Model Cars Magazine Forum

Scratch building a classic muscle car.

fractalign

Hey Guys.

Just a quick update, A work commitment kept me from getting anything done today. I did go down the garage and get some more shots. With the C pillars done I will need to focus on getting the rest of the body done. I plan to get some more measurements tomorrow around the parcel shelf and rear window and hopefully begin to piece the rest of this area together.

I made up a basic sketch of the parcel shelf and then got most of the measurements from the 1:1.

Its a fairly complex structure with various recesses and holes. It will be done in two layers.

One thing I should add is that the two oval holes either side of the centre hole are not factory based. They were cut out "correction butchered out" by the previous owners for speakers. Because I plan to restore the 1:1 I will need to repair this area. In the sketch I Have corrected this area.

PA190266_zps8679a522.jpg

Edited by fractalign

what, you're not going to replicate the butchered speaker holes? there wouldn't be a torana out there that doesn't have those.....

on a related matter, holes like those will fail you on a RWC down here (victoria) for compromising structural integrity and you'd have to have them repaired and engineer certificated to get the vehicle registered.

just another way to get old cars off the road or genuine safety matter ?

Edited by spotarama

Thanks for compliment Jim.

Now before anybody get too excited I should let you know that I won't be posting anything up for at least the next week. I am going away on Friday and I will need to start preparing for the weekend, to top that off, I have come down with something. I will be trying to get as much rest as I can over the next few days to try and re-charge. Sorry about the inconvenience but these things happen.

Cheers !

Edited by fractalign

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Guys.

First post in nearly a fortnight, I was hoping to be well and truly back into the build but serious car accident a couple of days after the last post has left me with a broken wrist.

I am awaiting surgery, so all in all a serious stuff up, ps.....one hand typing is no fun either.

I am not sure when I will recommence the build but I will let you know when, hopefully sooner rather than later, the right hand is fine but if the arm ends up in a cast things will be very difficult.

Sorry for the stuff around guys, I really appreciate all your support and I hope that I can get back into the build once my wrist begins to heal.

Cheers !

Bugger mate. Sorry to hear that. Worst thing that you can take from a modeller is the ability to model, especially when he can't do much else. Hope the pain can be managed with amber medicine and I hope you make a speedy recovery.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Guys.

After nearly a month away from it I decided to get back into the build. My arm is still in cast but the next but with the next check up still a month away I can't wait any longer. I have already lost a month and I don't on losing another. With move movement of my right hand somewhat restricted I am finding most tasks a challenge. The last thing I was working on was the parcel shelf, that is on hold at the moment duh to its complex structure. Instead I have decided to focus on the body again. A couple of weeks ago I was looking for parts for my Torana the 1:1 version and I came across this. Titled "Torana Specifications"

It had the important measurements for each model type. I circled the ones relevant to the XU-1 since my own version is only a standard model.

This was also an opportunity to the cross reference my own measurements.

PB200346_zps47132f8b.jpg

With the wheelbase measurements worked out I decided to put this together. The lower contour gauges for the under side had the side cut away for the addition of wheels. A piece of timber was added top the bottom edge to reinforce the gauge. Another piece of ply was added to the back and a slat was cut to allow the upper count our gauge to be added. I also cut holes where the wheelbase was measured from and added axles for the wheels.

PB200344_zps09b597bf.jpg

Here is how its looks with the body and wheels added. Once all the parts of the contour gauge are added the unit will surround the whole body and because the wheelbase is already set up with the axles in place, the other body side will be able to resemble this one. The next task will be to finish the windscreen/hood contour gauge and add it.

PB200343_zpsb5995dd9.jpg

Edited by fractalign