Model Cars Magazine Forum

Sebring Badboy Corvette

Mike

Fortunately decals help polish turds. This one's been relegated to a shelf model after the black got messed up from the masking tape during a "touch up" for the yellow. Then I dropped it, and the doors flew off on the floor. :):lol::o At any rate, this is the present state of my current modeling indulgence. The decals have REALLY posed another level of "decal hell" for me which I've managed thus far. Thank you for following along.

DSC03864.jpg

DSC03871.jpg

DSC03874.jpg

DSC03875.jpg

DSC03876.jpg

DSC03877.jpg

Edited by Mike

Interior's started and the engine bay is complete (all 4 pieces). Decals outnumbered engine parts. This entire kit is essentially a glorified snap kit. There would be much more potential if Revell had taken the Tamiya route of the kit. But seeing's 80% of what's visible would be covered by the bottom pan, I can understand why they did it.

DSC03885.jpg

Mike,

Glad you didn't throw it out. Is that Tamiya gloss black? If so, I know the trouble, you have to wait about a week before you can mask it.

Anyway, I can relate to the decal hell but I custom made my own decals that required a lot of sovent to even begin to soften. Cutting the slots on the hood was a @#*$& if I can use that kind of language here. You are doing fine so keep it up.

Here's some inspiration:

Pb150135-vi.jpg

Chassis and interior are done sans touch ups. A quick mock=up shows no initial fit issues between the chassis and body. The wheels aren't correct, but to get the wheels that would be are $40 for the set. Yikes!!

Also, I can't thank Jim Drew enough for his assistance with this project. He's been a big help and inspiration with is own Badboy project. The greatest part of this hobby is the camaraderie and willingness of others to share their experiences and advice.

DSC03887.jpg

DSC03886.jpg

Look's like an awesome car! I've got two thing's to add.

First, decals that large are NEVER easy to do.

Second, since it's a racing car, and not a street/show car, I wouldn't worry too much about the paint/decals being 100% perfect. Perhaps you can do something to the imperfection and make it some how look like race-rash? It is a racing car after all, so make it look like it was swapping paint with another car?

By the way, the chassis and interior look great! Can't wait to see it "under glass".

Edited by FujimiLover

I've found that as builders we can sometimes be to critical of our own work. Most people that see our work would never notice the things we see as major flaws. Your Vette looks good to me, especially in light of the challenges you've overcome!

Mike:

It turned out pretty darn nice. Like Fujimilover said, "It's a race car, not a street/show car. I can't tell you how many kits I have in my closet that I have not finished because I did not like how they were turning out. I think we all share this flaw. Heck, I have re-painted the hood of the Ron Fellow's Sebring Vette 4 times now, because of my perfectionist attitude.

RW

Edited by 69*Goat