Model Cars Magazine Forum

Super 7

Scale-Master

Here is a copy of what I posted back when I finished it:

Well, after two years and seven months, it is finally done! Literally thousands of scratchbuilt and machined parts, most of them made of aluminum, but also including brass, stainless steel and various plastics, resin and acrylic materials plus all the decals were drawn and printed by me.

*It's quite possible that over the next few weeks I will come up with some small things to add, maybe touch-up or adjust. I see there is a little dusting to be done... But as of now, it appears to be technically finished! This has been a most rewarding and enjoyable build. Seems like all the frustrating times I put myself through have been forgotten now.

Thank you to all who have encouraged me and expressed interest during this long term project... - Mark

(*Turns out it was indeed finished at that point, no further work was done on it subsequent to these pictures.…)

DSC01600.jpg

DSC01599.jpgDSC01609.jpg

DSC01602.jpg

DSC01606.jpg

DipStick.jpg

DSC01605.jpg

DSC01604.jpg

These are actually “in-progress†shots:

DSC01459.jpg

DSC01458.jpg

I don't think it would make it very far with no oil on the dipstick!! :)

LOL, you should put a little maple syrup or something on the end of it. B)

That is one SERIOUSLY incredible build! When I saw this the first time you posted it, it totally blew my mind! This time around was no different! That is something to be very, very proud of right there.

Edited by NJ-Wayne

I got to see this car in person at GSL a few years ago, and still can't over all the detail! :P

I have this kit, but don't think I'll be matching this level of detail anytime soon! In fact I've been considering getting rid of it at some point.

Still ABSOLUTELY STUNNING Mark, and to think you did a number of these like this is amazing!! :)

Thank you all very much for the kind words. Here are a few answers/responses/reminiscences:

The oil is representative of the oil in most of my cars, relatively clean yes. Please note the oil filtration and pump system and the context of the rest of the model.

The flash of the camera washed out the tone, but it is visible and at the proper fill level, you can tell by the fill pattern on the dipstick. (It’s synthetic.) The engine is built with gaskets much like a real one, even though it is British in heritage, my Americanized version does not leak.

And if you think that is too much, for a while on the predecessor to this car, (the Red Super 7) the fuel tank smelled like gas when I opened the filler cap. A little sponge and a drop of gasoline wrapped in foil creates an aroma that lasts longer than you may think…

It is 1/12 scale, only about a foot long, these are tiny cars.

No I don’t intend to build a real one, I have had enough experience with real ones to get over the wanting to own one for now. (But then again, I didn’t “intend†to acquire the last few cars I did either…)

I’ve done a few “stamped†or raised lettering reflectorized license plates; maybe I should to do a How-To…? (Note the registration is dated 07/07 and uses reflectorized state seal tags too.)

While I realize it is usually meant as a tongue in cheek comment/compliment to say something like “I give up buildingâ€, and much as Mark & Dave pointed out, I really hope that quality workmanship by anyone (that simply shows what can be accomplished by just practice and effort) would serve to ignite and promote more passion and participation to build to ones desired level instead of creating any kind of negativity.

I am honored and humbled to hear I inspired someone to build something.

The oil is representative of the oil in most of my cars, relatively clean yes. Please note the oil filtration and pump system and the context of the rest of the model.

The flash of the camera washed out the tone, but it is visible and at the proper fill level, you can tell by the fill pattern on the dipstick. (It’s synthetic.)

I’ve done a few “stamped†or raised lettering reflectorized license plates; maybe I should to do a How-To…? (Note the registration is dated 07/07 and uses reflectorized state seal tags too.)

I am honored and humbled to hear I inspired someone to build something.

I think it would be great if you would do a "How To" on the license plates. Would this be possible on 1:25 scales as well? I think maybe a "How To" on the dipstick, especially the fill area, would br informative as well. I would be tuned in to both!