Model Cars Magazine Forum

Music today.....

Music used to involve people actually playing an instrument. I have a lot of admiration for someone who has taken the time to learn how to play "real" music, whether it be drums, guitar, whatever. But the entertainment industry is getting farther and farther from actual music. They are feeding us this candy-coated electro-pop nonsense that requires no more talent than it takes to pick a pre-programmed beat track, lay some lyrics on that, and call it a song.....

Which leads me to a question for you guys... Where do you think the music industry is headed? I haven't really "gotten into" any music since groups like The Black Crowes and Phish, and I don't see the future bringing us any more real musicians. Is it all just going to go to pot? Or will there ever be any real bands again? :(

I'm stuck in the past with guys like Coltrane and Miles. Chris Botti currently ranks up there to me. Lots of really good musicians (some young ones too) playing jazz and classical, still.

Guess I'm kinda past my sell-by date.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

It's true that the stuff you hear on Top 40 charts today is mostly "excrement." These days the record and music companies literally take people and "make" them stars through promotion, music videos, etc. Talent not necessary... don't worry, we have auto-tune! They in reality MAKE people famous rather than the "old fashioned" way of a musical act putting out material and actually catching on with the public and gradually becoming more widely known and more popular via a natural progression of events.

But having said that, it's human nature to identify with the music that you grew up with. Music has the most effect on a person when they're young... so odds are the music that was on the radio when you were young (whatever era that may be) is the music that you personally identify with and consider "good."

It's not possible to be completely unbiased, but IMO the best music was made roughly between the early '60s through the mid '70s. It's hard to imagine that we'll ever see an era again with as much sheer talent as the Beatles, Rolling Stones, Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, the Byrds, Motown, etc.

With the likes of Swift and Bieber out there, I say it's just going to get worse.

You can't put those two in the same basket. Taylor Swift (while not exactly my type of music) actually writes her own material, and from interviews I've seen seems like a very serious, mature young woman with a good head on her shoulders, while Bieber is just a piece of fluff. I'd be proud to have a daughter like Taylor Swift... I'd be embarrassed to have a son like Bieber.

I'm an old fart. But I got to see all of the cool bands play live music.

JollySipper:

It sounds like you watched the Billboard awards last night..... LOL

Yeah, pretty sad state of affairs.

I have been playing rock and roll drums for 55 years. My garage band buddies and I have been playing together for 50 years. We get together every year.

Currently country and western music is sounding much like 70's and 80's rock and roll. If you like rock and roll, then listen to country music.

There are not too many good bands playing right now. I think after a few years of this no-talent music, there will be a re-surgence of musicians with actual talent

Hang in there..................

Ray Manzarek of the Doors died today of cancer. Another '60s-era name gone... You all would recognize his work immediately on songs like "L.A.Woman, "Riders on the Storm," "Light My Fire," etc.

Another '60s-era name gone...

Ray Manzarek of the Doors died today of cancer. Another '60s-era name gone... You all would recognize his work immediately on songs like "L.A.Woman, "Riders on the Storm," "Light My Fire," etc.

Another '60s-era name gone...

WOW! That's the first I heard of that Harry! :( Yes, as a kid in the '60's I can remember The Doors' music very well.

My one complaint about today's music---------------why must all of the female singers sound so much alike?? They all have that wiggly-tickly kind of singing voice that makes me cringe whenever I hear it. Others sound like they're just plain constipated! :wacko:

You can't put those two in the same basket. Taylor Swift (while not exactly my type of music) actually writes her own material, and from interviews I've seen seems like a very serious, mature young woman with a good head on her shoulders, while Bieber is just a piece of fluff. I'd be proud to have a daughter like Taylor Swift... I'd be embarrassed to have a son like Bieber.

I felt the same way when Swift first started. Now all she is, is a vindictive little snot (NOT what I wanted to write!) who writes a hateful song about everyone who breaks up with her. As far as the Doors are concerned, Morrison wrote nice poetry but he couldn't sing to save his life! :lol:

Edited by MAGNUM4342

It's true that the stuff you hear on Top 40 charts today is mostly "excrement." These days the record and music companies literally take people and "make" them stars through promotion, music videos, etc. Talent not necessary... don't worry, we have auto-tune! They in reality MAKE people famous rather than the "old fashioned" way of a musical act putting out material and actually catching on with the public and gradually becoming more widely known and more popular via a natural progression of events.

But having said that, it's human nature to identify with the music that you grew up with. Music has the most effect on a person when they're young... so odds are the music that was on the radio when you were young (whatever era that may be) is the music that you personally identify with and consider "good."

It's not possible to be completely unbiased, but IMO the best music was made roughly between the early '60s through the mid '70s. It's hard to imagine that we'll ever see an era again with as much sheer talent as the Beatles, Rolling Stones, Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, the Byrds, Motown, etc.

I agree completely, but looking back without the rose-colored glasses there was a whole lot of "excrement" back in the day as well. Who could forget the Monkees (manufactured band, but I liked 'em anyway) or "Yummy, Yummy"? How about "Dizzy"? Or Dave & Sylvia?

I have to disagree about country. Country from the last decade was a lot like old rock & roll but now it's cowboy rapper wannabe's (with a few exceptions, I love Miranda).

That said, there will always be people creating music and putting in the long hours to learn an instrument. We'll just have to find them ourselves on Youtube et al instead of being spoon-fed by the music industry.

I don't believe that the music made today will be as fondly remembered in 30 or 40 years as most of the GOOD bands from the 60's and 70's are remembered today....

and MAGNUM, Morrison wanted to get his poetry out there for the people, so he became a singer....

Edited by JollySipper

I felt the same way when Swift first started. Now all she is, is a vindictive little snot (NOT what I wanted to write!) who writes a hateful song about everyone who breaks up with her. As far as the Doors are concerned, Morrison wrote nice poetry but he couldn't sing to save his life! :lol:

And that's a new song every other day!

Guest Johnny

I agree completely, but looking back without the rose-colored glasses there was a whole lot of "excrement" back in the day as well. Who could forget the Monkees (manufactured band, but I liked 'em anyway) or "Yummy, Yummy"? How about "Dizzy"? Or Dave & Sylvia?

I have to disagree about country. Country from the last decade was a lot like old rock & roll but now it's cowboy rapper wannabe's (with a few exceptions, I love Miranda).

That said, there will always be people creating music and putting in the long hours to learn an instrument. We'll just have to find them ourselves on Youtube et al instead of being spoon-fed by the music industry.

Country has filled up with a lot of performers that couldn't make it in Pop or Rock.

A few years back they were called out by old Country Stars including George Jones and Willie Nelson and many others who caught a lot of grief in the press over it.

The Monkees were not a manufactured band. They played their own instruments and fought hard to get their recognition. They were only manufactured in the sense that a TV producer brought them together. THAT's never happened before in any other case. :rolleyes:

The Monkees were not a manufactured band. They played their own instruments and fought hard to get their recognition. They were only manufactured in the sense that a TV producer brought them together.

Well, sorta yes and no...the way I remember it agrees with this wikiP article:

"Described by band member Micky Dolenz as initially being "a TV show about an imaginary band [...] that wanted to be The Beatles, [but] that was never successful",[1] the actor-musicians soon became a real band. As Dolenz would later describe it, "The Monkees really becoming a band was like the equivalent of Leonard Nimoy really becoming a Vulcan."[2]

For the first few months of their almost five-year initial career, the four actor-musicians were allowed only limited roles in the recording studio. This was due in part to the excessive time spent filming the television series,[3] which in turn limited the amount of time available to the group to rehearse and coalesce as a band. Nonetheless, Nesmith did compose and produce some songs from the beginning, and Peter Tork contributed limited guitar work on the Nesmith-produced sessions. They soon fought for and earned the right to collectively supervise all musical output under the band's name. Although the sitcom was canceled in 1968, the band continued to record music through 1971."

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

The Monkees started out as a "manufactured" band... the "prefab" four... because they answered ads for auditions for a TV show about a band. So in that sense, yes, they were a "fake" band made up for the show... but as time went on they began to complain about being a "fake" band and they wanted to play their own music (not the songs that Boyce and Hart wrote for them). So eventually they did turn into a "real" band.

I do like some of today's "country" music, which is really more pop/rock than old-school country. For example, I like Little Big Town, Lady Antebellum, stuff like that. Not a huge fan, but it's pleasant enough. And I love the crazy hair on the blonde chick in Little Big Town! :lol:

Entirely agreed. When you listen to the musical complexity and technical excellence of some of the stuff from that period, it's like listening to classical music. The richness, inventiveness and depth is pretty impressive.

Entirely agreed. When you listen to the musical complexity and technical excellence of some of the stuff from that period, it's like listening to classical music. The richness, inventiveness and depth is pretty impressive.

Oh man, how right you are. The Beatles alone... those guys were freakin' geniuses. They (along with their behind-the-scenes maestro George Martin) were doing stuff in the studio that hadn't even been invented yet! :lol:

It's so sad that half of them are already gone.

Interesting. What I read here, seems to be the same thing I heard my parents say about the Beatles, Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, et al.And the same thing our grand parents said about our parent's music in the 40's and 50's. Same thing with the 'saggy butt' pants....Don't like em, but i remember how MY parents reacted to bell bottoms,suede boots, and long hair - And my grand parents reaction to engineer boots, tight blue jeans, white t-shirts with the cigs rolled up in the sleeve, sideburns andslicked hair....shall I go on? And our grand parents had their zoot suits, flappers, 'honky tonk' music......