Model Cars Magazine Forum

how old are you??

Spike

Old enough to know better, but still to young to care :D

Seriously....I'm 32, but in some cases the above could describe my 60+ y/o parents :D

They don't mind my hobbies, Mom came to the conclusion some years back that I could be doing plenty of things with the money I've blown on plastic and R/C that are far, far worse than playing with toy cars :P

Edited by Joe Handley

I'll be 47 as of Friday (treating myself to Toledo! :P)........my mom and dad are 68 and 75 respectively and they've never thought that about my hobby. They tried to get me into it when I was 7 but I was having none of it. :D I wanted the Hot Wheels instead! :D

In fact my dad kinda embarrasses me when he brags about me to his friends (His age and older), whenever we have a get-together at his house.

So he surely doesn't think it's me "playing with toys"! :huh:

I'm 48 and have been building since I was about 7 or 8 my older brother who would be 58 if he were still with us got me started, And I usely put something I know he would like or a part of a model he built that I broke into almost every thing I build, ie the Short bed chopped 57 Ranchero I finished last month has the Intake,Carbs and air cleaner from his AMT 56 Ford.

34 here and i know several hundred modelers online.....i would guess about 10-15 of them are under 21. running my forums i see birthdays and i would say almost all members were born before 1970 and a large chunk of them are born before 1960.

42, built as a kid in the 70s a lot, and then got back into it in the early 90s.

I'm 36...it was my father who got me into the hobby at 6 years old when he bought me a Messerschmit Me 109. I'm married and have my own home and my parents still check out all of my finished models whenever they come to my house (once a week). Every present that I've received from them since I was a kid was model related, and they know how much they mean to me. They've always been supportive of my hobby, and are grateful that it kept me off the streets of NYC (for the most part) while I was growing up.

I'm also blessed with a wife who supports my hobby as well. She has also only bought me model related gifts since we've been together. When we first met, she actually thought it was cute when I told her that I built models. She even tried to build one (Revell's 67 GTX), but she threw in the towel when the rearview mirror got stuck to her forehead...

I have a 17 year old son, but alas, he has never shown any interest in modeling. Its a shame, I bet he'd like it.

You are NEVER too old to build models. If its something you love, by all means, keep up with it.

I'm also blessed with a wife who supports my hobby as well. She has also only bought me model related gifts since we've been together. When we first met, she actually thought it was cute when I told her that I built models. She even tried to build one (Revell's 67 GTX), but she threw in the towel when the rearview mirror got stuck to her forehead...

:P:D:D do i dare ask??

thanks for teh comments guys, awsome to see yall still buildin, hope im still buildin at them ages.

my dad got me into modeling, but doesnt build anymore

and dont worry, they aint gonna get me to quit :huh: just had to ask your age so i can prove him wrong that i aint to old for the hobby

I'm uhhhh.......

darnit! <_<

"crispy

I'm 38 and my parents showed up to the last contest I was in. They were supportive of my building as a teen and still support me with my boys today.

A great hobby.

Chris"

Same here

Bob, you know me right? :rolleyes:

I'm 36...it was my father who got me into the hobby at 6 years old when he bought me a Messerschmit Me 109. I'm married and have my own home and my parents still check out all of my finished models whenever they come to my house (once a week). Every present that I've received from them since I was a kid was model related, and they know how much they mean to me. They've always been supportive of my hobby, and are grateful that it kept me off the streets of NYC (for the most part) while I was growing up.

I have a 17 year old son, but alas, he has never shown any interest in modeling. Its a shame, I bet he'd like it.

You are NEVER too old to build models. If its something you love, by all means, keep up with it.

:P:o

I'm different, I love models, thanks to the clubs and members and my dad and even Hotwheels, I can build them now!

I'm 71 and I'm friggin' goin' to Toledo!!!

rollinglaugh.gif

Im Ummmmm..... 39 + applicable taxes .......which puts me at 43 <_< My Father bought me my first kit I was 4 for my birthday. In my teens I was told to grow up and stop playing with cars.... I told him it was his fault ...that didnt go over so well. :rolleyes: After some of my work got publishe in some magazines, his whole outlook on playing with cars changed......Now he was bragging to his friends :P All in all, this hobby is what I use to relax and get away from the everyday stress that we can encounter. Never gonna stop building....as for my wife....as long as she is happy, I get to keep building LMAO

44, and I've been building OHHH hell dont know how long, say off and on for about 34, 35 years, love this hobbie, never cost you an arm an a leg, keeps you out of the bs, and you use your mind, hellava way to spend some time with the kids, opens, your creative, side, and those around you, hellava good hobbie if I may say so...

I'm 52, pushing 53 in a couple of weeks. I started out with ships and planes, but being a car nut from day 1 almost, I finally came to my senses and got into cars. I might have been 7 or 8 at the time. But I think it might have been a mix of kits in those early years..... Eventually the cars took over, and I got into slot racing. I was probably the only kid in my 'hood that bought HOT ROD magazine at 11 years old/young - in Sweden, mind you!! And I picked up english from the magazines also. I bought them mainly for all the pics of cool rods and dragsters, that were cut out and taped inside the lid of my desk in school.

Hi, I'll be 51 in January. My Grandpa bought my first model when I was 6. Got back into models heavy again 20 years ago. Tell your parents your NEVER too old to build models. I always remind my wife when she complains about my hobby that I'm not hanging out in the bars or worse. I don't own a 25K bass boat(no offense if you do), not gone every deer and turkey season(again no offense to you hunters). Steve

I'm 38... been building for about 30 years now. I credit my older brother (who built AMT annuals in the '60s) with getting me started, and my parents...my Mom helped me w/ painting for when I was a kid, and my Dad bought me some kits of cars he liked from his youth (Monogram 37 Cord, 41 Lincoln, for example).

I grew up in a family of car nuts...we always had 5-6 Mustangs of all years, 2-3 early Cougars, the occasional GTO or Trans Am around the house.. I started collecting Hot Wheels and Matchbox as a kid, and subscribed to Car & Driver, Road & Track, and Hot Rod at age 7.

I turn 50 in less than 2 months :rolleyes: . I hope to go through my Mid-Life crisis in about 7 years :rolleyes: . My brother got me into modeling when I was about 8. Too bad he got me a P-51 plane and a submarine. Got into cars shortly after blowing those 2 up with firecrackers (he helped) :o . Took some time off for real cars and women ;) . Did radio control up till I was 24, and then picked the car building hobby back up again. Hands are still steady, eyes went when I hit 40 :blink: . Hope I never have to give this hobby up. :rolleyes:

Edited by gkulchock