Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/16 Scale Daytona Charger

jjsipes

I just ordered the parts from Ron and the decals from Dave Van for this conversion. Looking at the kit parts, it looks like the roll cage will have to be scratch built as the kit one looks to be wrong for the body style. Also, the DOH kit is missing some of the shared parts from the Petty Charger such as the racing seat, the two small rads as well as a few other parts that I'm going to cast. I also ordered a set of H-M wheels to replace the kit ones. When everything shows up, I'll post pictures before I start the build.

Edited by kitbash1

I started my own conversion of the DOH kit this is where I am so far. As kitbash 1 said the DOH kit does not have all the nascar parts also the floor pan of the chassis has rug detail molded into it. I will be using most of the petty kits chassis parts or scratch building.

IMG_0134_zps869e5448.jpg?t=1365674469

IMG_0152_zps3d8eba27.jpg?t=1365674391

IMG_0150_zpsb81ea702.jpg?t=1365674482

I just ordered the parts from Ron and the decals from Dave Van for this conversion. Looking at the kit parts, it looks like the roll cage will have to be scratch built as the kit one looks to be wrong for the body style. Also, the DOH kit is missing some of the shared parts from the Petty Charger such as the racing seat, the two small rads as well as a few other parts that I'm going to cast. I also ordered a set of H-M wheels to replace the kit ones. When everything shows up, I'll post pictures before I start the build.

If you're patient, the DOH seat can be converted to an A100/Cotton Owens seat with some modification...I did this one for my Stock Car conversion of the DOH kit. Now to find 1/16 Belts. The link is to a picture...

http://s1177.photobucket.com/user/drjay2/media/1969%20Grand%20National%20Dodge%20Charger%20Project/DSCF2694.jpg.html?sort=3&o=12

If you're patient, the DOH seat can be converted to an A100/Cotton Owens seat with some modification...I did this one for my Stock Car conversion of the DOH kit. Now to find 1/16 Belts. The link is to a picture...

http://s1177.photobucket.com/user/drjay2/media/1969%20Grand%20National%20Dodge%20Charger%20Project/DSCF2694.jpg.html?sort=3&o=12

Thanks for the link Jason. I can use your idea for the seat conversion as well as a few others from your build. I also like the way you smoothed out the moulded in carpeting. I'll be building mine as the #71 K&K Insurance Charger Daytona.

Glad I could help. This was just a trial run of the DOH kit to see how well it could be converted to a proper GN car. It is a "What If" project with my name on the door! If I do another, I'l completely scratchbuild the floor/chassis....the kit parts are just too far off in their dimensions.

• 2 months later...

The blue #40 is Pete Hamilton's PLYMOUTH SUPERBIRD, not a Daytona. The Petty teams didn't start using Chargers until after the Daytonas and Superbirds were outlawed.

true, but there was a 43 winged dodge, as a child i went to all of the cup races in martinsville, each goodys 500 had a goodys daytona with 43 on the door. i remember dad saying petty did not race a winged dodge but one was created for publicity. below is the bumper sticker goodys put out which is clearly a dodge

images_zpsc373b974.jpg

images_zps675be8b5.jpg

Seeing these builds gave me the itch again so I ordered a couple of the conversion kits from RMR on Friday . I've got two DOH kits and two Petty kits to work with .

Here's the one I built back in the 80's from a DOH kit with a scratchbuilt nose and wing .

1.jpg

c5e26958.jpg

Edited by TooOld

true, but there was a 43 winged dodge, as a child i went to all of the cup races in martinsville, each goodys 500 had a goodys daytona with 43 on the door. i remember dad saying petty did not race a winged dodge but one was created for publicity. below is the bumper sticker goodys put out which is clearly a dodge

images_zpsc373b974.jpg

images_zps675be8b5.jpg

Yes, and it was for promotionals only because Petty was endorsing Goody's headache powders. The car was owned by Goody's, NOT Petty. So I stand on my statement.

• 2 years later...
  • 8 months later...

Hey Jason any up dates ? I ordered my kit from Ron last night ,and just to let you guy's know Southern Motorsports hobbies is also making this conversion kit .it should be out very soon , I'm going to get one of his kits and compare . and Yes we need DECALS for the Daytona !