Model Cars Magazine Forum

Not Mr. Rogers Neighborhood

Mercman

Mr. Rodgers reminds nme of a couple of ijits that unfournately belong to my Home NAZI ASSOCIATION BOARD. First I have no use for home owners associations either . You'r diorama looks so much more like my world when I still lived in the inner city of Houston . Great work ! Ed Shaver

I don't know how close you are to calling this one "finished," and you may have already had this in mind...

but I would suggest adding a few things to give the scene a bit more realism. I'd add a street sign or two (maybe "No Parking," maybe a light pole on the "corner" with street names, that sort of thing. I'd also add a fire hydrant, and dirty things up a bit. The "concrete" under the buildings is much too clean and pristine. I'd also add some "litter" here and there, maybe a trash can... those kinds of "little things" that make a diorama look much more like a real street scene and give the diorama "life."

Also... if the buildings are not solidly attached to the base, I'd move them much closer together. Most of the time buildings of this era were built very close together, with only a very narrow walkway between them, many times adjoining buildings are even touching.

I don't know how close you are to calling this one "finished," and you may have already had this in mind...

but I would suggest adding a few things to give the scene a bit more realism. I'd add a street sign or two (maybe "No Parking," maybe a light pole on the "corner" with street names, that sort of thing. I'd also add a fire hydrant, and dirty things up a bit. The "concrete" under the buildings is much too clean and pristine. I'd also add some "litter" here and there, maybe a trash can... those kinds of "little things" that make a diorama look much more like a real street scene and give the diorama "life."

Also... if the buildings are not solidly attached to the base, I'd move them much closer together. Most of the time buildings of this era were built very close together, with only a very narrow walkway between them, many times adjoining buildings are even touching.

Harry, everything you mentioned is on the to-do list. I have a lot of little details to add to it yet as you pointed out. Got some neat little things planned. I made up the street signs, this will be the corner of 69th Ave. and EMASES ST. ( read this one backwards) :D The buildinding will be grouped tighter, and the washes, and junkifying will begin soon.

Harry, everything you mentioned is on the to-do list. I have a lot of little details to add to it yet as you pointed out. Got some neat little things planned. I made up the street signs, this will be the corner of 69th Ave. and EMASES ST. ( read this one backwards) :D The buildinding will be grouped tighter, and the washes, and junkifying will begin soon.

Well, then you're way ahead of me! :D

Houston we have a problem. Hindsight being 20-20 they say, tonite I had a small set back. While attaching the main board to a base I built this afternoon, I bumped the darn thing and lost 1/3rd of the pavement, and alley way. Luckily the pieces are big, so should be able to reglue them. This will give it some character though, as now I can add a street repair crew.

Also learned that the next one I build the base, and glue the board first before any paving work.

Houston we have a problem. Hindsight being 20-20 they say, tonite I had a small set back. While attaching the main board to a base I built this afternoon, I bumped the darn thing and lost 1/3rd of the pavement, and alley way. Luckily the pieces are big, so should be able to reglue them. This will give it some character though, as now I can add a street repair crew.

Also learned that the next one I build the base, and glue the board first before any paving work.

What could be more realistic than pavement cracks? ;):)

Cool, apparently, this is a few blocks away from Mr. Rogers place. About 2 miles south, and just across the tracks perhaps? The trolley stopped running through here years ago, I mean between budget cuts, and the crime. Nice little diorama though, looks the bad side of town in anytown USA.

Managed to save it. Here are the aftermath pics.

misc002.jpg

Jigsaw pieces

misc001.jpg

After the redo. I glued everything down, using Aileen's tacky glue.

misc004-1.jpg

The holes in the street will get patched with modelers asphalt, like I used for the alley. Have to add a road crew now, to make it look like repairs are being made.

What could be more realistic than pavement cracks? :D:lol:

Harry yeah it saved me the trouble of trying to scribe them.

Cool, apparently, this is a few blocks away from Mr. Rogers place. About 2 miles south, and just across the tracks perhaps? The trolley stopped running through here years ago, I mean between budget cuts, and the crime. Nice little diorama though, looks the bad side of town in anytown USA.

That's the look I was going for.

What was the name of that Eddie Murphy character, Mr. Robinson?

Got the first coat of paint on the redo last night.

misc008.jpg

Here's some of the detail of the broken street.

misc010.jpg

misc009.jpg

Still have to weather it a bit more, and add some more detail to it. I think I have the final layout for the buildings planned. The area next to the bar, will get a fence put in, so part of it wll be hidden. Probably parking or a green space between the buildings where another building had once been.

misc011.jpg

Drilled holes in the base to run my wiring thu for the lights in the hotel, and Bea's store. Also thought maybe this for the side of the DL .

made_at_wwwtxt2piccom.jpg

I see now that I have to redo the sign. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Spent the weekend working on this. Got ythe landscaping done, and some of the small details. Still have a few things to add to it this week. So here are the newest progress pics.

Sneaking out the back.

misc032.jpg

Told you not to mix beer and wine.

misc029.jpg

PeeWee Herman incognito.

misc027.jpg

Waiting to get across the corner of 69th Ave, and Esames St.

misc025.jpg