Model Cars Magazine Forum

'49 Mercury

Randy Kern

I hope you're all not tired of these yet. I decided to try a 'less is more' approach with this kit, and do a clean, simple street machine. The paint is Tamiya Pearl White. I started to clear coat it, but it took away some of the pearl luster, so I re-shot it and left it straight from the can. I wanted it to look like a real pearl, and I think it comes very close. The interior is Tamiya flat tan, with gold embossing powder on the floor and rear shelf. Pretty much OOB, with just engine wiring, bigger alum. exhaust tips, Rep & Min Co of Md. 2-spoke custom bullet steering wheel, and rolling stock from the Speedwagon kit.

IMG_4684.jpg

IMG_4676.jpgIMG_4674.jpg

IMG_4683.jpg

IMG_4697.jpg

Randy, this thing is sweet! It's so creamy I'm getting thirsty for a vanilla milkshake! :angry: The pearl without the clear looks very period correct. I just love it. I must finish my 49 sometime soon... We need to have a Merc theme club meet some time next year. Maybe we'll even get Bill to build his! :D:D

Thanks all for the kind words, but as Virgil said, this kit makes a novice look good. It's that great a kit. I had absolutely no glitches building it. If you look back in the On the workbench category, I did the embossing powder technique for carpeting on my Lamborghini Miura, instead of flocking. It works much better. I'll have to bring it along to the next CPMCC meeting, or get down to the next MAMA one!

Nice work, I definitely like the "less is more" approach to this kit, and also the fact that no two seem to look alike when built...and it's an easy car to build.

I like the wheels; they really give the car a nice attitude and look great with the whole theme of the model.

Where can one purchase this "embossing powder" of which you speak?

You should be able to find it at any Michael's or Hobby Lobby near the scrap-booking sections. They come in small plastic jars, not unlike airbrush jars. Myriad of colors to choose from too.

Randy, I love your approach on the car. The colors and the wheels just plain set it off. Super job!

Chris

The first time I heard about embossing powders was on a tread by James Tremblett on July 25 of this year. I can't see the pictures anymore when I went back but I thought it was a great idea....

DSC01898.jpg

DSC01901.jpg

This is how my 57' Chevy interior came out, I just thinned Elmers white glue just a tad and then just did everything just like you would if you were doing flocking!!!!

Wow! Randy that looks great.

That will look good on the table at the March meeting for the memorials. (Gary B. - Customs)

Hey Andy don't forget the coupons for the craft stores in the sunday paper, 40% off regular priced items.

If you can't find something you need, you can always get a kit , cheap :angry: