Model Cars Magazine Forum

Making Door & Hood Hinges

• 8 months later...
On 7/3/2023 at 2:44 AM, ChopSauce said:

I thought that (not mine at all) video was worth mentionning, for the case some of you didn't noticed it. Hinges start at around 8 min.

Very informative video, but you don't show how you "crimp" the "rivets" or "pins" on the hood hinges, so the hinge doesn't fall apart. That to me would be the most important part of the video.

You clearly show that you solder one end of the rivets to one part of the hinge, but then the hinge is shown to work, while staying together.  the video seems to show that also solder the other side of the hinge, but if you do use solder, how you prevent the other side of the soldered rivet joint from melting, or how you prevent the solder from sticking to the loose piece of the hinge (so it still pivots).  Or if you use another method of fastening the rived, what is it?

• Like 1

Please note that I haven't shown nothing at all for this is not my video and I haven't made anything of it.

The question of how the cutted end of the pin is "locked" remains open as far as my understanding goes. Therefore I am happy that you are willing to discuss that.

So, you suggest that it is brazed (which may not work with chromed pins)?

I feel like I should be able to braze the cutted end of the pin to nothing more that the closest part of the hinges. The part of the hinges are very thin so they should store very little heat, making it easy to control which one would suck the solder - maybe?

That would be certainly more informative to ask directly as a comment to the video, for those who own a Google account.

Thank you very much for your interest, anyway!

Edited by ChopSauce

6 hours ago, ChopSauce said:

Please note that I haven't shown nothing at all for this is not my video and I haven't made anything of it.

I apologize. I don't know why I thought it was your video when you specifically mentioned that it was not.  I should leave a comment on YouTube for that video asking for the information I asked here.

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/2/2023 at 11:44 PM, ChopSauce said:

I thought that (not mine at all) video was worth mentionning, for the case some of you didn't noticed it. Hinges start at around 8 min.

The Youtube video link above is but one video in the A4 Garage channel on Youtube, there is no narration but there are occasional notes regarding materials used.

If you click the "Watch on Youtube" box, Youtube will open to the A4 Garage channel.

I have watched a few of the videos on the A4 Garage channel, each one shows techniques that are achievable by most builders, with a little patience, tools and supplies (I feel) a lot build process exhibited in the A4 Garage videos can be performed by any builder that chooses to build to this level.

I personally am not at this level yet, but seeing this builder's process demonstrated (along with things I have learned from this forum) gives me a great starting point for how to achieve my own builds.

I may have to acquire more tools and supplies.  😉

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/5/2023 at 4:00 PM, peteski said:

I apologize. I don't know why I thought it was your video when you specifically mentioned that it was not.  I should leave a comment on YouTube for that video asking for the information I asked here.

Hi Peter,

For I am (very) curious about it too: did you finally got the information about fixing the pin/axle?

I'm not sure if this can help but there's a video about the gluing techniques he uses, there :

May that help?

Edited by ChopSauce

On 7/4/2023 at 12:53 PM, peteski said:

Very informative video, but you don't show how you "crimp" the "rivets" or "pins" on the hood hinges, so the hinge doesn't fall apart. That to me would be the most important part of the video.

You clearly show that you solder one end of the rivets to one part of the hinge, but then the hinge is shown to work, while staying together.  the video seems to show that also solder the other side of the hinge, but if you do use solder, how you prevent the other side of the soldered rivet joint from melting, or how you prevent the solder from sticking to the loose piece of the hinge (so it still pivots).  Or if you use another method of fastening the rived, what is it?

The hinges are clearly soldered, but you are right he does not show us that trick, to stop the solder from running.  I am going to guess and say he just uses what is on the top if the iron from the last pin he solders.