Model Cars Magazine Forum

1993 Jeep Wrangler 1/12 WIP

Yes you read right, I'm going to take on the daunting task of making a 1/12 scale Jeep Wrangler, scratchbuilt mind you! I've started on the frame, and have gotten the framerails pretty much complete. Don't have pics yet since I didn't finish the frame quite yet, but I'll have some pics monday. I'm also going to start on making the axles.

How I determined the frame dimensions was easy. I found a nice picture online that had the specs of the frame (in mm), so all I did was measure the picture with a ruler, and determine the scale of the picture; using some maths, I was able to find the correction factor to convert the dimensions to 1/12 scale, so basically all I had to do was measure the frame on the paper with a ruler, and then upscale it with the correction factor in order to get my 1/12 dimensions.

The build itself will be mostly stock, with a few minor mods. Paint job will be a secret though, until I get around to painting it! :P Keep in mind I'm going to school as well, so it will be a long project!

Yeah I know about the Tamiya body, though I'm going to scratchbuild my own since it's easy enough to do. Plus I can detail easier and I don't have to cut off the doors, hood, and roof. 1/12 is also better since I can use dimensions from the 1/24 Tamiya kit and just upscale them by 2.

Anywho, got the basic frame together. I wanted to bend the tubing for the frame rails, but since it was rectangle tube, it didn't want to bend at all. So I just cut it apart and glued it in the shape I wanted, and then "laminated" the top and bottom with some strip styrene. Once I get the rest of the details on (body mounts, leaf spring mounts, etc.), I'm going to put on some bondo to fill in the gaps.

SDC11448.jpg

Compared to my 1/24 Tamiya Frame

SDC11449.jpg

Leaf springs almost complete (just need to add the leaf retainers)

SDC11450.jpg

SDC11451.jpg