake cars have only been done as 1/24 kits by Monogram. They actually scale a little bigger than that, maybe 1/22?

I called Competition Resins about an hour ago and the guy there (didn't get his name) stated that his Cuda and Mongoose bodies would be good to build the Carefree red and yellow cars or the blue Mongoose and white Snake but not the original red and yellow cars. Different greenhouse position on the Duster, wrong grille and I forget what he said about the Cuda? I thought the Cuda would work but he claims it would be wrong?

whats the Snake and Mongoose box look like??

I'm not sure what box your refering too? The originals were drawings of the cars in motion, the second issues were pictures of the actual models and the combo kit is a drawing (painting?) of the Snake and mongoose racing each other.

I'm pretty good at merging stuff together. The Snake body is pretty much a Cuda without wheel blisters. You could add the roof spoiler but Prudhomme didn't keep it all season long. The Goose car is a problem. I think I'd get the AMT Plymouth Duster and merge that with the Monogram Duster. Not a project for the faint of heart. The Revell body is way to swoopy and all the resins I'm familiar with just don't look right in the green house area.

Could be an interesting project. I'd take the easy way out and super detail the 1/24 kit.

Mike

Also, I just want to add in, no body makes the decals for the '70 Hot Wheels Snake & Mongoose cars that I know of, the 'Goose allowed Slixx to do a decal of the Mongoose 2 Blue with Red Flames Duster but from what I heard Prudhomme won't allow the decals for any his Snake 'Cuda's to be done, so either have to use the Monogram 1/24th decals or make a set of your own.

Prudhomme's wife won't let it happen. She oversees the licensing. They've made too much money in diecasts. Slixx making the Blue Hot Wheels car has surprised me. I can't believe Mattel licensed the Hot Wheels name.

The only Prudhomme options I can think of are the yellow Hot Wheels car, the Revell Monza. You could adapt the Revell decals and do his Vega, Monza and the Arrow. They may not be dead on accurate but they're the best you can get without a lot of expertise.

I'm not sure what box your refering too? The originals were drawings of the cars in motion, the second issues were pictures of the actual models and the combo kit is a drawing (painting?) of the Snake and mongoose racing each other.

Thanks for answering the scale question. I was curious as to the box art on the model. Sorry I wasn't very clear when I asked the question was I. :lol: Sounds like the art work was pretty cool :lol:

Edited by Mooneyzs

I'm pretty good at merging stuff together. The Snake body is pretty much a Cuda without wheel blisters. You could add the roof spoiler but Prudhomme didn't keep it all season long. The Goose car is a problem. I think I'd get the AMT Plymouth Duster and merge that with the Monogram Duster. Not a project for the faint of heart. The Revell body is way to swoopy and all the resins I'm familiar with just don't look right in the green house area.

Could be an interesting project. I'd take the easy way out and super detail the 1/24 kit.

Mike

Hey Mike, yeah, I don't think I want to go to that much trouble. The bad thing is, If I super detail the 1/24 kits, all I would be doing is making a copy of the Hot Wheels Legends cars. They are VERY detailed!!!!!!!!!!! I just hate the roof mounted spoiler that they chose for those cars. I have entertained the thought of taking the Monogram plastic bodies and putting them on the diecast chassis'. That would yield a more realistic model (as if it had a fiberglass body) and the spolier would be on the trunk!

Edited by Ben

Thanks for answering the scale question. I was curious as to the box art on the model. Sorry I wasn't very clear when I asked the question was I. :lol: Sounds like the art work was pretty cool :lol:

Hey Chris, if you'd like to see the box art of those kits, you can check out my Fotki site. There's pics of the original funny cars, the rear engine dragsters, the front engine dragsters, the reissue set plus a few other kits.

They are in the "Model kits in one room of my home", folder. Pics 11, 16 and 17.

Sorry for the bad pics. I really need to retake all those pics. There's twice as many kits in there now.

http://www.public.fotki.com/lotso

Edited by Ben

Ben,

When you say the yellow Prudhomme cuda, are you talking about the 'original' Hot Wheels car, or the yellow 'Carefree' cuda? If you're thinking of the Carefree car, then Comp Resins has the correct body.

Aaron

Hi Aaron, I want to build 1/25 versions of the original Hotwheels versions.

The guy at Competition Resins did say that his Cuda and Mongoose bodies would be good for the Carefree cars. I might end up building them instead?

Also, I just want to add in, no body makes the decals for the '70 Hot Wheels Snake & Mongoose cars that I know of, the 'Goose allowed Slixx to do a decal of the Mongoose 2 Blue with Red Flames Duster but from what I heard Prudhomme won't allow the decals for any his Snake 'Cuda's to be done, so either have to use the Monogram 1/24th decals or make a set of your own.

Yeah, I was just going to use the decals from a combo set.

• 1 month later...

A lot of good points and feedback here. Just remember, in model building, where there's a will, there's a way. I have aspired to build as many Prudhomme cars as possible so when it came to the white Hot Wheels car I had to improvise. I met a person online that does custom decals in vinyl so I had him do a set for me. The body I used is an older Good Stuff resin body, which is really good, although the ones listed at Compresins will do just fine as well. Since these pictures I have adjusted the height of the front wheelwell as it was much higher on the real car. As far as these decals go, the flames and side panels were done in vinyl and all of the rest of the sponsor decals were created as waterslide. Vinyl decals go on great and look superb. The only drawback is that you really need to get them right the first time. Actually two drawbacks. This set cost me $50. Vinyl costs more than waterslide. But to me it was worth it.

DSC04697-vi.jpg

DSC04698-vi.jpg