Model Cars Magazine Forum

"Demon Vette"

I have a MPC kit called Demon Vette that is a combination of several years of Vettes all in one. It has clear glass that goes from where a sunroof would be, all the way down the back. It is packed up now or I could get some pics.

Mike

That's the early Eighties reissue of the Turbo Shark. The 1:1 Turbo Shark was built by Carl Casper in the late Sixties. I've got both kits but never had them side by side to figure out what changes were made. The Turbo Shark had Cragar S/S mag wheels, and the rear glass was tinted red. Besides the wheels and tires, the interior in the Demon 'Vette might be slightly different too. The Turbo Shark had the two-wheel tilt-bed trailer that came in the MPC Mako Shark (II), '68 Impalas, and '73-'76 Caprice kits, but the Demon 'Vette has no trailer. The Turbo Shark was molded in white styrene, the Demon 'Vette in black. There were only those two issues, no others. Some parts in these kits (basic engine and chassis) are shared with the MPC Mako Shark and its various descendants.

• 10 years later...
On 8/17/2011 at 8:41 PM, Mark said:

. Some parts in these kits (basic engine and chassis) are shared with the MPC Mako Shark and its various descendants.

Dragging up a very old topic, but I just scored a rough builtup Turbo Vette. Sadly missing the clear roof and one of the exhaust manifolds (anyone, lol???) 

The point of my bringing this up is the frame was very heavily glued. Almost nothing was salvageable except the wheels and tires. How close is the Mako(later Custom Corvette) frame to this one? I know both of those kits are also hard to get at this point, but at least it broadens my search options. It really a shame because this kit had the metal springs and articulating front suspension, but man this kid used a LOT of glue. 

Edited by Mr. Metallic

2 hours ago, Mark said:

If you have a Turbo Shark, the ex-Mako frame, suspension, and basic engine will be the same.  Wheels and engine accessories, and exhaust system, will be different.

The MPC '67 Corvette and very common '74 Vette roadster (recently reissued) frames should also be usable. 

The frame from just about any 1/25 C2 or C3 Corvette should be usable, in fact, perhaps with a few minor mods here and there. You might have something suitable in your junkpile.  

1 hour ago, Snake45 said:

I have a restorable glue bomb of one, but no particular desire to do it until I can figger out how to knock the worst of the ugly off of it. Which, knowing me, will probably never happen. :unsure:

Scale car cover, or container truck with sealed doors. Snake Fu good. Not that good. 

4 hours ago, keyser said:

Scale car cover, or container truck with sealed doors. Snake Fu good. Not that good. 

Thinking more of trying to do something with the hideous nose, and then turn the ugly roof into a sedan delivery thing. One thing to keep in mind is that although it somewhat resembles a C3, it's actually based on a C2. 

Edited by Snake45