Model Cars Magazine Forum

Gonna give this another try

Hello everyone. I'm new to the forum and haven't built a model in over 15 years. I've actually never built a truly detailed model and can't decide if I'm looking forward to it or dreading it. Ha! I'm learning a lot just by cruising the different posts on here. Thanks for any info, tips, and help I may receive from this forum in the future.

Hello everyone. I'm new to the forum and haven't built a model in over 15 years. I've actually never built a truly detailed model and can't decide if I'm looking forward to it or dreading it. Ha! I'm learning a lot just by cruising the different posts on here. Thanks for any info, tips, and help I may receive from this forum in the future.

Welcome to the board! Don't let it all overwhelm you, start slow and concentrate on the basics like cleaning up your parts and painting and gluing cleanly. Then add a bit more detail into each subsequent build. I found it wasn't insurmountable talent, but just listening to people and learning techniques. Most of the things we do to produce nice models are just things that aren't difficult to learn, but you wouldn't have thought of on your own.

And being in New Jersey there are two good clubs there. The Jersey Shore Model Car Club meets in Brick on the third Friday of each month at 7pm. The Tri-State Scale Model Car Club meets in Perth Amboy on the second Saturday of each month at 1pm. Both clubs would be excellent places to meet people and learn. In fact there are guys who belong to both,

And NNL East, one of the largest shows in the country is held in Wayne, NJ in April. Go to the website, www.nnleast.com for full information.

WELCOME to the forum TJ, most excellent advice from Tom, we have all had to start at that same place, but most of all have FUN, cause if it's not enjoyable it will become dreadful, so enjoy yourself and if you have questions about something there is always someone on here that will have an answer so don't be afraid to ask. Glad to have ya!! :)

First off welcome to the forum and secondly Tom nailed it. Rome wasn't built in a day so having said that your model skills wont jump from where you are now to advanced levels overnight. As said by Tom , stick to the basics, ask questions, watch folks here and most importantly have fun at it. Glad youre here!

Welcome and enjoy the hobby! What kind of models do you plan to start with?

I plan on doing a lot of 1:25 scale 1920's-1970's. BIG Mopar fanatic but hoping to do a few detailed rat rods. Thanks for the advise. I'm working on a 1967 dodge coronet now. Doing drifit now modding the hood for a scoop. Lots of experimenting for awhile I guess.

Hey Everyone, thank for having my back. :)

A funny side story. From the time I was a teen up until I decided to get back into models when I was 30, I had still cruised the model aisle in the stores, and occasionally bought a kit. I'd open it, look at it, and put it into my stash. I had three copier paper boxes full of models, mostly Mopar muscle cars. So my goal as I entered the hobby was to advance my skills to the point where I could do those cars justice. Once in the hobby, the stimuli of modelers and shows took me other directions. I did develop the needed skills, but 25 years later, I still haven't touched any of those original kits!