Model Cars Magazine Forum

Another Diorama Done

javathehut4

The base is 3/8th Styrofoam, with raised areas made with the same Styrofoam. I roughed up all surfaces and used white glue. I then put a layer of plaster cloth over the whole base, after it dried and looked like it will all stay put, I added a layer of celluclay, I first added color, that way if it ever chips there won’t be a big white spot. Then added a fair amount of white glue to the mix for more sticking power. After it’s all spread out and textured , here’s where patients comes in, depending on how thick it is, it may take days to dry. BUT this is what I forgot to do, after it sets up a little and not so sticky, make any tracks, ruts or if there will be anything laying around that looks like it’s been there a long time, push those parts temporarily into the celluclay so they will look sunk in instead of just laying on top.

I then cast the rocks with Lightweight Hydrocal and color stains from Woodland Scenics, there not really that hard to do, then glued them in place. I added little rocks and gravel, then sprayed with diluted white glue. I have one of those Static grass Ion generators that make the grass stand on end, but I’ve heard that using a balloon with a static charge works also., I smeared white glue in the patterns I wanted then added the grass with the generator.

I put the trees together by twisting and bending the branches then adding clump foliage on some and fine-leaf foliage on others, the skinny ones were ready made. At this point all the ground foliage is the same as in the trees plus I’m using this stuff called foliage and field grass. A final note, One of the hardest things to learn with a Diorama and the details, is knowing when you done. Hope you all enjoy.

photo3.jpg

photo49.jpg

photo-2.jpg

IMG_0397.jpg

IMG_0398.jpg

IMG_0389.jpg

IMG_0399.jpg

• 2 weeks later...