Model Cars Magazine Forum

Next Project: Jack Ingram LMS

2002p51

So, I've started working on a model of one of Jack Ingram's Late Model Sportsman cars; this one:

IngramNova04-vi.jpg

The chassis is done.

IngramNova06-vi.jpg

It's basically an AMT Cup car with a modified cage.

IngramNova05-vi.jpg

The body is resin but I've had it for so long that I no longer remember when or where I got it or who produced it. It got the base coat of gloss white (Testors Model Master) since I shot this photo and so far so good.

I've got decals that will duplicate all of the markings on the car except for one slightly important part, the numbers!

I've been searching every website and doing every Google search I can think of trying to find those "11's" with no luck.

It looks like Blue Ridge Decals made them at one point quite a while ago but they are no longer available anywhere.

I may have to resort to hand painting them, which I used to do all the time but I haven't done anything like that in years and I'm very much out of practice. So, we'll see what happens!

Who needs decals?

IngramNova07-vi.jpg

I was getting ready to shoot the maroon and since it was important that the roof number match the body color, I thought I'd try cutting them out of the roof mask. It worked pretty well so I thought I'd try it for the door numbers too. I cut four individual 1's out of tape.

IngramNova08-vi.jpg

Obviously there's some clean up to do and they will need a gold outline but, overall, I'm happy with the way this came out.

By the way, the color is a custom mix using "Sign Painters One Shot" paint. I started with a Bright Red base then added Bright Blue a little at a time until I got the shade of Maroon that looked about right.

Okay, decals are done.

IngramNova10-vi.jpgIngramNova10-vi.jpg

The gold outlines around the numbers and the edges of the maroon panels are hand painted. I haven't done any thing like this in probably 25 years and, considering the Testors Model Master gold paint I used isn't a striping paint, I think it all came out okay. This thing will never see the inside of a contest room anyway.

The decals, like the resin body, are an aftermarket product that I've had for so long I don't remember who made them or where I got them. They were designed for a Harry Gant Cup car but they worked pretty well here.

Anyway, I'm happy with how it's going so far.

Edited by 2002p51

It's not as hard as you might think, Dave. Just takes a little bit of technique and some practice.

Back in the seventies I was a sign painter and pinstriper and I hand lettered most of my race car models because there was no aftermarket decal industry yet.

But I haven't done any of that sort of stuff for at least 25 years and considering I don't have a proper striping brush and the wrong type of paint, I think this came out okay.

Thanks.

Done!

IngramNova12-vi.jpg

IngramNova13-vi.jpg

IngramNova14-vi.jpg

IngramNova15-vi.jpg

IngramNova11-vi.jpg

Like I said earlier, I'm pretty happy with the way this one came out. Will it ever see a contest room? Of course not. And you could nit pick a few things, (and believe me I saw them all before you did), but I feel that it captures the look and "feel" of the real car pretty well and that's always my number one goal.

As always comments and critiques are encouraged.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Drew.....

Just catching up on this one.

And a bit off topic.....the car in your avatar.......is that yours??? Did you ever have it at Good Guys in Charlotte??

My son took a ride in one about like that back many years ago when we lived in Charlotte. Just wondering.