Model Cars Magazine Forum

hey what happened to TDR?

Hey Guys:

TDR is still here and growing by leaps and bounds. With the introduction of the new materials available from our Shapeways manufacturer we have been expanding our offerings into the 1/12 and 1/16 scales.

Here is a link to our new "Super Store" that we are in the process of developing:

https://sites.google...tdrinnovations/

We currently have almost 200 kits, many of them new, offered in this new store. We are also expanding into the 1/24 through 1/43 scales with our bodies kits also

Of coarse we still have our old catalog website at:

http://TDRcatalog.com

I have been busy merging our Shapeways store and our "TDRcatalog" stores. Basically I have been doing a lot of behind the scenes type work....

So please bookmark our new catalog site because ultimately it will be the one stop shopping location for all of our TDR Products.

Now as far as not seeing any TDR activity........lol......well I look at the first page of the listings in the "The Big Boys" forum here.....and I count 3 builds that I know are using our parts!!

We may not be supplying complete kits but we supply a lot of those smaller detail parts that can help you take your model to the next level.

So we are still here and making lots of new parts for you modelers!!

Tim

Edited by DaytonaTim

And I just want to say... after speaking with Tim, both he and TDR are a very stand up group! I have some of their stuff in 1/16th, that originally wasn't available on the site just yet. But by reaching out to Tim, he was able to see if the part could be scaled down and immediately updated the site with the item literally within hours of asking him.

Not only in the "Big Boyz" Section but also in the "Drag Racing" section, others are using TDR parts.

Edited by eviltwincustoms

Tim, we here at TDR should also mention that we have been selling a lot of mechandise to model builders world wide, many of which are not members of any modeling forum. Therefore, those of you who are, will not see alot of what is being done with TDR components.

For those of you looking for finely detailed parts such as Heim joints, studs, and,bolt heads with attached washers check out our latest offerings of those components in the Shapeways Catalog. These 3D printed components are very lifelike, unlike the two dimensional photo etch parts that are offered elsewhere. Even though most were designed for 1/8 and 1/12 applications, many of them are very much suitable for smaller scales. You just have to do some scale calculations to determine what parts fit your need.

And as Tim stated, stay tuned as we are constanly developing new items, many of which will be readily available in the smaller scales.

Last but not least, we'd here at TDR, would like to say thanks to those of you who have purchased TDR products, and have expressed your satisfaction both through the modeling web site forums, and private messages to our company.

CHEERZZZZZZZZZZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The folks at TDR

Thanks for all the good words guys. It makes those long hours at the keyboard worth it.

I don't know ever everybody has seen them yet, but I worked up some videos showing how to finish and prep these new material from Shapeways.

Here is how you prep the FUD and FD materials

https://sites.google.com/site/tdrinnovations/m-preparing-our-parts-for-paint/fd-and-fud-materials

Here is how you prep the WSF material

https://sites.google.com/site/tdrinnovations/m-preparing-our-parts-for-paint/finishing-wsf-material

The links to the videos are at the end of the page....

So what do you guys think? Do I have a future as a "hand model"???!!! LOL... no, probably not.

Tim, we here at TDR should also mention that we have been selling a lot of mechandise to model builders world wide, many of which are not members of any modeling forum. Therefore, those of you who are, will not see alot of what is being done with TDR components.

... The folks at TDR

WHAT!! NOT a member of WHAT?! Doesn't that border on BLASPHEMY! YOU KNOW that they're NOT a member of any online forum and you don't send them here whats wrong with TDR?? What do they have against Model Car Magazines forum ? Why does anyone even Buy parts from you ?? :D

And yes I am only kidding. :wub:

jbwelda, while i'm not doing a project with the ifs, i am always working on something. it usually has some parts from TDR involved. i have worked with tim to bring you an up-to-date pro mod hood scoop, 40" wheel tubs, nitrous system components, a truly nice lenco type transmiision, a strange top loader type 9" rear, recently a strange ultra case type 9" bolt in carrier, NACA ducts, a dragster nose w/ canards. currently i'm working to get a very accurate '69 camaro pro mod body designed so TDR can produce it. i don't know what else TDR is involved with but, my stuff alone could keep tim busy for a while. LOL!!!!!! i'm hoping to get TDR to make some other pro mod trinkets like maybe some braswell 2 brrl. carbs., maybe a bruno setup, perhaps a BAE block and a K.B.block. maybe an accurate clutch can. we'll see how it goes. it's TDR'S decision on what they'll make available. i know for a fact that they're busy working to make stuff available to us all.

Edited by comp1839

I'm with Dave. TDR is also working on midget suspension parts, tires and wheels and a body for their 4 bar chassis. I'm sure, besides the dragster and midget stuff they are doing other projects. I have found them to be Top Shelf all the way and plan on building one of their midgets as soon as all the different parts are done.

We have our fingers in a lot of pies right now. Getting help from people like Dave and Ken is a god send to us.

We get a lot of people asking can we make this or can we make that. We try to help out as much as we can. It really helps when somebody shows up with blueprints, that makes the job a lot easier!!!

That is what Dave and Ken have done. They showed up with blueprints in hand, of an interesting subject, and we are trying to help out as much as possible.

I recently started working on my model for the Toledo model show next Oct. Not sure what scale I will build it in but here are a few concept pics. I call it "Stingrod"

stingrod1-vi.jpg

stingrod2-vi.jpg

stingrod4-vi.jpg

stingrod5-vi.jpg

Not sure if this is appropriate to ask or not (if not, tell me so or reply via PM, please), but what is the relationship between Shapeways and TDR? It seems that Shapeways actually produces the parts on an as-requested basis, and TDR provides them with the design specs, but this is the first I've heard of Shapeways in regards to TDR.

I watched the video of prepping the turbos, and the finished product Shapeways provides appear closer to a clear plastic(?) than the parts I've previously seen from TDR, so maybe that's another reason my curiosity has been piqued.

I will admit to still being hesitant due to the texture limitations, but I get the feeling that is not going to be a problem in the next few years as the printing resolution gets finer and finer.

Not sure if this is appropriate to ask or not (if not, tell me so or reply via PM, please), but what is the relationship between Shapeways and TDR? It seems that Shapeways actually produces the parts on an as-requested basis, and TDR provides them with the design specs, but this is the first I've heard of Shapeways in regards to TDR.

I watched the video of prepping the turbos, and the finished product Shapeways provides appear closer to a clear plastic(?) than the parts I've previously seen from TDR, so maybe that's another reason my curiosity has been piqued.

Yes Casey, Shapeways does print some of the items that TDR offers....rather than us having to inventory a lot of parts you can order what you need without additional stocking fees etc. As far as the "clear plastic" parts go...they are a different material than the textured ones you mentioned.

I will admit to still being hesitant due to the texture limitations, but I get the feeling that is not going to be a problem in the next few years as the printing resolution gets finer and finer.

No need to hesitate any longer Casey....TDR now offers many of it's parts in 3 different grades.

The textured or stepped parts are the least expensive.

You can step up to a middle grade that has very little "stepping" and is quite a bit tougher than the less costly parts. They are perfect for most modeling as they require very little finishing.

Finally there is a ultra smooth grade that is about as good as it gets...these are the most expensive but the finish is superb.

So the choice is yours, depending on your hobby budget and how much finishing you care to do yourself.

Edited by GrandpaMcGurk

No problems in asking questions Casey. This rapid prototype / on demand manufacturing process is always changing and cutting edge stuff so it is easy to get confused.

TDR actually has no 3D printers. What we do have are a couple of computer modelers and a couple of plastic/fiberglass modelers. We are operating on a shoestring budget and frankly we just don't make enough money to afford a $20,000 to $100,000 3d printer.......but........we can leverage those that can afford these printers if we could just find someone that offered printing at a fair price!!

About 3 years ago we found a person doing rapid prototype printing that was not gouging his customers. We started using his services to print our computer designs and offered them for sale to the public. This is the first material that we offered, the one with the "sand cast" finish to it. This "sand cast" material is still being offered though our old catalog at:http://www.tdrcatalog.com/servlet/StoreFront . This material is still by far our most inexpensive material and gives the modeler the chance to purchase large, unique, kits that they just cannot get anywhere else.

Now, fast forward to about July of this 2010 year. We were experimenting with some of the Shapeways materials. We where testing the various materials and seeing what benefits and drawbacks they had for use as a modeling material. After this we decided to offer the Roadster kit in the Shapeways materials using the WSF / Alumide materials and our old "sand cast" materials. We elected to use the materials that provided the best strength/finish characteristics and cost benefits. Using these material we started developing the Roadster that Syd assembled here on this website for everyone. The WSF / alumide materials had some good characteristics but there was still work necessary for finishing the surface and getting it to a model quality surface.

Now, fast forward to about July of this year. Shapeways started offering a "game changer" material!!! This is the FUD and FD materials. Although this material was fairly expensive, the surface finish was OUTSTANDING !!!!!!! Not only that, the details it could produce were beyond belief!! We could now produce boltholes that were .020" in diam and just as clean and sharp as could be. Just to put it in perspective, .020" is about the width of 2 human hairs. Now, this material is just too expensive to just blindly offer our engine kits in but we did see a great opportunity to offer some of our small high detail and highly visible 1/8 scale parts in this material. So that is what we started doing.

While developing our FD and FUD models for our 1/8 scale inventory we discovered that these new material would let us take many of our parts down to the 1/16 scale with just a little bit of tweaking and that we could offer bodies all the way down to 1/43 scale!! So for the past couple of months we have been working on taking many of our kits down in scale. It has been a vary busy time for us, here at TDR.

So things have been rapidly changing, here at TDR. The new material we offer rival that of injection molded plastics and we are pushing into the smaller scales too. So please go to our new store at https://sites.google.com/site/tdrinnovations/ and find something that you could use that is fairly cheap. I would recommend the 1/8 scale nuts/bolts or the functional rodends. Order them up in the new FD or FUD materials and see if the surface finish will suit your needs. I really think you will be pleasantly surprised!!

Tim

Thanks for the great explanation, Tim. I did page through the Shapeways/TDR catalog, but I should've clicked the "How Our Stores Work" link first, which would've answered most of my questions: :unsure:https://sites.google.com/site/tdrinnovations/b-how-our-stores-work

I just looked at the functional 1/8 rods ends, and to be honest, they are nothing short of amazing. :blink: Is it possible to make the same hardware (at least the bolts) in 1/12 and/or 1/16 scale at this time? I would definitely have a use for those.

I can but add to the " happy customer + " part of this.

I believe Tim and his mates at TDR are doing an absolutely super job, getting a lot of never before offered parts out to us guys. :)

One can only hope that his project is supported well enough, well enough to keep him busy, and all of us happy. Or vies-versa.... ;)

Just clicked through their catalogue a short while ago, and yes.....there's more bits I need.... :rolleyes: