Model Cars Magazine Forum

Fujimi Porsche 911 Convertible

GeeBee

Built this as a 'Group Build' for another forum, then it got put on the back burner quite a few times, not the easiest kit to build, but I'm pretty happy with the results ....

7770c841-42e7-4f20-a54c-55109ed5e289_zps

f05fa868-1e81-4feb-8d19-abc49422e886_zps

aa0dc883-7c90-4cb2-b1df-e508c71a215d_zps

33fbe5a7-6bdf-4ace-99dd-48fda52c6ea8_zps

I put it in the acrylic showcase I had made for me, as soon as it was finished ...

f61c050b-e4c0-4d73-b4a9-efb6236f2756_zps

Edited by GeeBee

Those are some NICE colors. What color did you use for both the body and interior? It's nice to see one without black interior.

Later-

I used Porsche white gold basecoat and clearcoated with acrylic lacquer the interior was done with Tamiya XF-64 Red Brown

Is that one of the enthusiast series kits ?

It is, very nice detail in the kit but a nightmare to get the ride height looking right

Ditto.

And about the display case... how about a tutorial on exactly how you did it?

I can't take credit for it Harry, I've been having them made for for the last 18 years but a company called 'Just in Case', based in Bristol, England, Dave who runs it is a personal friend and does a great job on them ... I have editied my original post, as the way I wrote it did sound as though I had actually made the case ....

Edited by GeeBee

It is, very nice detail in the kit but a nightmare to get the ride height looking right

regarding the enthusiast series kit...

i have been waiting to see a kit from this series to be completed. So, what did you have to do to fix the ride height? have you run into any other issues with it?

looks really good, from what i'm seeing.

regarding the enthusiast series kit...

i have been waiting to see a kit from this series to be completed. So, what did you have to do to fix the ride height? have you run into any other issues with it?

looks really good, from what i'm seeing.

If you look at the instructions, the chassis at the rear is supposed to locate in two tabs on the inside of the bumper, and yes it does fit, but the bottom of the chassis doesn't line up with the sills and the wheels are so far from the top of the wheel arches, it looked like it had to rear end jacked up,

post-2058-0-33631700-1362699414_thumb.jp

I cut off the tabs and just forced the rear of the chassis to meet with the body tub, and a few dabs of cyano' and some kicker did the trick, I did the same with the front, but then had trouble lining the front bumper with the slot on the floorpan it was supposed to line up with, it was about 3mm out of line, so the dremel came out with a cutting tool and a 3mm section was cut out of the front floorpan, again cycano' and zip kicker did the trick, after everthing is put together, you can't see non of the cutting etc, it's a real nice kit, but needs a lot of work to get the chassis, body and bumpers to line up, I also had to remove the rear parcel shelf cut that to fit and replace it, luckily the convertible hood hides all that as well .....

They are nice kits, the body looks spot on, but there not for the faint hearted .... will I build another ?? yes, of course, I have four more of these Porsche enthusiast kits to build one day ....

Edited by GeeBee

thanks for the input on that, and i have wrote that down.. I'm looking forward to working on mine, and i might look into getting more of the enthusiast kits in the future. should be fun! once i get home i'll have to pull them off the shelf and look at it to see exactly what you're talking about. i tried the Alpina BMW kit, but the body was destroyed when i was moving, so i need to get another.

Beautiful build, Geoff. I'm in the process of building the '73 Carrera RS now as an "outlaw" hot rod and have been struggling with this kit's ride height issues as well. I love the subtle color choice... it really has that eighties vibe!