Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/16 Scale Army Vega Funny Car - Finished 10/14/2018

Mooneyzs

Niko... Thank you my friend. I am trying to figure out ways that I can improve on this build... :lol: since I tend to redo parts again and again it seems haha. and you are right that I have been trying to make each part as if it was a model of its own. I know where you are coming from where you are wanting to see this one done. You don't know how bad I want to finish this myself. But trust me I will have some other cool 1/16th scale builds to follow. That would of been great if you could of made it out but that one of been one Heck of a Road trip.. :lol:

David... thank you

Scott... Thanks bud. I was trying to nail the stance and from what I could see the body supports as best as I could. I am sure I don't have it perfect but I can say I am really happy with it so far.

Mike... thanks brother. I think having this mocked up is showing me that it is starting to come together and I can see that vision I had for this build. Now I can't wait to paint some parts...lol

Steve... Thank you. It was a pleasure getting to talk to you at the Desert Scale Classic. I have to tell you that you do some mighty fine work as well and your funny cars were looking great!!

Bill.... Thanks man!! I appreciate it. I really wish I could make it to the GSL to see your stuff in person.

Scott.... Those brake handles look great!!! I will never mind if you want to post pics of your products in any of my threads. Feel free to any time you want.

Alyn... Thanks man. I was trying to work with a different camera and better my skills taking pics. I still have a lot to learn in that department....lol

Well Fellas.... little update.... yesterday I was planning on getting the other two body side supports fabricated but I ended up having one of my sprinkler lines bust at my house and had to fix it when I got home from work as well as pull weeds. I was a little tired after doing all of that but I will be at the bench tonight as soon as I get home from work. I will post some pics of what I get done tonight.

Steve... You are welcome :)

Well guys... I got some time at the bench tonight and I am happy to say that the front body supports are finished other that the working latch that I am going to try and do for it B) . I was able to make the 4 body mount tabs for the side as well as the rods for the support structure. I think the next thing in store that I may try to work on is the Body Tin work or I may also try to tinker on the engine and get it prepped for primer and paint. anyway here are pics what I got done tonight....

Here is a pic of the front body structure that was removed from the body, I think I forgot to show this with the last set of pics...lol:

DP-Army-Vega3041-1_zps1bed922f.jpg

Here is the side supports that I added tonight:

DP-Army-Vega3046-1_zps1b2c9224.jpg

Here is a front view of the side supports:

DP-Army-Vega3049-1_zps0e00ca69.jpg

Dave... thank you. It's all statying to come together lol I can kind of see that light at the end of the tunnel.

Bob... thank you for the kind words. That would be totally cool to be able and finish this before the movie comes out.

Brad... thank you. I am definitely trying to get this one done. Lol. When you starting your 1/16th scale build?? ;)

John... thanks bud... it felt great to get the side supports done last night. If I can do a lite work each night i can have this done sooner than I think.

Bill... thanks... i don't mind at all you asking where I am getting my pics. The majority of the pics I have been using for reference have been from the snake racing webside under collections I belive. There is a limited number of pics if his vega there that i uave been using for reference.

As for the body support bracing pics I have taken a couple of the pics I have of the car and adjusted contrast and brightness on the pics to see if I could tell what the support pieces looked like. I have also googled pics for body supports and under body bracing and found a few nostalgia funny cars....one was a corvette and another a camaro that had oics of the supports for that body. I did make an assumption on how the rear one was by looking at these others and I assumed that they had to be similiar. If you want I can post some of those reference pics that I used for the general idea. Just let me know and I will be more than happy too.

Hey Chris! It's looking great!

Quick question though. I've never really had a chance to hang out in the pits or get a close up look. What does the front locking mechanism look like?

The one that holds the front of the body down when they close it. All I've ever seen is the "T" handle poking out of the front of the car.

Are you going to try and build one on the car?

I was just curious , I had a feeling you had some kind of 1/1 references to go on . And body up / inside of the body can't be an easy picture to get unless you get to see the actual car in person .

I saw the restored JJ 1969 Nova last year and I tried to get as many detail pictures as I could before my camera battery died on me, and I didn't get anywhere near enough to make me happy.

Scott... thanks bud.... The body release handle is going to be a "T" Handle on the outside. On the inside it will be what i am calling a J style latch that will wrap around the front of the chassis and it will also have a spring that will keep the latch closed. Hopefully this somewhat makes sense :lol:

Steve.... Thanks.... The front latching mechanism will probably very from team as well as the fabricator. The style that I will be doing is the latch it itself looks like a J or backwards J depending on what side of the car you look at it. Here are two pics with arrows pointing to the specific latch on the Army Vega funny car. I know its not the best pics because they were small but will give you the idea of what it looks like. I am planning on making the latch set up and I am hoping to pull it off that It will function and work as planned. When I have been out at Firebird Raceway here in Chandler AZ I take as many pics as I can when I have an opportunity to on specific cars because I never know when or if I will get the chance again... :lol:

Army-32copywithArrow_zpsbe47fa73.jpg

Army-32copy-1brightenedwitharrow_zpsdc7b

Bill.... ever since I have started this build I have been searching the internet for reference pics and since I was limited on what I found on this specific car. I started seeing what I can find with other cars to get the basic idea of what it may of looked like. You are right about it being tuff to get body up pics of the inside. Here is two pics I used to create the rear body structure since I was not able to see how the Army Car was done. As I mentioned before the front structure I went off the pics that I posted on the previous page showing the angles and what I had to work with. I did my best from those 2 or 3 pics to create the front pieces.

vettepivot1_zps16cbd59b.jpeg

vettepivot_zpsb309243f.jpeg

Great pictures, :D

right click save , just in case

ps, the JJ 1969 Nova had a body latch system very similar to that and I think it was actually a double sided hook that latched onto a receiver on the chassis and not one of the chassis rails/tubes

Edited by gtx6970

Bill... you are welcome. Feel free to save any pics I have posted. I do have more pics i could send you or if I can remember the link where I got these pics I can post that too. Some of the other pics show the body structure off an nostalgia corvette and camaro. The rear that I showed above were off the corvette.

I think its kind of cool that different people had dierent ideas on how to latch the body

Thanks Chris..

The first picture was quite clear to me on how it functions. Very simple design also. I don't think it should be to hard for you to duplicate..Probably going to be one of the easiest things you've done on this build..LOL

Bill...That second design looks way more complex! Although from a mechanical stance, it seems that it would be a more sturdy, strong application though.

Thanks for the insight and photos from you both though...Everything I see gets filed away in the gray matter and even the smallest design of something can be used over and over to create something else..