Model Cars Magazine Forum

Parts kits - what's your favorite?

Like the title says, what kit(s) have you bought and parted out the most? And for what reason? Tell us what is so great about them.

For me it is the .....

AMT 73 "Black Cat" Cougar. They are cheap and easy to find. The 429ci engine is excellent and the chassis when cut down works well in the AMT 66 Mustang Coupe.

AMT '70 Superbee Pro-street. The chassis and engine are excellent and work great under most 1/25 scale full size Mopars with little modification.

My favorite would have to be the AMT '57 Corvette Street Machine. It has nice Pro Star wheels,nine inch Ford rearend,big block Chevy with an automatic, nice valve covers,intake and carburator. After that,the '70 Super Bee pro street for the back half of the chassis,wheels and tires.

I like the Revell 49 Mercury. Extra sets of wheels and tires, a nice Cadillac engine, and some custom parts. I also like the AMT 67 Galaxies and Mercury Comets - mainly because they have some of the nicest engines (427s and 390s) in any kit and they are plentiful and cheap!

Great idea for a thread - I am always looking for kits that I don't care so much for the subject but would buy it if I knew it had some good parts.

I would also encourage photos, of which I will add later...

Like now:

Wheels, tires and engine from 49 Merc kit (Replicas and Miniatures has some Cadillac valve covers for it):

92b26cd1.jpg

Also - Rob, I pulled out my RC2 release (2004) of the Black Cat Cougar (I won it at an IPMS show) and noticed there are two engine blocks in the kit - any idea what the story is there? Also, I noticed there are a couple intake choices - I didn't really think much of this kit before so thanks for making me pull it out and look through it!

Edited by Erik Smith

In the late 70s -early '80s I parted out more than a couple of Revell Funnycars and Dragsters! Great engines and disc brakes in those. I also parted out a few L'il Gassers and Yellers for those GIGONDO slicks! Lately I have been parting out Fujimi 911 Porsches and Monogram, Jo-Han, Heller and Italieri Classic cars!! My tastse have changed abit but I still love the drag stuff!

I like the 95 Saleen speedster mustang. It has the vortech style supercharged 351 Windsor with a t56 trans, disc brakes all around, and the wheels look ok on other late model cars. I've gutted a few of these recently and have only built 1, and it didn't fit together all that well, so they work good as parts.

I've picked up the Pontiac Banshee for the high-tech twin tube chassis that works well for pro touring applications and the Rumblurrr (Snaptite) for the killer flame tread tires. They usually come pretty cheap in the junk boxes at swap meets.

I also bought a bunch of reissue Attempt 1 kits several years ago for the excellent Dragmaster Chassis, and pie crust slicks. The canopy would also work on some altered or LSR projects. They were 4 bucks a pop at a clearence center.

I almost forgot the Revell street rod kits with the Chrome Butterra IRS. I've used a couple of those too. Also pretty cheap.

Below are the Tires and the IRS

Scott

Finishedchassisback-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

Edited by Scott Colmer

Hmmmm....The '60 Starliner sees a lot of duty as a chassis donor for several early- sixties Fords. I also like the '65 Galaxie for kitbashing the chassis with late- sixties Fords. I also like to do kitbashes with the '97- era F-150, as the variations are almost endless.IMG_0321-1.jpg

'64 Mercury with chassis and floorpan from the Starliner.

tbirdchassis5.jpg

Model King '71 Thunderbird chassis with front suspension and rear axle from the '65 Galaxie.

IMG_2560.jpg

...which wound up with the Allison Thunderland body.

mercury2.jpg

'66 Mercury with chassis from '65 Galaxie. (RIP- fire victim).

Lindberg 64 Plymouths and Dodges for early Johan 60's Dodges and Plymouths. Revell 68-69 Dart chassis/inner fenders for under hood of Amt/MPC 69 Barracuda. Revell ProStreet 67 Chevelle chassis for any 60's A body GM products. Revell 69 Camaro chassis for the old AMT 72 Nova prior to Revell's Novas. Revell Thunderbolt chassis, engine, interior floor for AMT 64 Comet

Edited by jjsipes

I build mainly Old School drag cars, hot rods and customs so my favorites reflect this. Here goes:

Revell “rat rod” kits (’29 Ford RPU & ’31 Ford Sedan): Steelie wheels, rings, caps and whitewalls, four-banger speed parts, lever shocks, front suspension and steering, rear crossmember and spring, chromed rear axle housings and trailing rods.

Revell ’32 Ford kits: Front suspension parts, frame rails and crossmembers, floorpan, rear suspension parts, bodies, Torq Thrust wheels, optional engines (Flathead & Hemi), louvered body parts, headlights, basic bodies. Definitely not the small block Ford (I have way too many of them), the wide front tires or any of the optional wheels (good ideas badly done).

Revell ’40 Ford kits (Standard and street rod): Flathead, chassis parts (front & rear suspension parts, crossmembers), lever shocks, wheels and tires, interior bits.

Revell Tony Nancy Double Dragster kit: Nailhead, chassis rails, front suspension parts, quickchange rear ends, body parts, interior bits, wheels and tires.

MPC Ramchargers Dragster kit: Chassis, front suspension, body parts, interior bits, Hemi, wheels and tires

AMT Phantom Vicky kit: Chassis, front & rear suspensions, basic engine, taillights, headlights, DuVall style windshield and cowl, front wheels (as rear wheels), firewall, headers.

AMT ’29 Ford Roadster kit: Most importantly the basic body and interior parts, front and rear crossmembers and rear spring, suspension parts, chrome reversed wheels, four banger speed parts, optional Ala Kart body parts.

Don Garlits Wynn’s Jammer Dragster kit: Chassis, suspension, rear axle, Hemi engine, wheels and tires, body parts.

AMT ’40 Ford Sedan Delivery: Main body, flipper caps, Cragar style wheels, DeSoto bumpers, nerf bar bumpers, stock steelies, rings and caps, Nailhead accessory drive, generator setup tri-power carburetion, and headers.

AMT ‘39/’40 Ford Tudor Sedan: Main body, ’39 Ford headlights, ’39 Ford style grill setup, Cragar style wheels, nerf bar bumpers, stock steelies, rings and caps, injected Olds engine, interior bits.

AMT Tommy Ivo/Too Much/Digger ‘Cuda front engined dragsters: Chassis, front suspension, rear axle, Hemi, wheels and tires.

AMT Round2 Double Dragster “Tin Box” re-issue: Just about everything in it including basic engines, engine accessories, chassis, quick change rear ends and axles, wheels and tires.

Edited by Bernard Kron

Mine must be the Revellogram '59 Caddy.

I parted out at least ten of them to build hearses, some pimped ECTOs, some Flintstone resins.

The chrome pieces of both ECTOs are useless, since they have the flashing lights molded into the grille.

I also use the wheels. Since most of my hearses are curbsides, I am left with quite a few engines from the Revellogram kits.

I whacked the rear portions off of some of the leftover Revellogram bodies and made them into '59 Caddy sofas.