Model Cars Magazine Forum

Street Roadsters, if you got'em...

James2

As with many of us Tim Boyd has inspired me to build subjects I would not normally think of. And with his latest post of a wonderful 32 Street Roadster, it reminded me of this build.

I enjoyed learning about these great drag cars from Tim and research on my own. Here is what I came up with. Link to humble build, http://s176.photobucket.com/albums/w184/fredjames_2007/29%20Street%20Roadster/

PB290009.jpg
PB290007.jpg
PB290005.jpg
PB290003.jpg
Lets see what you might have!

Here is another.

The original version. It still need a passenger seat and front fenders to make it a legal Street Roadster.

ASRrt-vi.jpg

Never did like the purple paint, so........

I made it green! I found some front fenders from a old AMT '32 Ford kit, added another seat, and made it legal.

The front headlights (required by NHRA rules) were cut from the front bumper of a Revell Hemi 'cuda.

DSC02843-vi.jpg

DSC02844-vi.jpg

DSC02845-vi.jpg

These are great race cars that are often overlooked by builders. I gotta build some more of them!

WF

Thanks for posting guys. Hope this one keeps going. These were great cars, maybe someone with more knowledge on the class could set up the rules. But I do know from my research, most were 29-31 topless fords with fenders front and back required. Seemed like any engine combo could be run and a hood was expected. Mine was a fun build and I'll just bet the 1:1's were a blast to race!

As with many of us Tim Boyd has inspired me to build subjects I would not normally think of. And with his latest post of a wonderful 32 Street Roadster, it reminded me of this build.

I enjoyed learning about these great drag cars from Tim and research on my own. Here is what I came up with. Link to humble build, http://s176.photobucket.com/albums/w184/fredjames_2007/29%20Street%20Roadster/

PB290009.jpg
PB290007.jpg
PB290005.jpg
PB290003.jpg

What can I say I love it really nice job. By the way did you make those headers? I f so you should do a how to on them they would look good on alot of projects.

John Pol

Street roadsters had an interesting history. The true street roadster class required full street equipment (full fenders and lights) throughout the classes existence. The class bounced between Altered eliminator and Modified eliminator up into the mid 70's. The Gary Burgin car was an example of this as well as the Flashback model.

The Bilby, Densham, Plueger actually ran as a gasser in the late sixties. Gasser rules were very flexible at this time in an attempt to save the class. Many circuits ran cars called gassers that were far from being NHRA legal. This was the era of the Mustang gassers and the flip top Willys.

PB290009.jpg
PB290007.jpg
PB290005.jpg
PB290003.jpg

Nice job on that roadster Jim, real nice.

>Jb, These sre really cool...are they 1/25 scale ?

thanks for the compliment! yes they are, well, mostly 1/24 scale but some 1/25 scale parts in there too. body is the austin seven rebadged as the BMW 3/15 Dixi, from Revell of Germany...the fenderless one was a resin pop of that body with some modifications and i modified it more for example i chopped about 3 scale inches off the cowl and used the tweedy pie chassis and the ala kart hemi. the fendered one basically used the BMW kit but of course it has been modified a bit. Search for "austin" in workbench and under glass for more pics and a build thread for each.

i am digging that bantam right above this post, that sort of thing was my inspiration for the fenderless car and one of these days i am going to sacrifice one of my bantam bodies to build something similar except i might find some fenders and running boards to use on it.