Model Cars Magazine Forum

Foreign Vehicle build (Started)

martinfan5

Patrik, is that some stratch building I see going on?, looking good so far.

Paul, how was your trip?, well you might want to hurry up, this merc kit I started is a very simple and has like maybe 40 parts , I am very disapointed with the kit, I am happy I was able to get it cheap on ebay :lol:

Just to play "Devil's Advocate" for a second, what about U.S.-badged cars from elsewhere? Say, a Ford Cortina from England or a 2000's Pontiac GTO from Australia? After all, Ford and Pontiac ARE U.S. nameplates. I would assume these would be acceptable, which brings up the next question: American cars built for the Canadian market like the Pontiac Acadian (Nova) and Beaumont (Chevelle)? Chevy Impalas are now being built in Canada, making them technically foreign cars, while Toyota Camrys and BMW Z4's are built right here in the good ol' U.S.of A., making them technically domestics. For antique car buffs, Monogram had a very nice Springfield, Massachusetts-built 1920's Rolls-Royce in it's lineup for many years, so the vague dividing line has been there for a very long time now.

I'm not trying to be a "Smart A**" here, just trying to stimulate some conversation.

if it were me, I'd build the GTO as a Holden Monaro. You could also do a G8 GXP, another beauty we just can't have.

BTW, Toyota GT-One for me.

Good progress today. Finished the interior (24 parts) and got some more decals on the body - might give you a run for your money Jonathan! Made my own 'carbon fibre' paint by mixing a little gold into some Citadel semigloss black.

005-15.jpg

003-10.jpg

Patrik, is that some stratch building I see going on?, looking good so far.

Yup some minor scratch going on :) As a matter of fact i guess the hood will be the only part thats close to original when im done. :D What can you do when no kit maker make ready models that you wanna build. :rolleyes:

That gives me an idea, trying to build the GTO as a holden, or a G8 gxp, do you have any suggestions on how to do this, and cant wait to see teh Gt-one, great race car

The G8 shares a chassis with the C6 Corvette and, I think, is similar to the CTS-V. You could start there. Ill go fishing for some reference pics of the differences between the GTO and the Holden.

Hope you are going to bed Jonathan, cos my DTM Mercedes is almost done B) The body/interior needs a little finessing to fit better to the chassis.

Tomorrow I just need to build, paint and decal the rear wing and add a few more items to the body (door handles, mirrors etc) and she's finished.

006-9.jpg

009-4.jpg

Successfully finished the DTM Mercedes Benz without too much drama - almost ;) It only needs rear view mirrors fitting, they are a fluorescent yellow/green on the full size car. I will use a highlighter pen for this which I can get from work on Monday.

The kit went together well, nearly as good as the Audi, which is almost perfect. Highly recommended.

013-6.jpg

011-4.jpg

Thanks Jonathan, but a lot of the credit must go to the kit itself. As is the case for most of my better builds...

;)

I posted the Audi here back in November http://www.modelcars...l=&fromsearch=1 also without mirrors! :rolleyes:

Here is a side by side shot fresh out of the camera - gloss white vs. semigloss black - nice contrast!

016-3.jpg

Edited by maltsr