Model Cars Magazine Forum

"Let me check the glove box."

I'm currently working on an AMT/ERLT 1994 Chevy Camaro Z28 Convertible. I've always felt that being a convertible, more detail should be present since the interior is easily seen.

So... I opened the glove box. I'm planning on adding a CD changer and/or Camaro Owners Manual. Might even have a huge pile of parking tickets falling out.

Keep in mind, this was my first attempt and this is in no way the only way to have an operational glove box. If anyone has any tips, or things to do/try different, please feel free to share.

Excuse my bad cutting... My first time doing something like this. It's still a W.I.P.

Well here we go:

• Carefully cut away the Glove Box lid on your dashboard. Make sure not to cut any fingers like I did.

GloveBoxClosed_zpsa7bc9334.png

• Using the smallest bit you have for your pin vise, drill out two holes as pictured. For the hole near the center (instrument cluster, thermostats, etc.), You don't have to drill in very far. For the edge closest to the door panels, I was able to drill all the way through. This makes the next step easier.

GloveBoxDashHoles_zpse226e188.png

• Next your drill 2 corresponding holes in the glove box lid. As you can see in picture 4, I glued a small piece of wire where the yellow circle is at. Now check for clearance and fitment. Make adjustments now if needed.

GloveBoxOpen_zps71dde73d.png

• Once your glove box lid fits how you would like, put the pin to the corresponding hole. Now you simply cut another small piece of wire and push through the hole closest to the door panel into the corresponding hole on the glove box lid. DO NOT GLUE!!!! Glueing here would prevent the glove box from being operational.

GloveBoxPin01_zps03a16a99.png

I'm also working on the center console. If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask. Enjoy and Build On!

Edited by MikeyB08

I contemplated gluing the door open but went on ahead and put myself up for a challenge. I was talking to another modeler and he mentioned that you could use super small Rare Earth Magnets for a "latch". Might be working on that next.

I was talking to another modeler and he mentioned that you could use super small Rare Earth Magnets for a "latch". Might be working on that next.

You can get little photo etched keys if you want to try your hand at making a lock! :D

No worries, you did good. Modeling is all about challenging yourself and winning. You did that well!

nice quick-guide/tutorial.

I did this to a 240Z kit back in the mid-70's, I got the glovebox hinge made and working but after cutting the car doors open I found that my skills needed to improve a bit before that model could be finished...it's still sitting in a box waiting it's turn "Back on the Bench".

This is really cool. You did a great job.

Being a previous owner of a 94, lemme suggest not putting a cd changer in there. Some people didn't have the problem but, those cars were notorious for the glovebox popping open at rr crossings and potholes. It would be about as realisticly sound as a straight axle through the engine block on a 1:1 :lol: . I had to put my changer under the passenger seat. The owner's manual or something would be cool in there just for the full visual affect.

Edited by Skydime

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 7 months later...