Model Cars Magazine Forum

71 Duster,416stroked monster SB..update 12/3/12

mopar01lee

As some of u kw i like to build high performance cars. BB , hemis, hopped up , big tires deep rims. an so on.
so to continue with my build style. i like to use headers an aftermarket valve covers,an high rise intakes if avalible.

An when it come to the mopar 340 there are lill to no parts in this area . so i had an idea that some have seen in the resin area.

i had a 71 prepainted duster missing parts, so i had a great idea, i started with making a set of aluminum valve covers , an a high rise air gap intake .. then cast them. also there are no headers for a SB mopar at all that i kw of so i also made a set of hooker super comps
. my goal was to build a monster of a SB . a 416 stroker pushin 753 hp an 612 flbs .. like i said a MONSTER SB ..

i will add a roll bar , some frame connectors, an rear ladder bar set up to plant the power down. if u wanna see the casted parts go to the resin section.i also did a set of big an little 5ring rims..

hetres what i started with. had a six pack hood lyin around. an a 8 3/4 rear from the 68 dart..
IMG477.jpg
IMG479.jpg
then i changed the rims an tires .. its got front runners an ma resins M/T et streets out back on 5 ring rims.
IMG484.jpg
IMG493.jpg

ok here it is the 416 MONSTER...i wraped the covers in BMF. an painted the rest.
IMG480.jpg
IMG481.jpg
here she is sitting in the car..
IMG500.jpg
IMG501.jpg

morte to come ....

Edited by mopar01lee

Wow!

Your project reminds me good memories!

A friend of mine own a 1973 Duster with a 650 HP. stroked 340..

He ran his fastest run in 1998 on a 1/4 mile strip, at 10.18 at about 120mph!!!!

Only the natural aspiration (non turbo or supercharged) small block without nitrous!

Oh, i almost forgot to mention that the car was a four speed manual shift!!

Last time it ran, was at Englishtown dragway at the Mopar weekend in 1999 and he made a feature in Mopar Action magazine .

What a car it was.. And not to forget the driver, sounds like Ronnie Sox shifting his gears!!

Can't wait to see more developpements on your build, keep it up! :lol:

Nice scratch building on the sub frame connectors & ladder bars. Nice job all around! But then again, I'm partial to small block A bodies!

BTW: Want to see your model in 1:1?

My buddy Tom had a 383 Duster he used to store at my place years ago. Yellow, w/ black interior & top. Weld Pro Stars.

SANY0007-vi.jpg

SANY0004-vi.jpg