Model Cars Magazine Forum

MAKING AN ANTENNAE BY STRETCHING SPRUE

File the head of a common straight pin from the sewing kit to reduce the head diameter closer to scale. Drill the kit anntena mounting base to accept the sharp end of the pin. If possible drill the mount thru and drill the fender also for a good secure mounting of the assembled pin and mounting base.

I don't use stretched sprue for antennae; I find guitar strings much more realistic in size, material, appearance, and flexibility.

But, this process can be used to create just the right diameter of plastic round parts or bits for various applications. Also useful for creating bodywork beading or trim.

Besides antennae bases or miscellaneous shafts or attachment posts, the stretched sprue can be used to plug holes. Insert the stretched sprue until its diameter is snug in the hole, wipe it with some liquid cement, then clip off the excess on either side of the plugged part. Sand smooth and presto! Hole plugged with little muss and fuss.

B)

I use a medical syringe needle - 0.45mm seems about right and I buy them at a chemist. I file down the sharp end and insert a piece of .009 gauge guitar string.

Once installed I slide a 1-2mm length of hollow vinyl detail wire of the appropriate thickness over the syringe as a base and add a tiny glob of epoxy to the tip of the guitar string. The result is, of course, a two stage antennae.